Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Dumb question, but how skittish are they when shooting offhand and other field positions?? I'm used to "heavy" rifles..

As much as you shoot you would quickly discover they are not all that skittish, and those who I've let use mine for a day in the field usually start asking questions of what and where.

laissez les bons temps rouler
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Yeah they are just as easy to shoot accurately but then I use a sling 99.9% of the time which helps to no end.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
No doubt a sling steadies things down.

Two other things I've found is that even though they are light compared to standard rifles, a couple of hours of carrying them makes them seem heavier than when you first pick one up.

The second is the short burst of adrenalin that occurs when one is about to shoot game steadies the grip. With a practiced subconscious trigger pull I see little disadvantage to a light rifle with the exception of way out there shooting at BG.

Last edited by battue; 04/18/14.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Thanks Karnis and battue. These rifles have me so intrigued that I will probably buy one in the near future. Most of my so called "fwt's" weigh in right at 8 pounds (scoped with typical 3-9x40's).

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
While heavy should obviously be easier to shoot at the bench, a light rifles light shines brightest when used in the field. Horses for courses. Perhaps they are mudders.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I agree that it sounds like the action is binding as accuracy drops when the screws are tight.

You said you ensured the screws were not too long and the mag box isnt binding. With those things out of the way my first move would be to skim bed the action to make sure all is sitting right before anything else.

I'm betting groups improve. If still not where you want try adding some pieces of cut up credit card under the barrel at the forend. I would start with 3-4 pieces to ensure some upward pressure and shoot a group. If things tighten up a little add another piece or two and see what happens.

My 300 WSM shot better then yours averaging consistent 1 1/2" 5 shot groups out of the box. Mine had no mag box binding and the screws were fine. I started with 4 pieces of credit card under mine per Boxers recommendation and it shrank groups markedly so I damned up the forearm with modeling clay and poured an equivalent pressure pad. Mine now shoots pretty much everything under 1" and its favored 150 TTSX into 3/4" at 100 yds more often then not.

At this point the limiting factor is likely me shooting a light rifle but I'm perfectly content with it.

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Just proves my point that I'd rather buy a Savage.

Ain't nothin' like a Savage.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
Rifle has not been rebedded. Just the action screw adjustments I mentioned. The mag box did not bind from the factory. When I removed the spring and follower and reassembled the mag box would move around a bit.

I shot from sandbags but tried to grip the rifle. I could tell I was positioned better on the good groups with less input from me needed to be on target. I think with a few adjustments, possibly a skim bedding, hand loaded ammo, and some practice of bench technique, I'll have a real shooter.

While not all targets were great, I see enough promise to think I have an excellent rifle.

Three things:

1.) Buy a 12 pack

2. Do these things:

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/8486078/Montana_tinkering#Post8486078

3.) Stop going to church.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Here are all the targets I shot yesterday with my new Kimber Montana 7mm-08. All with various factory ammo since I'm still assembling my reloading equipment. I included all targets, not just the good ones.

Here's the rifle for anyone who didn't see my previous post. I mounted a Kahles AH 2-7X36 with Warne Maxima bases and Burris signature Zee medium rings.
[Linked Image]

After removing the bolt,sighting down the barrel at 25 yards, and aligning the scope (my method of boresighting) I moved the target to 50 yards and proceeded to the sight in.

[Linked Image]
The three with tape over them were just to center the scope. I made adjustment after each of those three shots. Then I shot this 4 shot group at 50 yards.

Now I moved to 100 yards. Same ammo as shot at 50 Remington green and yellow box 120 grn hp. This is actually my second target at 100 yards as I seem to be missing the scope adjustment target at 100 with the Rem 120 hp. Anyway here are two 3 shot groups after a cool down in between.
[Linked Image]
Not so great,a little disappointing.

Now I figure it may not like the Rem ammo , so I switch to Federal Fusions and do some tweeking. I retighten my mounts. I got a half turn on a couple screws. Then I loosened my action screws and tightened the front first and kept it tighter than the rear. The fusions are a bit hotter and print high but I got a nice group except for one I knew was off at the shot.

[Linked Image]

That shoots like my cousins Kimber in 7-08. hmmmmmmmm

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
If you are playing with screw tension and throwing groups all over the place, it is a red flag that your gun needs bedded.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
If you are playing with screw tension and throwing groups all over the place, it is a red flag that your gun needs bedded.

I completely agree. All I'm saying though is that I need more time to confirm that is the problem. I know that I was also having difficulty just with my shooting on some of those groups. I'll take it out again and play enough to confirm it's not just me learning how to shoot a light rifle. On those good groups I could definitely tell a difference in my ability to hold it firmly on target without the movement like a feather dancing on water.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J

I completely agree. All I'm saying though is that I need more time to confirm that is the problem. I know that I was also having difficulty just with my shooting on some of those groups. I'll take it out again and play enough to confirm it's not just me learning how to shoot a light rifle. On those good groups I could definitely tell a difference in my ability to hold it firmly on target without the movement like a feather dancing on water.

