Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by harv3589
I didn't think my question was going to lead to such a debate. Thought is was pretty straight forward.

There is no debate whether a 6X will work for calling coyotes. It will just come down to whether you prefer some more magnification, or not.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I had a 6X M8 with 3MOA dot on an old 788 years ago.
I shot Coyotes with that baby for years and never felt lacking in the power dept.
The dot was pretty nice too as long as you weren't shooting 1" targets at 100yrds.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
I use a 6x42 on several different rifles that I hunt coyotes with. They work well for me and most of my hunting is woods and broken field/wood lines. I've shot a lot of hard charging dogs but wait on them to stop before I shoot...I usually won't pull the trigger with a rifle until one stops. Most of the time they will stop for a split second before they reverse course and that's the time to nail them...but you do need to be able to pick them up and follow them ready for the stop. They are what I'm used to and I've not had a problem with them yet...all the below are with fixed 6's:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nice pics. I was going to post something about how a good fitting stock helps acquire the target faster and is more noticeable on higher powered scopes, especially on moving targets-- but I need to go read some more JB so I have something to say. blush laugh

Mule Deer, no offense intended.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
None taken!

I should admit that I've had 6x scopes on varmint rifles in the past, and probably will again. The last one was on a .220 Swift, partly because a 6x36 Leupold was the only appropriate scope lying around loose when the rifle showed up.

Probably have shot 85% of the coyotes I've killed with 6x, whether the scope was a variable or fixed. In fact the last one I killed was with a 6-24x I was "field-testing" set on 6x....

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Again, the type of terrain that you hunt will have a lot to do with your likes and dislikes. I wish that guys would say I hunt in xyZ type of terrain and xyz scope power works well for me.

Back in my competition days, we carried a "novice" hunter with us once a month on non competition hunts to introduce them to predator calling. It never ceased to amaze me just how different people are in their hand eye coordination in how they can pick up animals in a scope, no matter what power the scope is set on. Just a general observation that guys that had been involved in shot gun shooting sports seemed to pick up aniamls very quickly in the scope. I carried a 22/250 Rem 700 for the novices and kept the scope power screwed down on 3x(3.5x10 leupold).

Talking about, "I like this, or I like that" kind of scope is worthless conversation unless you mention the application(type of terrain) that the scope is used in. The hunting in S. Dakota And Wyoming is a lot different than the hunting in S. Arizona. Also, East and West Washington State are different types of calling terrain, etc...you get the picture.

I don't meant to step on anyone's toes, but a lot of novices read these threads and take the info to heart. So, help a guy out and tell him the conditions you are hunting in, many will appreciate the information.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Keith, a good point, not only for scopes but for all shooting .. Rifles, calibers, bullets, etc.

Molon Labe
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
For me it will be used in some open terrain with pockets of bush around...fairly flat as well!

Rob
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I find 6 powers work well on my 17hmr's because if the squril or prarie dog is to small in the scope it is to far away.
Steve

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
It was easy to infer that the OP was not hunting the thick brush, as he wondered whether a 6x scope or higher powered variable was wanted. If he had mentioned a 6x or 1.5-4, it would have warranted a question as to the terrain hunted. But knowing that a 6x has worked fine for me in open terrain (and even in multiple coyote hunting tournaments), their was no need to complicate the matter with further questioning.

IC B3

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Prairie goat, I am sorry that you might have felt that my comment was directed at you, it was not. When I am hunting in the conditons similar to yours, my scope is usually on anywhere from 4x-7x depending on the gut feeling I get as to how thick the brush is down wind.

Also, I love shooting crows. On blue bird days, I will take shots on crows from 200-350 yards depending on the wind. On these shots, I like to have the magnification.

With the new scopes that are coming out in 2x-16x, these would make awesome predator calling scopes.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
If the new variables stay in-line, they will be good scopes. Unfortunately I've seen far, far too many variables that would not.

That's my primary reasoning for the fixed power - reliability. IME, one has to go to one of the heavy duty variables to retain reliability, such as the SWFA or Mark 6 Leupold.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
If the new variables stay in-line, they will be good scopes. Unfortunately I've seen far, far too many variables that would not.

That's my primary reasoning for the fixed power - reliability. IME, one has to go to one of the heavy duty variables to retain reliability, such as the SWFA or Mark 6 Leupold.

I'm inclined to agree. I have one friend that swears by Burris XTR's but for the money I think I'd go SWFA.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by harv3589
I was going to use a FX3 6x42 on my .223 for coyotes but am wondering if I should go to a variable with more power?

I'd not fret a 6 for distance, but would on close calls.

I prefer a variable, as I only want 2-3 on the low end for the surprises that show up at you feet, but want the extra power of a 10-12 for the distant pokes when you have time to range.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't see any problems with having a variable scope on your calling rifle. All of mine do and start at 6X. I like to have the top end at 18X or 20X for the opportunity at a long range coyote. Leave it at 6X on the stand land dial up to what you need depending on distance

If you need to take advice from someone in this, there's no reason to look further than Scenarshooter who is probably the most prolific coyote killer alive.

I've never seen him post a pic of a rifle with a straight 6X scope mounted on it

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Rob,

I've killed coyotes using a 6x, but mostly in more wooded country. In really big, open country I'd rather have a 10x. What kind of terrain do you hunt?

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
If you are calling, IMO, 6x is too much. I missed some opportunities when the coyotes came in from unexpected directions and were so close I could not find them and aim properly when I had a 6x. Unfortunately, they used terrain to get away before I could find them. Field of view can be too small.

I use a 2.5-8x36 for my calling rifle. I keep it at about 4x. I seldom turn it up except at the range testing loads or sighting in. I shoot out to 450 without cranking the scope up.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Originally Posted by AB2506
If you are calling, IMO, 6x is too much. I missed some opportunities when the coyotes came in from unexpected directions and were so close I could not find them and aim properly when I had a 6x. Unfortunately, they used terrain to get away before I could find them. Field of view can be too small.

I use a 2.5-8x36 for my calling rifle.

+1

Have been calling coyotes for many years and have tried just about every scope made, the Leupold 2.5-8x is my favorite

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by boatanchor
the Leupold 2.5-8x is my favorite

Getcha one of these...

[Linked Image]

T
TWR Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
T
I've never even looked through a fixed 6x but as I've said a bazillion times, I keep all my scopes on their lowest power in case of a close shot. There's plenty of time to crank it up when one hangs up way out there.

Most of my scopes are 3.5-10's but I do have a 1-6 that shows me 6x is plenty for a 400 yard shot but my concern is as I said, up close, regardless of what terrain you're hunting in.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

659 members (1eyedmule, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugeman, 71 invisible), 2,864 guests, and 1,376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,478
Posts18,451,845
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.