-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my outfitter always appreciated the fact that I could make more $$ in town running my biz than I could working for him.

some of the poor gents I worked alongside, counted on the cash they earned from guiding to get them through the winter.

don't know why he insisted upon paying me at the top of the pay scale, but I appreciated why he thought I was worth it to his outfit.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
GB1

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by 2legit2quit

it was common for us to piggy back the new clients to the beach,

When the day comes that I need to be carried ashore to avoid getting wet setting out on a hunt is the day that earlier, my nuts got caught in the airplane's door hinge and ripped loose. YGBFKM.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sadly, he is not...

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by kamo_gari

it was common for us to piggy back the new clients to the beach,

When the day comes that I need to be carried ashore to avoid getting wet setting out on a hunt is the day that earlier, my nuts got caught in the airplane's door hinge and ripped loose. YGBFKM.

That's what I was thinking. Well...maybe not "nuts ripped off", but something equally excruciating. The mental image of losing my nuts is strong, too strong to think of anything else at this moment. frown crazy

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
just a running joke between the flight service and the guides Mark

mainly perpertrated by the son of the guy that owned the flying service.

he was heard to refrain that his proudest accomplishment was "getting all you guides outa those damn hip boots and into chest waders"

course we gave it right back to him "so daddy never could teach you how to park that Goose heh Lester"

hip waders were on their gear list, but Lester always told them in town, "naaaah you don't need any hip waders, we'll get you to the beach high and dry"

changeover day, was always a nice change of pace, hurried activity for awhile but then pretty easy, waving bye to the departing hunters, greeting the new bunch, getting them licensed and fed and housed in their nylon Hilton for the week. Plus mail delivery.

in the early pre sat days, always nice to get letters from home and the occasional care package

was all in good fun.....mostly

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B2

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
Sadly, he is not...

Were I king, I'd decree that any 'man' insisting on guides' assistance to terra firma to avoid getting wet be accommodated, but only by means of a special piece of gear. The guide will also inform the 'man' that he is required to be sucking his thumb while afloat.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
A blow-up sheep would probably make most of them feel better climbing aboard...

There are a lot of Texans! wink

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
No exceptions. Your king has spoken!

wink

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
just a running joke between the flight service and the guides Mark

mainly perpertrated by the son of the guy that owned the flying service.

he was heard to refrain that his proudest accomplishment was "getting all you guides outa those damn hip boots and into chest waders"

course we gave it right back to him "so daddy never could teach you how to park that Goose heh Lester"

hip waders were on their gear list, but Lester always told them in town, "naaaah you don't need any hip waders, we'll get you to the beach high and dry"

changeover day, was always a nice change of pace, hurried activity for awhile but then pretty easy, waving bye to the departing hunters, greeting the new bunch, getting them licensed and fed and housed in their nylon Hilton for the week. Plus mail delivery.

in the early pre sat days, always nice to get letters from home and the occasional care package

was all in good fun.....mostly

Yeah, I get that part Randy, it was a joke, and pretty funny in concept.

It just boggles the mind that a guy that is supposedly a sportsman is getting piggy-back rides to shore from a float plane? It aint computing in my brain. crazy
I'd be ashamed to admit I took a piggy-back ride to shore!
Take off the boots, put on the Crocs camp shoes and jump off the pontoon.

My response was mostly in response to kamo-gari's awful description.

Hope things are going well for you, your lovely wife and kids.

Last edited by m_stevenson; 04/16/14. Reason: correction of sentence structure

Mark

NRA Life Member
Anytime anyone kicks cancers azz is a good day!

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Oh The Drama!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Sadly, he is not...

Were I king, I'd decree that any 'man' insisting on guides' assistance to terra firma to avoid getting wet be accommodated, but only by means of a special piece of gear. The guide will also inform the 'man' that he is required to be sucking his thumb while afloat.

[Linked Image]

dang Leighton, wish I'd known you then! that woulda been a hoot, packs up small, no weight, easy to take one of those with! grin

opportunity lost frown

we had rafts blown up with motors on them, but the whole gig, was to keep the plane outa the air for minimum time possible.

looked like a Chinese fire drill, clambering up on the nose to unload the dry bags from it, making a chain to haul the gear to the beach and then the ole piggyback rides.

a giant rubber ducky, damn why didn't I think of that?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
mark, thanks for asking

just got back from Anchorage for Tina's 3rd post treatment checkup

all systems go

we even took a couple of days to shop, wine and dine

man what a difference a year can make

those trips last year were no fun

I am grateful to my maker and all those prayers and good thoughts folks sent her way to have her healthy, happy and by my side.

I'm one lucky SOB (though truthfully, my mom is a very nice lady, grin)

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You coulda just used the blow-up doll in the guides's tent... wink

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
mark, thanks for asking

just got back from Anchorage for Tina's 3rd post treatment checkup

all systems go

we even took a couple of days to shop, wine and dine

man what a difference a year can make

those trips last year were no fun

I am grateful to my maker and all those prayers and good thoughts folks sent her way to have her healthy, happy and by my side.

I'm one lucky SOB (though truthfully, my mom is a very nice lady, grin)

Thats some good news for sure. Did you celebrate by smoking the CC at Cabelas while you were down? grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
did hit the new Cabelas

but took it pretty easy on the CC, bought a PFD (no not a dividend, personal flotation device, grin) they had a great sale on them, $30 cheaper than I'd ever seen.

I've pretty well hit that stage where I don't need or want for much of anything, other than a few big ticket items

and looking at moving from our house in the next few years has made me want less stuff not more

but man did Cabela's (amongst others) love me back in the day!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You coulda just used the blow-up doll in the guides's tent... wink

always a worry what kind of condition the lass might come back in

that cold lake water doesn't lend itself to a night of warm companionship

and drying em by the fire is risky bidness blush

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nothing quite like the voice of experience... wink

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
smile

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nothing quite like the voice of experience... wink

well I really enjoyed the voice of innocence, but it's been a loonnng time since I got to hear THAT blush

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 73 invisible), 2,671 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.