Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith
Originally Posted by Darktimber
I have tried several bino bras but found them too difficult when shedding/adding layers, especially while wearing a backpack. On the other hand I never liked that my binoculars flopped, sometimes onto my rifle scope. Or, if you have to crawl during a stalk, your binos are dragging the ground. After seeing Jaycee's comments above, I watched the video from Rick Young Outdoors about their Ultra-Light Bino Harness. That harness looks like the perfect solution for me. I had to order one, especially for the price $20. The video is here:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=kceBIK9_vjQ

Yup, just got a couple of these a month of two ago, and I've been very happy so far! Great buy, and head and shoulders better than the bra-style harnesses!

Very interesting. I like that direction rather than a bulky chest purse.

Seems like they'd dig into you though?

BP-B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
Ipi bino manager was awesome but I do not believe sold anywhere any longer. The badlands is also quite nice and is what I have converted to.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by 4th_point
I have tried several bino bras but found them too difficult when shedding/adding layers, especially while wearing a backpack. On the other hand I never liked that my binoculars flopped, sometimes onto my rifle scope. Or, if you have to crawl during a stalk, your binos are dragging the ground. After seeing Jaycee's comments above, I watched the video from Rick Young Outdoors about their Ultra-Light Bino Harness. That harness looks like the perfect solution for me. I had to order one, especially for the price $20. The video is here:

Yup, just got a couple of these a month of two ago, and I've been very happy so far! Great buy, and head and shoulders better than the bra-style harnesses!

Before ordering mine, I wondered the same thing, but have found that they don't dig in at all. I don't even know they're there, even when wearing just a t-shirt. In fact, I've found the Rick Young harness WAY more comfortable than the wider-strapped bino harnesses that I used before.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very cool. Thanks jaycee.

Jason

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Thank you jaycee that was the info I was looking for, I shall order a set for myself.

Regards.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SKane

Thanks for the heads up. The video on his site shows the twisting of a conventional harness and the rats nest of pulling the dang things from a pack - both of which frustrate me - as does the layering/on/off thing. Soooo, one is on the way. smile
Thanks again.

Yeah, pretty much all of the things they mentioned in that video have frustrated me before, using the traditional harnesses smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 4th_point

Agree with jaycee on the comfort of the RY Outdoors harness. Because it's stretchy bungee cord, I find it doesn't dig in at all. And I LOVE that it stays as tight as I initially set it, without loosening over time and bouncy hiking.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I got the Ultra-Light Bino Harness in the mail, and pretty quickly too. Typically I attach a bino bra, try it out a few minutes, and then put the strap back on. This time was different. This thing is a game changer for me. It did all of the things they show in the video. It is easy to put on and take off and very comfortable. I am concerned the thin straps might be noticeable after a while but others have not had that problem. It is neat to see innovation like this. Thanks Jaycee, and others, for the suggestion.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
The Ultra light one looks cheap to me. I have not seen it in person but that is just the impression I get from it. Guys that have used it, does it bounce around when you hike because of all the elastic / spandex? I've had my eye on the Kuiu bino harness. A buddy I went hunting with had it. Can open / close with one hand, no elastic so it does't bounce around and protects binos well. I think it will be my next purchase.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
I just bought an Ultra Light. The shock cord isn't nearly as bouncy as the elastic straps on the Crooked Horn. They'll stretch to let you use them, but I doubt they'll bounce as much. It's much easier to put on than the Crooked Horn, too, and MUCH easier to keep in adjustment. Most of the time I'll be using it, I'll be wearing a heavy shirt or coat so the cord shouldn't be a problem for me.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Sam, let me know how it works horseback. I just ordered the rick young and will report. When you trot, none of the harnesses i've tried are worth warm spit.

Fred

Fourth Generation Border Rat
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Fred, I know exactly what you are talking about!

Of course walking around "trail" riding is no big deal but moving cows is a different story. They really can get bouncing when you move out. Hit the horn, hit your face...

Summer time I hold on with my free hand(when possible), cold enough for a jacket or coat I tuck them inside.

Curious to hear what you think of the RY.

Waiting for backorder on the KUIU setup.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/02/14.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beretzs
Great info. I run a Crooked Horn and Cabela's harness system, but I lack element protection with both sets. Looking to find a harness system that protects the glasses from the elements a little better.
Do you sew at all? It's easy to make a bino bag out of waterproof fabric. You can have something that fits around the binocs as they hang on the harness or you can make one with side rings to attach directly to the harness, putting the binocs loose inside. You don't need to pad it. If you carry the binocs exposed, they're not padded either so there's no difference in protection.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Dagger
The Ultra light one looks cheap to me. I have not seen it in person but that is just the impression I get from it. Guys that have used it, does it bounce around when you hike because of all the elastic / spandex? I've had my eye on the Kuiu bino harness. A buddy I went hunting with had it. Can open / close with one hand, no elastic so it does't bounce around and protects binos well. I think it will be my next purchase.

Cheap? At $20 I guess it qualifies as "cheap" as far as price goes, but it's well made. I think a better word for it than "cheap" is "simple", which it is - simply amazing. The elastic is the reason it DOESN'T bounce around. In my experience, in order to get a nylon harness tight enough not to flop around, it starts to get VERY restrictive and makes for hot spots. Nylon, or any other type of non-stretchy straps suck.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by azrancher
Sam, let me know how it works horseback. I just ordered the rick young and will report. When you trot, none of the harnesses i've tried are worth warm spit.

Fred

Fred, I think you would be pleased with the Rick Young harness, especially if you loop the lower straps over the objective lenses/barrels like it shows in the RY video. They are VERY stable as such.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I've use a crooked horn and didn't like it much because of the bounciness of the elastic.

I have an FHF harness and like it but think it could be improved greatly with a some modifications.

I picked up the RY harness due to all the recommendations on this thread. It's better than a crooked horn, but if you're running or jogging it still bounces.

The perfect harness IMO would do several things well:

1. Stay put during jogging, running, horseback, etc.
2. Protect the binos while still offering fast access.
3. Work well and comfortably with backpack straps.
4. Easy on / off.
5. Lightweight

Still looking. I may have to experiment with my own version.

R
R
8Snake, I recently bought one of the Sitka Bino cases and have used it in the field a handful of times. I am really happy with it, but it needed some modifications. My 10x42 Razor HD's were tough to get into the case before I cut out that stretchy barrier that was in there. They now fit perfectly and I don't have any issues with them. The straps are easy to use and comfortable under backpack straps. My only complaint about it is the zipper. It is grabby and difficult to slide. When hunting, the magnetic closure is enough to keep the top closed and I only zip it shut when hiking in and out of the field in the dark.

I hope that helps.

Last edited by rider14x; 05/07/14.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
FWIW, KUIU bino harness is in stock.

I ordered one the other day.

Looking forward to trying it out.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'm using the badlands bino harness. I wanted full protection for my glasses plus easy access. I like the quick release clips on the bottom side for getting them on/off without somebody else helping.

They work pretty good horseback. I hated the elastic versions they were always bouncing off the horn.

Last edited by Ralphie; 05/10/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FHF for the win.

No elastic bounce, one hand open/close, lightweight, good protection.

Paul will make you exactly what you want, like the perfect fit pouch for my Swaro LG, if the standard gear leaves you wanting.

I run a bino harness with a rangefinder pouch on one side, and a Garmin Oregon GPS pouch on the other. I can drop my pack and still have the important stuff secure.

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
777 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 88 invisible), 3,080 guests, and 1,266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,706
Posts18,400,100
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.