-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm a registered nurse on a cardiac unit at a local community hospital. Naturally I work with all woman mostly but they all know I'm the "knife guy". Most broads carry scissors and kelly clamps. Not many days go by that my colleagues don't ask for my Alan Davis liner lock(not by name) for any number of tasks. Yes there was a learning curve teaching numerous, no common sense women how to work a liner lock. Luckily we have a maintenance department for chores that would damage it.

GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
The only time I hand over my knife(knives) is at deer camp. Even then I am right there. I did allow a couple people to borrow that big Santoku Dale made for me and a one of my VG-10 Nakiris. Thngs got a little iffy about getting them back, no one wanted to part with them.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I do not loan my knife(s). If it is necessary, I'll do the cutting for someone but my knife goes right back in my pocket... or sheath.

I suppose if I were going to carry a "loan out" knife it would be a SAK with several blades for several chores.

I can not imagine a man not having a good pocket knife in his pants pocket. Any man too unthinking to carry a knife certainly does not know how to use mine. grin

L.W.

"Always go straight forward, and if you meet the devil, cut him in two and go between the pieces." (William Sturgis, clipper ship captain, 1830s.)
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I love knives, and I have seen too many people do stupid crap with a knife to ever loan on of mine.

My edc is a Benchmade 940 that I bought second hand, and for some reason, I just really like that knife. I carried a Benchmade AFCK for years, and I still do on occasion.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by poboy
How a man could make a day without a knife is beyond me.

most of today's yutes are not real men. GenXers and millennials. They are not like 'us'. shocked

..........and I'd NEVER loan a knife. If they know knives, they already have their own, if they don't have one, they can't be trusted with one of mine.

Sam......

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by MOGC
My son was carrying a small Benchmade AFCK and later told me no way would he have loaned any of them his knife for any reason. Smart kid...

Yes....very smart kid. Took me many years to learn this lesson. I would loan my brother a knife if he asked. Anyone else can GFY.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

most of today's yutes are not real men. GenXers and millennials. They are not like 'us'. shocked

..........and I'd NEVER loan a knife. If they know knives, they already have their own, if they don't have one, they can't be trusted with one of mine.

Exactly! My boys also carry their own knives, good qual and like me, cannot understand folks not carrying a knife and do not loan a knife to anyone.
I violated my rule once many years ago and wound up with a tip-less Buck 110.
In todays world of good multi tools there is no reason a man doesn't carry one of that style at the minimum. I carry both a Leatherman and a small Charlie May daily. At work the May is subbed out for a KOA Master Guide folder.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I was in a Sam's Club a while back and the workers had just brought a plastic wrapped pallet down and no one had a knife to cut the straps and plastic. They saw me walking by and asked to borrow my neck knife. They were totally shocked when I said no but would gladly cut it for them. Told me I could not cross the barrier, so I walked on without them getting their pallet opened.
It is really shocking to me that guys do not at least carry a small traditional pen knife. What do they scrape the dirt from under their nails with?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I really like the Paraframe Mini.

Really hard to not have handy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 4ager

If I have pants on, then I have a knife. Been that way since I was old enough to wear long pants.

Interesting way to put it ... but true. First thing in the morning, as soon as I get my pants on, I'm reaching for a pocket knife.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

After loaning my knive(s) to the same guy(s) 4 days in a row at work this week, I finally asked the one why the hell he doesn't buy a pocket knife for work..........

J
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
J

Right.
Or a Woman. The only people who can borrow my knife are my Wife/Chic or my Son and Daughters. Plus about 2 good friends.
But they don't ask because they have solid knives of their own (little bitty ones for The Girls, but good nonetheless).

I get asked several times a week "hey, you gotta knife"? well sure but I'll use it : ) it's impossible to hand over a shaving blade to a heathen.

John

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
My name is Keith and I am a knife-aholic......

I usually have 3 on me at all times...a Leather man, Spyderco Scott VG-10 and a small Victoronix pocket knife. I do not lend people my knives. However I will cut something for them.

I feel naked without one when I am forced to fly

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

After loaning my knive(s) to the same guy(s) 4 days in a row at work this week, I finally asked the one why the hell he doesn't buy a pocket knife for work..........

Got so bad for me, I gave him one of my old ones and thought he'd loose it with in a week. To my surprise its 3 years later and he still has it.

When it comes to knives and guns, what does NEED have to do with it?
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yesterday I loaned my Kershaw to a guy. 5 minutes later another guy comes up and asks to borrow it. I gave him one of those folding razor knives out of my tool box.

4 hours later, I had to ask for my Kershaw back.......

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by eh76
My name is Keith and I am a knife-aholic......

I usually have 3 on me at all times...a Leather man, Spyderco Scott VG-10 and a small Victoronix pocket knife. I do not lend people my knives. However I will cut something for them.

I feel naked without one when I am forced to fly

One of the main reasons I don't Fly anymore. If I can't take my knife, I don't need to be going there! I Can't imagine ANY Man not carrying a knife. I don't loan mine out either. But I will cut something for someone if they ask. They usually back up when I open up a 4" Switchblade cool

I've given all my Neices & Nephews pocket knifes as soon as they were old enough to be responsible with one. I also have given them all a new hunting knife when they shot their first deer.

I always carry two pocket knifes. A Spyderco Police Serrated model that I use everyday for cutting the twine off of Round Hay Bales that we feed our cows. And usually a 4" BenchMade folder that I've had for nearly 20 years, now.
And yes, I'm a knife-aholic, too. I have at least 25 pocket knifes and at least 20 custom hunting knifes. Mostly Dosier & Ingrams. Bought another real nice Dozier Custom from Bob himself at the Tulsa Show a few weeks ago.

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you are a knife-aholic with 45 knives or so, they may not have a word for me shocked I have sold off easily 100 in the last year or so and didn't even make a dent.

Knife guys tend to be real good fellers, IME.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 2muchgun

Same reason the guy who doesn't wear a watch needs to know what time it is every fifteen minutes.
When I was working and a guy would ask what time it was I'd lie to him and tell him it was about 30-40 minutes earlier than it really was so he'd think it was longer until lunch or quitting time. grin

BTW Ken,,, if those guys keep borrowing your knife let me know. I'll send my little GEC25 over for a while. That baby's razor sharp blade and 400lb back spring with half stops will put an end to that quick.
I'm telling ya,,, it's like a frikin little Alligator:)

PS,,, make sure you have a good supply of band aids before loaning it out though.

Last edited by FieldGrade; 04/17/14.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Mannlicher

That's what i was going to say.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by rickmenefee
I was tit deep in a swamp trapping beaver. Another trapper who was very young ask to borrow my knife. I was setting a conibear
turner around he was trying to cut #9 wire with my pocketknife.

Likely I would have punched him in the brain if that were mine.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

507 members (280fan, 22kHornet, 222Sako, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 40 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,090 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,286
Posts18,467,868
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.