You've had 5 good shooters tell you your bedding is off because of how it shoots at different torque settings and you still refuse to listen. Hmmmmmm. Not much help for you dude, rock on and waste components. If it's that finicky about torque, it's gonna be the same way about heat, cold, humidity...and everything else we run into while hunting.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sounds "interesting". I prefer boring, consistency. Each to his own pastimes and best of luck in your endeavor.

LOL
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I'll shoot some more and if I still find shifting POI, I'll be looking into getting it bedded. One problem is that I don't know anyone close and would rather not go through shipping.

No need to ship it off. Spend some time reading bedding threads and asking advice and do it yourself. Its not black magic. If it doesn't come out good, grind out the bedding and try it again.

Last edited by LSU fan; 04/18/14.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'm thinking about starting a bedding thread (with pictures) in the Winchester forums here in a bit.. The same techniques would also apply to different action types.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I hope you do. I have a Classic 270 WSM I still need to bed.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Clark,

If you're not ready to bed yet... go farmer tight on the front screw and farmer tight or a bit less on the rear. My 7-08 Montucky doesn't matter on the rear, but the front is always tight and done first, always. Lug against stock. I don't like dorking with screw torque on any rifle and don't. Have not bedded mine but eventually will since I've run out of things to tinker with rifle-wise.

Pull the action and look for weird wear spots in the paint. Also, for fun see if the action will stay in the stock when upside down and no screws.

Bedding now wouldn't "hurt" though.

Also, give some thought to lowering the pull even more. I know, I know... buds argue with me over this all the time. They are finally understanding it though... one less variable. You can increase the pull later, after you convince yourself that your new rifle/load/technique are sorted out.

And pay close attention to your rest at the range. Bags, rest, bipod? Are the targets level with the rifle, higher, lower? Sometimes the rest, height of the target, and the way you hold the rifle can make shots fly. I bet your pull is still a bit high during this acid test, and you mentioned the image moving while you are holding on target.

Heavy rifles are easier and light rifles will show problems in technique really quick.

Karnis is right. I've been shooting the Montucky off a rest a bunch lately sans sling. Last week I was shooting off my pack at 480y. Good enough to kill a buck, but I wasn't using my sling. I've gotten lazy with the rifle rest.

Make life easy and get everything level, and natural POA. Light trigger to help keep the rifle movement low. Control the fore-end as needed, and follow through.

Another thing... don't get too wrapped up at 100y either. I've seen quite a few people do better at longer ranges. Seems to take some pressure off the shooter. At 100y, everyone wants the magical 1". At longer distances, the target "appears" steadier too. Adds nothing mechanically, but helps mentally for some.

Jason

Last edited by 4th_point; 04/18/14.
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
And definitely check out SAS' thread that Flave posted.

Jason

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
These guys have pretty well covered it. The only thing I would add is to set a realistic accuracy expectation for the rifle. It won't be a 1/2 MOA rifle. Chances are it won't consistently shoot sub MOA. But that's ok. Kimber Montanas are for killing stuff, not for posting pictures of pretty little groups on the internet.

Expectations of around 1 MOA three shot group averages with handloads would be a realistic and likely achievable goal.

Last edited by prairie_goat; 04/18/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jsthntn247

You've had 5 good shooters tell you your bedding is off because of how it shoots at different torque settings and you still refuse to listen. Hmmmmmm. Not much help for you dude, rock on and waste components. If it's that finicky about torque, it's gonna be the same way about heat, cold, humidity...and everything else we run into while hunting.

Wow! You don't even know me but you've already labeled me as hopeless. First off, I didn't ask for "you're" help. Maybe I should have since you are obviously an expert, and gracious to boot.

To everyone else, including those who have suggested bedding, I really do appreciate the comments and helpful suggestions. I do realize that is likely my next step. I just want more than 2 or three bad groups to confirm that it the bedding and not my shooting, especially when I know on a couple of those bad groups I was experiencing less than perfect bench technique.

The main reason I posted all my targets was to let everyone see the good and bad that might come with a new Kimber. It is a bit more difficult to shoot from the bench but the main thing is that I believe the good groups tell me that I have a rifle that a simple bedding and better bench technique could cure of all problems. My main concern was that I would have one that had a bad chamber or barrel. I don't think that's the case and anything else can easily be worked out. Possibly all these things should not be in a $1300 rifle but I still see them as a bargain considering the complete package , even if a little tweeking is necessary.

Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 007FJ, 12344mag, 1Akshooter, 1badf350, 160user, 60 invisible), 2,218 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,302
Posts18,449,071
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.