-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
My hunting party is hunting the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness in Spring and I keep hearing more and more about wolves. We intend to do our part in buying wolf tags to help "manage" the population; but we're wondering what kind of impact the wolves will have on the Elk hunt.

"Bears are like gold... they're heavier than they look."
GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Langadune
My hunting party is hunting the Absaroka-Beartooth wilderness in Spring and I keep hearing more and more about wolves. We intend to do our part in buying wolf tags to help "manage" the population; but we're wondering what kind of impact the wolves will have on the Elk hunt.

WHAT???

Wanted: Vintage Remington or Winchester hats, patches, shirts. PM me if you have something.

Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Oh wow... that was a weird mistake to make!! I totally meant to say September. That's what happens when people talk to me while I'm typing!

Last edited by Langadune; 04/17/14.

"Bears are like gold... they're heavier than they look."
H
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
H

Hopefully you aren't looking for calves because the wolves will be eating them all. That would surely affect your chances...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A couple years back A-B outfitters were bitching about having to go out of business because of the wolves. I don't know how much of that was true, but for whatever its worth, they were the only ones in the state complaining that much.

Originally Posted by shrapnel
I probably hit more elk with a pickup than you have with a rifle.

Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I have yet to see anyone claim Leupold has never had to fix an optic. I know I have sent a few back. 2 MK 6s, a VX-6, and 3 VX-111s.
IC B2

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
the montana FWP site has information about hunter success rates in every region- That would be a good source of info
I live in the Helena area and within a 75 mile radius of where I live when the elk are on their winter range I can see somwwhere around 5-6000 head of elk, even more if I go farther. I believe I saw more elk this winter than ever, but there are for sure some areas where the numbers are down.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

You're fortunate to be allowed to participate in something similar to what Alaska has offered and which is now a part of hunting in the Lower-48. You're truly fortunate!!! Can you imagine what it would of been like to hunt big game and not be able to include a premier animal, such as a wolf? Suffice to say when brown bear (grizzly bear) are soon to be de-listed? You know, if I were you, I'd be thankful to be a citizen of tis country (USA).

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
I guess that could be said about everyone posting about anything, as long as they are citizens.

I saw nothing in his post indicating he was not thankful to be a citizen.

Also, this "Suffice to say when brown bear (grizzly bear) are soon to be de-listed" is not a sentence.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Langadune: I have spent a lot of time in the Beartooths but have only Hunted there twice - so I will not comment on current conditions and Elk/Wolf populations.
But if you are interested in what Wolves will do to an Elk herd consider this: (Source April 2,014 edition of Montana Hunting & Fishing News [Regional News section] quoting the Idaho Fish and Game Department) "The Lolo elk population has declined DRASTASTICALLY from 16,000 elk in 1989 to 2,100 elk in 2,010, when Fish & Game LAST surveyed the zone"!
I will give you ONE guess as to why the Idaho Department of Fish & Game has NOT surveyed the Lolo Elk herd in 2,011, 2,012 and in 2,013!
My answer is: pressure from greens in and out of the department NOT to emphasize the dramatic decimation of one of the states formerly strongest and most stable Elk herds by transplanted Canadian Wolves!
One poster here relays how he has seen more Elk in his area than ever before - I hope the transplanted Canadian Wolves don't do there what they have done in so many other formerly wonderful places to Hunt Elk.
Last Saturday here in SW Montana my wife got a call from her friend to come to the ranch where her husband is ranch manager and for us to see the huge herd of Elk in one of their pastures.
We headed over to the ranch and sure enough there were at least 3,000 Elk less than one mile from the ranch headquarters complex!
The ranch manager estimates that the Elk eat $1,000.00 worth of crops PER DAY - and have done so for the last several years (for approximately 8 to 9 months of each year).
I tried to get an accurate count on the herd but could only marvel at and estimate this huge herds size - they were just to densely packed!
Again they were less than a mile from a major ranch complex!
We drove around the herd and during our sightseeing visit this long time "ranch hand" (she was "dragging the fields" on a huge tractor when the Elk were spotted) innocently commented "we are all wondering why the Elk aren't up in the foothills (their traditional calving grounds!) by now"?
Well "I" know the answer to that one - the transplanted Canadian Wolves have completely changed the long time traditional haunts and habits of Elk (nad Moose!).
The Elk have learned in the last 15 years or so to take refuge on and near ranch complexes.
This makes it tough for Hunters who buy Elk tags and for the very most part have to Hunt in areas where Wolves have dispersed, diminished and disrupted Elk herds.
Best of luck to you and your party this September.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Eyeball:

