Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
All of my most used firearms i have left have the ability to use a suppressor on the. So i figured instead of my wife using my suppressed .308 or .300 win mag for another season, i would get her kimber Montana threaded along with her own suppressor. I know it's a little unusual, but 7.6 lbs ready to hunt is kind of neat. The rifle has been painted and bedded by Karnis. Had a zeiss 3-9 on it, but now it has a zeiss conquest 4.5-14 sitting in talley lw mounts. She says she wanted a little more magnification for picking off small piglets that was taunting her last year at about 300 yards. Barrel has been cut down and threaded to 18" . Yankee hill machine titanium .30 caliber suppressor. All in all a very nice light package, even with the suppressor on it. Kind of make me chuckle when i see it. Have not shot it yet. Cant wait to try her out! All i can say is its different.
[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I was happy for you when I saw the title, then I opened the thread and saw the "Montana together" bit as well, now I am happy for your wife.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Nice! What is it chambered for?

By my measurements, the Kimber 84M contour doesn't have quite enough diameter at 18" to provide the minimum shoulder requirements for 1/2x28 threads. Are you indexing the suppressor off the muzzle?

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Sorry, its chambered for .243 winchester. The gunsmith cut it 1/2x28 then he makes the adapters for it. He said it had enough shoulder for the adapter. He is a class 3 sot gunsmith that I've been using here in Texas. Here is pic of the shoulder and adapter prairegoat. It kimber looks to be about .683, where it is shouldered. My tikka .300 win mag looks to be about .71 on my calipers.

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
The Kimber is a great platform for a 243. Makes for a really nice rifle!

I was going by TBAC thread specs. The Kimber is pretty darned close to spec @ 18" (like .015" under), so I suspect you're fine. Especially if your smith wasn't worried. Was mostly just curious if you were indexing off the muzzle, which isn't the case.

Pretty freakin' cool!

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by spiwonka
Sorry, its chambered for .243 winchester. The gunsmith cut it 1/2x28 then he makes the adapters for it. He said it had enough shoulder for the adapter. He is a class 3 sot gunsmith that I've been using here in Texas. Here is pic of the shoulder and adapter prairegoat.

[Linked Image]

Now get him to cut another adapter with a coke bottle thread on the end of it.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Now everybody knows that only works in the movies jstuart! The thread adapter will be sem-permanent using rocktite! The rifle shot a little under a inch using federal fusion ammo, so i can't wait to see how this change effected it! This suppressor tax stamp came in last week and was right at ten month wait. A aac element 2 rimfire suppressor came in a week earlier and was nine months and change.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by spiwonka
Now everybody knows that only works in the movies jstuart! The thread adapter will be sem-permanent using rocktite! The rifle shot a little under a inch using federal fusion ammo, so i can't wait to see how this change effected it! This suppressor tax stamp came in last week and was right at ten month wait. A aac element 2 rimfire suppressor came in a week earlier and was nine months and change.

Used to be able to buy them in South Australia for $3.50 in the early eighties, they worked fine on .22's...a GSA worked better but the adapter would be handy to toss in the toolbox for emergencies.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I heard Jstuart, that a little stuff animal filler from walmart worked inside of said coke cans also for .22 rimfire! Little electrical tape works in a pinch, also!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I love it! I had thought many times about getting my Montana threaded so I could use my suppressors but was told by several gunsmiths they were unsure if there would be enough shoulder, so I resigned to just wait until I rebarrel and I'd get a custom contour with a little extra steel, like the Lilja everybody uses. I'm glad to see it actually does work with the factory contour.

Would love to hear how much POI shift you get with the thin barrel when you get around to shooting it.

Looks like a fantastic hunting set up, congrats!

If 2nd amendment rights can be subject to licensing and fees, how was the poll tax unconstitutional?
IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Very cool!

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by RyeDaddy
I love it! I had thought many times about getting my Montana threaded so I could use my suppressors but was told by several gunsmiths they were unsure if there would be enough shoulder, so I resigned to just wait until I rebarrel and I'd get a custom contour with a little extra steel, like the Lilja everybody uses. I'm glad to see it actually does work with the factory contour.

Would love to hear how much POI shift you get with the thin barrel when you get around to shooting it.

Looks like a fantastic hunting set up, congrats!

I've got the thread cut the same diameter as the barrel no shoulder in my 300mag and never had a problem. Its on and off a lot too

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
It's different, I'll give you that.

How does that big can hanging on the end of the barrel affect the balance and handiness of the outfit? Looks a little unwieldy to me on a light, mild-recoiling rifle.....

Out of curiosity, what is your impression of the noise reduction on, say, a 100-gr bullet at 3000 fps? Is it enough to forego ear protection?

I was hoarding when hoarding wasn't cool.
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It seems to balance much better then it looks like it should, but I'm use to my heavy barrel running a heavy suppressor. In one of my earlier posts i had said the stuff i use to attach adapters is rocktite, but its called rocksett! I have no clue if it's hearing safe, but it's just a hair louder then my .308 suppressed, just a different pitch!

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I had given her a nice barrel cleaning before i headed to my range. Groups were shot at 110 yards. After the second group, they kept shrinking! Had to head to my work after the fourth group. Average of four groups was 1.25 including first two groups of 1.5". Its like a toy when shooting it, negligible recoil and pretty quite for short barrel .243, i compare it to a .22 cci stinger being shot! Which is mostly the bullet breaking the sound barrier. Last group was 5/8. This was using the old style federal fusion. Hopefully the new stuff that is coated will shoot the same, i have about three boxes of the old stuff left. Then i have two boxes of them coated with some kind of powder, then three boxes where the bullet looks like it has some sort of shiny moly on them. Kind of glad she wanted to use a little larger scope, as it brings a little weight towards the receiver, as the titanium suppressor adds 15 oz on the end of the barrel!
[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

76 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 7 invisible), 1,583 guests, and 734 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,547
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.