Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
M
M721 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
M
Son is contemplating a new M-70 Extreme Weather, probably in '06.
Elk, deer, antelope primarily in western Montana area. Anything he should be aware of before purchase. Thanks for any input.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Write the check..............

I have the same rifle in 300 WSM. I recommended one to my buddy as well. He just picked up a M70 EW in 30-06 for the exact same purposes you outlined. They are a very nice rifle. Mount a lightweight scope in Talley 1-pc mounts and it will weigh less than 8 lbs.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I don't care for the stock, but the rifle is as good as it gets. I'd still recommend one even with the stock. I bought my 308 used 4 years ago. I used it in the factory stock until I ran across a used Edge here in the classifieds at a good price. Mine is 7 1/4 lbs including the leupold, McMillan, and Talleys. Shoots anything I load in it to MOA or less. Some handloads much less. The action is slick feeding with an excellent trigger.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I have one in .308 it is my favorite rifle. The action is smooth and the trigger crisp. I still need to find an edge for it though.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I have one in 270 WSM. The best out of the box rifle I've owned.

I'm also impressed with Tikka.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have one in 30-06 in a McMillan just like the 308 above. Slickest action I've ever had and MOA with multiple loads.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I have one in 30-06 in a McMillan just like the 308 above. Slickest action I've ever had and MOA with multiple loads.

Oh, pure blasphemy. It's a winchester, it's not susposed to be slick.. whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
dhg Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
They are a really nice rifle - but a bit "clunky" in the long action, which is a full magnum-sized action. You'll see when you pick one up. The long action is about half a pound more than the short action. And the Bell and Carlson stock is heavy, too. Personally, I would probably go with a short action in the "ultimate shadow" - say the 300WSM, and replace the stock with a McMillan down the track.

If your dad doesn't have a beard, you've got two mums
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No glory shot with the rifle but got this caribou with my model 70 ew in a 325 wsm using 200gr speer hot-cor bullets. Caribou was ranged at 395yds one shot two steps one dead caribou. I know this does not compare to kick ass whitetail hunting or Elk hunting but we had to do something in Ak to keep us busy.

[Linked Image]

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If I had it to do all over again, I'd buy an Ultimate Shadow instead of the EW. I hated the stock on the EW and replaced it with a McMillan FWT stock Edge fill. I doubt the EW out shoots the Shadow, but I'm very pleases with the way my .270 EW shoots.

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I see a pattern here

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
That is a nice rifle Matt. Are you still thinking of having it cerakoted??

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think so, the jury is still out but the look is growing on me!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I can't speak to the original configuration as I got mine from BSA already in the edge stock, but I don't find the long action clunky or too big at all the way mine is set up. It is 7.75lbs all up with 4 180gr partitions in her and balances like a dream making offhand shooting very nice. I'd gladly carry this setup anywhere to do anything. I do a lot of stalking and hiking in rough country where the rifle spends it's time in my hands rather than a sling and I absolutely love it.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 444Matt
I can't speak to the original configuration as I got mine from BSA already in the edge stock, but I don't find the long action clunky or too big at all the way mine is set up. It is 7.75lbs all up with 4 180gr partitions in her and balances like a dream making offhand shooting very nice. I'd gladly carry this setup anywhere to do anything. I do a lot of stalking and hiking in rough country where the rifle spends it's time in my hands rather than a sling and I absolutely love it.

That rifle does carry and handle very well. The weight is just about perfect for a 30-06 class rifle. If I were to buy another one, it would be set up just like that. The stock is nice too and very grippy as compared to the B&C that it came with. The B&C also seemed long and clubby to me. Here's Matt's rifle on a template that was designed by utah708. This gives a little perspective on how the B&C compares to the Mcmillan compact on this EW:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by M721
Son is contemplating a new M-70 Extreme Weather, probably in '06.
Elk, deer, antelope primarily in western Montana area. Anything he should be aware of before purchase. Thanks for any input.

I also have one in .270 WSM. Just love it. It's great for sheep, caribou and I'd even use it on moose with a heavier bullet (150 gr. or so). Have your son get to the store ASAP & write that check before that rifle finds a different home.
Good luck to him.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Has anyone tried these with the McMillan Winchester Hunter (Sako-like, not the Compact Hunter) pattern? Got pics?

IMO the Winchester 70 EW is a no-brainer. Just buy it. They are excellent rifles. The factory Bell and Carlson beats tupperware by a long shot. Upgrade to a McMillan if you find it clubby.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I didn't realize so many put their EW's into a McM. I might have to do the same. I'm not in love with B&C that comes with it but I don't hate it either. Whats a used EW stock fetch? Anybody want to buy one slightly used? Its experienced - killed several elk....... wink

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bwinters
I didn't realize so many put their EW's into a McM. I might have to do the same. I'm not in love with B&C that comes with it but I don't hate it either. Whats a used EW stock fetch? Anybody want to buy one slightly used? Its experienced - killed several elk....... wink

B, the short action B&C's don't seem to be as "clubby" feeling as the long action stocks like the one that was on 444Matt's rifle. The Mcmillan hunters compact with the edge fill is a huge improvement over the factory stock. Also to the poster that said the B&C is better than factory Tupperware, I have to disagree. Some of my best shooters are in factory Tupperware and the factory stocks are not as slick feeling as the B&C. I absolutely hated the B&C in the rain and snow. Slick as a wet willie in a FN contest!! The B&C is also heavier than factory Tupperware and the aluminum bedding block is a joke...

BSA MAGA
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (10gaugemag, 10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 1936M71, 61 invisible), 2,124 guests, and 1,135 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,133
Posts18,464,687
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.