Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
I'm a little scared to visit TX. All I've seen is the panhandle on my way through. Stopped to see what I thought was a stripper joint, ended up being a damn sex-shop and my suburban broke down in the parking lot. That was the last time I was in TX, kinda scarred me.
I can imagine having to go inside and ask the big girl with purple hair and the fishin tackle in her face if she could jump you off.

LOL

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by isaac
"The interaction of marijuana with brain development could be a significant problem."
- Dr. Hans Breiter, co-senior study author

For their most recent study, Breiter and his team analyzed a very small sample of patients between the ages of 18 and 25: 20 marijuana users and 20 well-matched control subjects. The marijuana users had a wide range of usage routines, with some using the drug just once or twice a week and others using it every single day.

�We need to see what happens longitudinally,� Breiter said.

Sounds like an articulate, statistically viable and well executed study. Laffin'

The factory of the future will have only two employees, a man and a dog. The man will be there to feed the dog. The dog will be there to keep the man from touching the equipment. � WARREN G. BENNIS
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by rattler
not necessarily, when you met down in NM i was taking enough morphine every day to kill someone your size that doesnt have a tolerance built up and was/am on a drug that im taking specifically cause it phugs with how my brain is wired to try and slow down the pain signals.....no one seemed to have a problem that i was packing a gun around and shooting with everyone....

Honestly, that's the part that's the most bothersome for me that people are walking around "appearing" normal with doses of [bleep] in them that would kill anyone else. You remember the friend I told you about last year that was taking 17 oxycontin's per day ? He died from a stroke shortly after the doctor tried getting him off of it. Very sad as he was a great guy and a very good friend.

ild give my left nut to get off it, unfortunately i aint cutting off my legs and going to a wheel chair to do it which is the only option at the moment.....hell with ObamaCare may be the only option i ever have though.....

ive spent the equivalent of two nice African safaris talking to any expert that thinks they have an option over the last 15 years so that i can give up the pills.....and thats out of pocket and not what the insurance companies have picked up....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ill also add, 3 years ago Mayo received my file with x-rays and MRI.....answer my doc got back was basically "yep from the x-rays looks like he is in a lot of pain but nothing to be done until he is a better candidate for total replacement so dont bother sending him out, nothing we can do" after i got that response i got a appointment with the sports medicine guys out at the University of Washington in Seattle to talk to the guys that do lots of work on the knees of young athletes.....got the same answer from them as Mayo gave me....

you got a real [bleep] solution for me im all ears......

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Put me in the "I like money more than changing the way I feel" camp. I wonder how much $ a guy could spend on booze and dope in a year.

IC B2

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Calvin
Put me in the "I like money more than changing the way I feel" camp.

You'll get over that once the DOW takes a big chit.

I
isaac Offline OP
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
I
Originally Posted by Bristoe

=========

Think of the bright side...we didn't buy gold at 1382.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C

I pulled mostly out taking profits, to shuffle some things around a bit as things went up to high. I'm going stay out of it until after fishing season is over in Oct. Upgrading boats too, so I might be lean for a year or two.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by isaac

=========

Think of the bright side...we didn't buy gold at 1382.

There is no bright side when the government is running trillion dollar annual deficits funded by fiat money produced by the Fed,..

,...but we do what we can.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Palidun
Actually that was not tested. It actually said brain development was different not better or worse. The testees were not actually tested in any way for performance. I have noticed that a lot of gifted musicians perform better when just a bit stoned, many artists paint beautiful pieces when stoned to their preferred level. Pot has been positively linked with greater creativity. If a bit of short term memory loss mitigates your temper when someone has pissed you off how is that bad? I like a good straight bourbon which by all accounts has been shown to be much more damaging than marijuana.

As a pain killer the negative side effects are nothing compared to those that are opiate based or even the abuse of aspirin. Consider the deaths attributed to Tylenol and the none attributed to marijuana it makes you wonder about the fairness and motive of the study.

Well said on the validity of the study and use of marijuana as a pain killer vs. narcotics. I used to think there was no good use for marijuana and that it only had to do with "stoners". I started listening to another point of view when I experienced "break through" pain to the point of being in tears and knowing there was no easy way out. Fortunately, I can still manage it at this point and I'm not forced to make that decision like some have had to do. It would be interesting to know how many people even have a frame of reference [either themselves or someone you they are very close to]for high levels of chronic pain. It sure changed my attitude.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by CCCC
Originally Posted by EdM
Pretty comical using weed, cocaine and meth in the same sentence. Unless one has personal experience, their words are, well, useless.

Must admit I have never used any of those and so apparently you see my words there as "useless". Why would that be?

