-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Prarie Goat nailed it. This aint no 29lb BR set up, it is a hunting rifle.
RH, your Montana shows good potential. Bedding isn't rockety science. Get a kit from Midway and watch a couple of youtube vids and you should be able to do it with no problems.
Good shooting!

I am continually astounded at how quickly people make up their minds on little evidence or none at all.
Jack O'Connor
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Amen, Goat nailed it.

I'm not a benchrest shooter and don't really care what a rifle does at 100y, as long as its in the ball-park (1-1.5"). I'm more interested in how they shoot at my max hunting range. That is the real test.

Here's a 100y target from the 7-08 Montucky using a 6x42, 120gr TTSX @ 3000fps. The target was shot with a hot barrel... after 5 rounds of 120gr NBT. Not a pretty group, but I know it works. I use 2" high for my drop data and it rings 8" steel at 500y with the LRD or M1. If there's no wind, and you don't hit... its the shooter. And I'm not that good of a shooter. A good one could probably get all 5 in one hole at 100y.

[Linked Image]

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 4th_point
Amen, Goat nailed it.

I'm not a benchrest shooter and don't really care what a rifle does at 100y, as long as its in the ball-park (1-1.5"). I'm more interested in how they shoot at my max hunting range. That is the real test.

Here's a 100y target from the 7-08 Montucky using a 6x42, 120gr TTSX @ 3000fps. The target was shot with a hot barrel... after 5 rounds of 120gr NBT. Not a pretty group, but I know it works. I use 2" high for my drop data and it rings 8" steel at 500y with the LRD or M1. If there's no wind, and you don't hit... its the shooter. And I'm not that good of a shooter. A good one could probably get all 5 in one hole at 100y.

[Linked Image]

Jason, I've seen some of your other target pics and I have to call bs on you're not a good shooter statement. One of these days, you and I are going to have to get together and shoot the bull and tear up some targets wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It's gonna be a good one RH. Little due diligence and ...

BADABING!!!!!!

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Just proves my point that I'd rather buy a Savage.

Ain't nothin' like a Savage.

Travis

You should know. Douchenozzle. Now GFY.

whistle

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
BSA,

You're just the type of dude I was thinking of when I wrote, "And I'm not that good of a shooter. A good one could probably get all 5 in one hole at 100y." You could wring the accuracy outta that Kimber for me!

I'm working on some targets and stands for some close, medium, and longrange shooting. I'll keep you posted. Also plan to grab some 162gr AMAX bullets for the 7-08 when they come back online, just for fun.

Jason

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by Karnis
Originally Posted by deflave
Originally Posted by jsthntn247
Just proves my point that I'd rather buy a Savage.

Ain't nothin' like a Savage.

Travis

You should know. Douchenozzle. Now GFY.

whistle

I'm so confused... Is Travis the douchenozzle, or is he supposed to GFY with the douchnozzle?

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Same here.

To be perfectly honest, if all my hunting took place at woods ranges, I would declare the groups in the OP good enough. Buy some of the better shooting ammo. Or whichever was cheapest. Go hunting. Kill deer. Dine on their flesh. Be happy.

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

Same here.

To be perfectly honest, if all my hunting took place at woods ranges, I would declare the groups in the OP good enough. Buy some of the better shooting ammo. Or whichever was cheapest. Go hunting. Kill deer. Dine on their flesh. Be happy.

I do like good groups. In my youth I was a fairly good target shooter so groups are important to me. In all honesty though, all the deer I've killed over the last 30 years with the exception of one, have been 100 yards or less with more than 50% of those under 50 yards. I hunt hardwoods or small plots in the hardwoods 99% of the time. No large fields on a lease for me. It's either my own property or the local 93K acre National Forrest.

Just for giggles I just now filled an empty 2.9 liter fabric softener bottle with water and put it on the power line cut running across my property. There's a flat right behind my house and I have an access road running across it to another section of my property. It's about 150- 200 yards from the flat behind my house to the flat where the road crosses. Anyway I loaded a round of the ammo that shot this last group.
[Linked Image]
Went out behind the house and took a couple old cuts of pine from the last time the power line was trimmed, threw the cut piece across a log for a rest, lay down on the ground and busted that jug from about 150 yards first shot from the cold barrel. Only shot once. No great feat I know but it helps build confidence for hunting accuracy.

