Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, I've been working on two methods of improving Tikka's bedding system for 2 years now. You really only have 3 choices to improve the existing bedding/lug design.

1) Build a custom lug, and Tig weld it into the existing recoil lug slot.

2) Install a custom designed and built "coffin style" recoil lug between the barrel and the action, after the action has been faced off to remove the champfer. (This is the lug and machining I developed and have been using for my last 5 custom Tikka builds)

3) Pillar bed the factory stock, and "glass" bed the factory style recoil lug into the factory or aftermarket stock.

I did quite a bit of work this winter, with several factory stocks, perfecting the method of pillar and glass bedding the factory Tikka stock. As some of you well know, the factory lug design, and how it relates to the stock and action, can pose a problem for "proper" bedding.

We want perfect pillar contact, and perfect bedding contact all around the recoil lug, without accidentally filling up the lug lug slot in the action, or even having any bedding material get between the recoil lug slot in the action, and the top of the recoil lug. There isn't much contact to begin with, and any bedding material will take more away, and change the whole bedding elevation and create stress on the barreled action after it's cleaned up. I feel that the only way you can do a perfect job with having to install pillars, is to do it in 3 steps...waiting 24 hours between steps (for the bedding to fully cure) before I start the next step. If working with an aftermarket stock, with pillars already installed, it still takes two steps. I've been using Devcon 10110, and aluminum pillars that can be machined to the perfect length.

I enjoy doing this so much, I bought a mill to ensure the inletting, and bedding clean-up are perfect, and am going to do more of this in the future.

As you can see in the pics, the factory lug gets effectively, glued into the stock. The way the Tikka action is shaped, allows bedding material to completely surround , and encompass the recoil lug. Only the bearing surface of the lug is exposed, the remaining area supports the action with bedding material. I also leave a 1/2" pad of bedding under the barrel shank. This might not be necessary, but I like a little there for support, and I feel it ties everything together. The pictures aren't the greatest, but I think you'll get the idea.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

The Pillars-
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And the rifle that I also painted-
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i784.photobucket.com/al...eddingSynthetic-11_zps317ec3af.jpg[/img]

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

GB1

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Hey, good work, Al. You definitely have done your homework with the upgrade. I'll be testing a "new to me" .308 next week. We'll see how things go before I contact you for a little "follow up".

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Why not use a steel or titanium lug in lieu of the aluminum factory model? Just asking

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm replacing all my lugs with steel. The one in the top picture is a steel upgrade. I just used the aluminum one in the other pics for fitting. Seems I put it together and take it apart 2 dozen times while I'm inletting, fitting the pillars to the stock, checking for barrel clearance, and centering the barrel in the channel.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
You ready for me to send you a couple???? Looks good

Also paint job looks great!

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Looks good Al

Life is just one damned thing after another
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've got a 4th option for you...dovetail the receiver slot.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am going to glue the lug to my action before bedding when I finally get my McMillan.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by yukonal
I'm replacing all my lugs with steel. The one in the top picture is a steel upgrade. I just used the aluminum one in the other pics for fitting. Seems I put it together and take it apart 2 dozen times while I'm inletting, fitting the pillars to the stock, checking for barrel clearance, and centering the barrel in the channel.

Nice... Have you seen that titanium lug and pillars that Lumley Arms sells? I like what you are doing.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
How much of an accuracy improvement have you found from your bedding upgrade?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very interesting stuff.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by doubletap
How much of an accuracy improvement have you found from your bedding upgrade?

None at 100, some at 200, and a lot at 300 and 400. The biggest gain has been in the consistency of the group sizes at distance. Not seeing changes in vertical and horizontal group dispersion from one range session to the next. Just good, consistent accuracy.

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Here's one of my competition rifles that I did right after the above rifle. It is a rare Tikka Super Varmint in .223 Rem. Beretta stopped importing these in 2005.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Ready to go with my "custom built" rear bag rider made out of a piece of American Walnut that I have in the shop.

[Linked Image]

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Looks like Al is cultivating a "niche market".
Not to hijack, were do I find the Tikka bolt stop removal video, U Tube?

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You want "removal" or "bolt stop modification"?

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Very nice yukonal. Thanks for posting this. I'll get me a Tikka one of these days and probably do the same mods...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
How about some pictures of targets to prove your claims.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by yukonal
You want "removal" or "bolt stop modification"?

I'm not aware of a modification. I was asking about the technique, which I once knew of taking off the shroud and replacing it.

yukonal Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Joe,

You want "bolt shroud removal". I think there is also "bolt stop modification". When you go to youtube, search "tikkashooters" and Jason is the guy that has posted a lot of the "how to" videos there. Also check out:

www.tikkashooters.com

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thanks Al, I just came back from You Tube and remembered how it was done.
I'll check out the other link too.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

674 members (10gaugeman, 1minute, 12344mag, 1beaver_shooter, 1eyedmule, 10ring1, 63 invisible), 3,091 guests, and 1,310 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,698
Posts18,456,728
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.