Having close experience with users of all those - and other drugs - and having witnessed manifold the resulting havoc/cost/degredation/heartbreak loss/etc., it is difficult to find anything comical about using those terms in the same sentence. Maybe your sense of humor is much more sophisticated than mine and you might explain where "comical" enters the exchange.

Waiting !!

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
One one hand I think medical pot is a scam for stoners to get high. On the other I had a aunt that just died from pills. She started taking pills due to chronic pain from a major car wreck. Dope might have been a better option, if it really works for pain.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Exactly.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Exactly.

I just sent a text to my pharm D sister who works kidney and liver transplants at Cornell. She said for chronic pain pot is next to useless. She also said its somewhat useful for cancer patients as it pertains to increasing appetite and decreasing nausea.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BWalker
Originally Posted by SamOlson
Exactly.

I just sent a text to my pharm D sister who works kidney and liver transplants at Cornell. She said for chronic pain pot is next to useless. She also said its somewhat useful for cancer patients as it pertains to increasing appetite and decreasing nausea.

its not useless for chronic pain....actually kinda interested where she gets that cause i can tell you that it does work, and for different types of chronic pain.....hell thats one of the major reasons i started using it cause it helped with the pain when i had to spend a 8 hour shift on my feet back before my wife insisted i give it up and go to the doc for legal pain killers.......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
how drugs effect individuals is as damn near varied as individuals

lots of folks drink, some get hooked on it, some don't, some drunks are mean, some happy, sometimes it magnifies their normal personality, in others it's the Dr. Jekyl/Mr. Hyde example

from my experience with pot (plenty) it's the same

haven't smoked any in years, but smoked mine and a few others share with my best bud growin up, he had his own biz by 19 and has done extremely well

like me I think he put the pot aside when he started having kids.

know a local attorney, sharp guy, mad skills, carpentry, automotive, a real DFY kinda guy.

still likes to toke up regularly (or last I knew he did)

but he can be an azz, am glad he smokes dope, can't imagine how he'd be without it (brrr)

and for everyone of those examples of guys that get high and still produce and create, I can give you examples of guys I knew that are still working summers, collectin UE in the winter and don't have much to show for it but an old cabin and truck.

everybody's different

but for god's sake Bob at least maybe now you can understand how guys like me and Bristoe ended up being such RP supporters! (grin)

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
im gonna dumb this down a bit cause other wise there is gonna be a chit load of latin that prolly a handful of members here(the docs) are gonna understand....

pot should work on pain, there is no reason i can figure out why it wouldnt.....why do i think this beyond my own experiance? every person here if subjected to a sensitive enough test would pop positive for pot....the reason? your body makes variations on the chemicals found on pot, as of this time i believe 7 have been discovered.....one of them based on the current study shows strong corilation to how the brain deals with pain signals....

so if our body is making its own cannabis chemicals to help it deal with pain how would adding more of these chemicals to a persons system by using marijuana not be able to help with pain? our body is already wired from birth to use these chemicals to help with pain....now they prolly do not work on the site of the injury like NSAIDs like Advil do, they likely act deeper with in the nervous system but scientifically speaking there is no reason why they should not work for pain....

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I know a Vietnam vet thay uses. A nurse asked him once about how the pot worked for pain. He told her that if he looked at or concentrated on his knee, there was still pain. Then looked up and said, "Oh look, a butterfly"!

Point being, it allows him the distraction of thinking about it and can get on with his day. BTW, he has had three knee replacements, both elbows, and countless other problems associated with AO and degenerative bone/cancer issues.

Sean
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by calikooknic
I know a Vietnam vet thay uses. A nurse asked him once about how the pot worked for pain. He told her that if he looked at or concentrated on his knee, there was still pain. Then looked up and said, "Oh look, a butterfly"!

Point being, it allows him the distraction of thinking about it and can get on with his day. BTW, he has had three knee replacements, both elbows, and countless other problems associated with AO and degenerative bone/cancer issues.

if yah want to be technical about it, thats how it was explained to me years ago as to how opiates work....opiates do not get rid of any pain they just make the brain not care that it is getting pain signals.....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
in all actuality i kinda wish it didnt work......because it does work it puts me me in a situation that is complicated and a PITA....leaving for Texas on Friday and will be gone for 10 days.....not bringing any of my cannabis drops with me cause i dont dare travel with them, especially not when im traveling in someone elses vehicle....i aint selfish enough that i am willing to risk causing a headache for someone else even if the chance it even becomes an issue is remote....

so yeah ive got something that works great for pain, in some ways alot better than the opiates(atleast has fewer bad side effects if nothing else) the doc gives me but i can only use them while im at home or if im willing to take the risk when i happen to be traveling by myself....

Page 5 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

178 members (257robertsimp, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 358WCF, 1_deuce, 280shooter, 24 invisible), 1,810 guests, and 1,125 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,176
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.