-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Loaded question I know but could use some thoughts from guys who know a lot about these as I have always used bolt actions. I have my dads pre 64 Winchester but don't want to hunt her as it has a lot of memories for me and don't want to bang her up. I don't like the newer 64's and was looking at the marlins in a 30-30. I reload and will use the new hornadys(if that's what you guys like best which seems to be the case). My major auction is would I try and get and older 336 or newer one? In handling 94's I think there is a big difference between older and newer models(may be my sentiment.

Last edited by 700shooter; 04/18/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You will find a much larger difference in the handling of a 94 v. 336 than you ever will between and old or new 94. I've got plenty of Marlins, and I like using them, but only considering the handling I strongly prefer my 94s.

Brushbuster: "Is this thread about the dear heard or there Jeans?"
Plugger: "If you cant be safe at strip club in Detroit at 2am is anywhere safe?"
Deer are somewhere all the time
To report a post you disagree with, please push Alt + F4. Thank You.
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Get the one with a JM proof mark on the barrel near the receiver. this will be a used model. IMO, the straight grip (Texans) handle very much like 94s, maybe a bit heavier. Much easier to scope if wanted. jack

"Do not blame Caesar, blame the people...who have...rejoiced in their loss of freedom....Blame the people who hail him when he speaks of the 'new, wonderful, good, society'...to mean ,..living fatly at the expense of the industrious." Cicero
A
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
A
+1 on both above! Nothing handles like a 94 though the straight stock 336 models will likely be closest out of the box. I'd wanted one for years - a friend found me one and it's not going anywhere, nor are my other 336's. I consider a 94 or 336 to be a necessity in everyone's toolbox and add to the pile when I can. Along with each new grandchild comes the need for another 336.
Attempting to come up with a Marlin that handled like a 94, I reworked one 15yrs back or so for my youngest son by slimming the forearm and buttstock, adding a Decelerator pad with 13" LOP. He found it much more manageable in the field and it's still a favorite of his and his wife.

I don't think you can go wrong with either, just personally prefer the Marlin.

Keep your plowshare and your sword, know when and how to use them.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Myself, I'd get an "older" Marlin to avoid the safety. Actually I'd more likely hunt the '94 and make more memories with her. Don't know about you, but I don't "bang up" my rifles when I hunt with them, especially when they mean something to me. I have my fathers Winchester 64 and the deer I've taken with it mean more than all the deer I've taken with my other rifles combined. Try it, you'll understand what I mean.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

IC B2

R
RGK Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
The 80's and 90's Marlins are fine; an easily installed cross-bolt safety plug is the answer. And you can put it back in if you ever sell it. This is a CT-made .308MX, with a CBS plug. But "tmitch" is right, too; nice older guns are out there, at good prices.
Bob

[Linked Image]

Last edited by RGK; 04/24/14.
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Guys. Thx for all the help/advice!!! I have 2 young boys getting into hunting and remember how rough I was on my guns in my younger and dumber days. I will let them use the 94 after I have taught them to respect and care for their guns(lessons taught and learned the hard way).

pal Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Winchester '94's weigh considerably less than the 336 Marlins, so felt recoil is much greater.

My 1971 336.

[Linked Image]

"There's more to optics than meets the eye."--anon

"...most of us would be better off losing half a pound around the waist than half a pound on our rifle."--dhg

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
700, I would agree not letting the young-uns have at your dads '94 just yet. It takes a few years to develop an appreciation for the old classics.

Charter Member
Ancient order of the 1895 Winchester

"It's an insecure and petite man who demands all others like what he likes and dislike what he dislikes."
szihn

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
To my eye the rifles made in the 1970's look and feel best. The wood on the fore end is trimmer and the guns lighter. If you take your time and look around there are some of the straight stocked Marlins out there. The best of all features in one rifle. Still a bit heavier than the 94, but only a couple of oz.

Couple of Winchesters in there, and one 2005 made Marlin. The rest are 1958-1975 made Marlins.

[Linked Image]

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
IC B3

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
Love my early '70's 336.Now that my eyes are old (not me of course) the ability to mount a scope is valuable. Chances are, younger hunters will gravitate toward optics of some kind. I think the earlier 336 is smoother than current and has nicer wood. As opposed to a 94, there is the matter of caliber. In my Northeast woods group we gravitated to .35s based on experience so that made a difference, so 336s by default.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
All good advice. Get a JM stamped barrel. The Marlins are great rifles but the Win. 94s handle better than any rifle I own including my Marlin levers.

Regarding the cross bolt safety on the newer models - most if not all of the Marlin aficionados despise the safety. Me, I'm an old fart like most of those guys but I like the safety. You have to cycle each round to unload the rifle. I much prefer doing that with a safety engaged. Also, with your young sons using the rifle, the safety is a plus.

Do not get a "Remlin".

And....if it were me, I'd get one chambered in 35Rem. (that ought to stir things up. LOL)

Last edited by TexasShooter; 07/17/14.

NRA Endowment Member
Firearms Accumulator
Proud Trumpster!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
yeah its late in this post but I just recently picked up a Marlin Guide gun and it handles so close to my 94's that it is fast becoming my "grab it" gun on the way out of the house.
I have a 336 and am thinking of doing a makeover on it to match the 1895GG

the consolidation of the states into one vast republic, sure to be aggressive abroad and despotic at home, will be the certain precursor of that ruin which has overwhelmed all those that have preceded. Robert E Lee
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by JMR40
To my eye the rifles made in the 1970's look and feel best. The wood on the fore end is trimmer and the guns lighter. If you take your time and look around there are some of the straight stocked Marlins out there. The best of all features in one rifle. Still a bit heavier than the 94, but only a couple of oz.

Couple of Winchesters in there, and one 2005 made Marlin. The rest are 1958-1975 made Marlins.

[Linked Image]

WOW! Nice collection!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

103 members (338reddog, 260Remguy, 44automag, 4xbear, 673, 444Matt, 15 invisible), 1,690 guests, and 942 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,188
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.