Last edited by R_H_Clark; 04/18/14.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I never understood people justifying poor performance from a rifle by stating it isn't a bench gun, it is a hunting rifle.

A Kimber isn't cheap. If you want a gun that only shoots ok, then get a Remington 710 and save your money.

IC B3

R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
I never understood people justifying poor performance from a rifle by stating it isn't a bench gun, it is a hunting rifle.

A Kimber isn't cheap. If you want a gun that only shoots ok, then get a Remington 710 and save your money.

Or you could just buy a Savage. I don't think the Montana I own is a poor performer. Yes, I shot a couple crappy groups with it, big deal, I've shot some crappy groups with even more expensive rifles. It might possibly need bedding, big deal. If the 710 or Savage offered the same features I would own one, but alas they don't. They don't even come close. Are they good hunting guns, yes, and if you like them then that's great. You got a good rifle for a good price. Personally, I own several very nice rifles. I owned a Savage but I gave it away. It didn't give me the warm fuzzies. Still I am very pleased with my Montana and will be buying another when I can.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

Who was justifying poor performance?

If all you want to do is shoot paper, then build a paper shooting gun. I could give a flying rat's ass what a hunting rifle will do on paper, within reason. If I knew this rifle retained zero, right now I would carry it hunting any game for which it's suited, and not bat an eye.

A hunting rifle needs a certain set of parameters to perform well, intrinsic accuracy is about 4th or 5th on the list.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark

Or you could just buy a Savage.

[Linked Image]

I would rather shoot a cobbled together Mosin.

Last edited by Paulh; 04/18/14.
R
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by Paulh

Or you could just buy a Savage.

[Linked Image]

I would rather shoot a cobbled together Mosin.

Now that's funny! When I took my Montana to our local range there was one old guy there with his wife shooting a Mosin. He asked what rifle I had in the case. I said a mountain rifle. he wanted to see it and I was being nice and handed it to him to look over. He had never even heard of a Kimber but started proclaiming the benefits of the 7mm-08. Then he told me that if I liked the 7-08, I should buy a Savage or if I wanted something really accurate get a Mossin like his. Luckily he was leaving and I didn't encourage him at all.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

There's more to it than just how it shoots. If I'm gonna spend a few days sitting on a log waiting for a deer to walk by, I'd rather spend it looking at a Montana than a 710 or a Savage or a RAR, no matter how good they shoot.

Actually, I'd rather be looking at a nice piece of crotch Black Walnut or Claro (unless it's raining).

What fresh Hell is this?
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Pappy348
Actually, I'd rather be looking at a nice piece of crotch Black Walnut or Claro (unless it's raining).

I'm with you. Life is too short to hunt with an ugly rifle smile

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Your on the way, give it a little time, to figure it out and try some Barnes bullets
They usually shoot good in Montana's .
Happy easyer

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Or you could just buy a Savage. I don't think the Montana I own is a poor performer. Yes, I shot a couple crappy groups with it, big deal, I've shot some crappy groups with even more expensive rifles. It might possibly need bedding, big deal. If the 710 or Savage offered the same features I would own one, but alas they don't. They don't even come close. Are they good hunting guns, yes, and if you like them then that's great. You got a good rifle for a good price. Personally, I own several very nice rifles. I owned a Savage but I gave it away. It didn't give me the warm fuzzies. Still I am very pleased with my Montana and will be buying another when I can.

Why do you guys keep bringing up Savage? I thought the thread was called the good and bad, not "the good the bad and the ugly"..Just sayin whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
RH, this is a typical Kimber thread, no worries. By page two the anti's have arrived to lend their "support". You've got good advice already. A skim bedding job and a few minor things to check and tweak if needed and you will be good to go. There is plenty of Kimber knowledge here to help when needed.
Keep us posted.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
You guys do know it is possible to have a nice lightweight rifle that also shoots, right?

Why do you assume there has to be a trade off?

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (1234, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 007FJ, 70 invisible), 2,667 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,667
Posts18,455,907
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.