I believe that the sentence is a sentence, actually. I mean, correct me if my English grammar is incorrect, but I do believe it did constitute a sentence. And so, what about that soon de-listing?

Mav

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Amazing that those elk can eat $1000 of stubble field per day..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Rancho_Loco
Amazing that those elk can eat $1000 of stubble field per day..

And thus, Mr Loco:

Your argument is to sustain wolves. Congratulations!!!

Maverick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nope, just waiting on the snow to melt.

HINT..

Originally Posted by captain seafire
I replace valve cover gaskets every 50K, if they don't need them sooner...
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
Langadune: I have spent a lot of time in the Beartooths but have only Hunted there twice - so I will not comment on current conditions and Elk/Wolf populations.
But if you are interested in what Wolves will do to an Elk herd consider this: (Source April 2,014 edition of Montana Hunting & Fishing News [Regional News section] quoting the Idaho Fish and Game Department) "The Lolo elk population has declined DRASTASTICALLY from 16,000 elk in 1989 to 2,100 elk in 2,010, when Fish & Game LAST surveyed the zone"!
I will give you ONE guess as to why the Idaho Department of Fish & Game has NOT surveyed the Lolo Elk herd in 2,011, 2,012 and in 2,013!
My answer is: pressure from greens in and out of the department NOT to emphasize the dramatic decimation of one of the states formerly strongest and most stable Elk herds by transplanted Canadian Wolves!
One poster here relays how he has seen more Elk in his area than ever before - I hope the transplanted Canadian Wolves don't do there what they have done in so many other formerly wonderful places to Hunt Elk.
Last Saturday here in SW Montana my wife got a call from her friend to come to the ranch where her husband is ranch manager and for us to see the huge herd of Elk in one of their pastures.
We headed over to the ranch and sure enough there were at least 3,000 Elk less than one mile from the ranch headquarters complex!
The ranch manager estimates that the Elk eat $1,000.00 worth of crops PER DAY - and have done so for the last several years (for approximately 8 to 9 months of each year).
I tried to get an accurate count on the herd but could only marvel at and estimate this huge herds size - they were just to densely packed!
Again they were less than a mile from a major ranch complex!
We drove around the herd and during our sightseeing visit this long time "ranch hand" (she was "dragging the fields" on a huge tractor when the Elk were spotted) innocently commented "we are all wondering why the Elk aren't up in the foothills (their traditional calving grounds!) by now"?
Well "I" know the answer to that one - the transplanted Canadian Wolves have completely changed the long time traditional haunts and habits of Elk (nad Moose!).
The Elk have learned in the last 15 years or so to take refuge on and near ranch complexes.
This makes it tough for Hunters who buy Elk tags and for the very most part have to Hunt in areas where Wolves have dispersed, diminished and disrupted Elk herds.
Best of luck to you and your party this September.
Thanks for nothing rmWf!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Don't suppose this as anything at all due to spring green up? VG is full of crap.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
I am not familiar with Montana, but in the Cody area they offer about 50 elk permits for an area that a few years ago was open for 30 days for elk, with 750 antlerless permits in a post season.. This change was due to the wolf introduction in that area.. These bastards don't live on air.. Fortunately wolves are predators in Wy. except for an area around Jellystone where they are listed as trophy game and have a season and require a license.. Now if we could just get a season on the jerks that put them here, we would be getting somewhere..

Molon Labe

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

109 members (Akpilot, 6mmCreedmoor, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 15 invisible), 1,629 guests, and 901 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,513
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.