Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I just did one 1st go around did not use enough bedding so cut it all out tried again and it came out pretty good for my 2nd try. Learned a lot from that one. Now onto my unbedded lefty model 70 in a 270 that shoots real well 2.25 inch groups at 300yds. I'm hoping this tightens it up even more.

Last edited by 79S; 04/21/14.

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
thanks for sharing your expertise bsa. one question I didn't see you address but perhaps I missed you mentioning it. do you have a tough time removing the barreled action after bedding in that you don't tape the sides and front of the recoil lug for some clearance? thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by ruffedgrouse
thanks for sharing your expertise bsa. one question I didn't see you address but perhaps I missed you mentioning it. do you have a tough time removing the barreled action after bedding in that you don't tape the sides and front of the recoil lug for some clearance? thanks

This is why use the method other smiths use by placing the rifle in your lap, pulling up on the stock with your weak hand and giving it a few good whacks on the towel covered barrel with a dead blow type hammer. This method works great. If you use enough of the right release agent, they pop out after about 5-10 good whacks. Keep in mind I don't smack the heck out of it, they are just very controlled whacks.. Thanks for the question.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by lynntelk
Great Job BSA. Basically the only thing I do differently when bedding is to use rubber tubing vs. the electrical tape. I can control the "force" by how tight I wrap the rubber tubing. It comes off cleaner also.

Thanks, I appreciate all of your comments. Tubing would also work great. I know guys that use it and it works good for them. The electrical tape doesn't leave a smudge because of the Johnson's paste wax on the stock anyway. The paste wax does a few different things in this bedding process: Protects the wood from stray bedding compound (won't stick to the wood with the paste wax on it), keeps the electrical tape from really sticking to it, it also helps to waterproof the stock (which is a good thing), speeds up bedding time because you don't have to tape the stock off. Check out the finished/cleaned up parts I showed pics of and that is the best proof I can offer. Kind of a win win deal by using the Johnson's. It was a trick my gunsmith told me about and it works great.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
I just did one 1st go around did not use enough bedding so cut it all out tried again and it came out pretty good for my 2nd try. Learned a lot from that one. Now onto my unbedded lefty model 70 in a 270 that shoots real well 2.25 inch groups at 300yds. I'm hoping this tightens it up even more.

I don't know if I'd mess with a rifle that already shoots 2.25 inch groups at 300 yards. Sounds like it's good to go already..

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by 79S

I don't know if I'd mess with a rifle that already shoots 2.25 inch groups at 300 yards. Sounds like it's good to go already..

Well it's your fault posting this thread "hey guys look how easy it is anyone can do it" thanks bud

Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

Well it's your fault posting this thread "hey guys look how easy it is anyone can do it" thanks bud

That wasn't my intent. I have faith that you will do a good job on yours. However, somehow I don't know how you got blue car wax confused with Johnson's paste wax though. Did the blue come off your hands yet?? laugh whistle

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

This is why use the method other smiths use by placing the rifle in your lap, pulling up on the stock with your weak hand and giving it a few good whacks on the towel covered barrel with a dead blow type hammer. This method works great. If you use enough of the right release agent, they pop out after about 5-10 good whacks. Keep in mind I don't smack the heck out of it, they are just very controlled whacks.. Thanks for the question.

Uh this info would of been nice to know 5 hours ago... I used a 10lb sledge

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Peterbilt
bt

PM sent...

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 79S
Originally Posted by 79S

That wasn't my intent. I have faith that you will do a good job on yours. However, somehow I don't know how you got blue car wax confused with Johnson's paste wax though. Did the blue come off your hands yet?? laugh whistle

Yep... I got the Johnson wax today

IC B3

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
79S you sound like a farmer.

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by 79S

Uh this info would of been nice to know 5 hours ago... I used a 10lb sledge

Hey, some guys beat the barrel over the back of the couch.... laugh... You've seen my couch though. I can't use that or my wife would shove the barrel somewhere the sun doesn't shine. sick

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by elkhunternm
79S you sound like a farmer.

laugh

BSA MAGA
79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I wish i was a farmer wander into town everyday have coffee at the local diner then do whatever farmers do... But for now im in the Army

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
THANK YOU! For your service to our country 79S. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
How do you keep the barrel centered in the channel while bedding, when necessary?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
How do you keep the barrel centered in the channel while bedding, when necessary?

Sometimes this is necessary. I usually put a couple wraps around the barrel with electrical tape. This keeps it centered pretty good... I've also put tape on the barrel with plenty of release agent and glassed the barrel channel to keep it centered and allow for the right amount of freefloat:

[Linked Image]

BSA MAGA
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Also, why not leave the dummy action bolt in the front hole, and tap on that with the hammer to release the action from the stock? I always thought that was less stressful than hitting the barrel. Am I missing something?

B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I wouldn't do that personally. If you miss and smack the stock you'll feel like a dumb azz... Trust me, the way I outlined is the easiest way and it hurts absolutely nothing..

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by DakotaDeer
Also, why not leave the dummy action bolt in the front hole, and tap on that with the hammer to release the action from the stock? I always thought that was less stressful than hitting the barrel. Am I missing something?

Did you ever get that barreled action out of the stock you bought from swampy??

BSA MAGA
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

469 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 36 invisible), 1,943 guests, and 1,100 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.