Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flyer01
Ruger 1A in 222 Remington was one of Ruger's releases for 2013.

The one I have has fairly plain blonde coloured wood, it is however checkered with the same pattern as they used on the Boddington series. Suggests that at least some were made up using leftover stocks.

Flyer

I'm seeing tons of these "blond" stocks which look to me to be Circassian with little to no of the dark steaking that we like to see. I have seen Boddington checkering and normal checkering. Again, it looks like Ruger is using up wood that they didn't use during the Boddington days. Take it for what you want, but it seems to me to be cleaning up.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
BP-B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I also pick up a new #1AH in 25.06 rather blonde but conventional checkering and passed on 270 WBY and 300 WBY with plain wood .

Would like a 1A in .280, may have to settle for plain wood.

Flyer

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I'd cast a vote for the 284 Win.

I missed out on the original run of 12 back in the 60's........ whistle

Guess i'll just have to rebarrel another One.

The No. 1 turns 50 in two years......year and half.

Last edited by chapped_lips; 04/25/14.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The first guy who told me he "knew" the Ruger No. 1 was definitely discontinued was a semi-famous gunsmith, and he told me that in 1986.

It probably will happen someday, just like the Savage 99 eventually ending. Part of the problem is that eventually rifles like the 99 and No. 1 start competing with themselves: There are enough already on the market to fill the demand.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I would be a sad day, indeed, if Ruger Corp. decides to stop making the #1... and Bill Ruger would be turning over in agony in his grave if that would happen since the #1 was his "baby".

However, "Rule #1" in Corporate America is whether or not a product is "profitable" and sells well... and to he!! with nostalgia or tradition or the "uniqueness" of the product.

Corporate America's "focus" has always been and will always be "the-bottom-line"... and "p-r-o-f-i-t" is not a dirty, 6-letter word, it's the reason all of us do what we do whether you call it "profit", "salary" or "hourly wage".

Regardless... we know what the Ruger #1 is all about and why we care so very much about it's future. So get 'em while you can, gentlemen, and be happy Ruger is still makin' 'em... 'cause, sadly, nothing-"IS"-forever!

Strength & Honor...

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

IC B2

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Ruger's marketing of the product over 50 years also contributes to the demise in demand.

The big variations in its sales offerings have been dino-killer and goofy calibers and SS models. Advertising has dwindled to a near zero impact. No major targetted upgrades in the basic model over 50 years even as the customer base through the inet -- not the printed word -- becomes wiser to unfixed issues.

Demand is a two way street. It rises from below if encouraged from the source.

1B

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
1B: Okay - Lets say I take all of your post for gospel - EXCEPT, the "SS" models you claim are "dino-killers" and the "unfixed issues".
I have watched the SS #1-V models leave stores shelves "quickly" in recent years.
In fact I have bought three of them myself and consider them to be accurate and handsome Rifles.
Indeed they are "different" but I do not think they had anything to do with the "demise in demand".
The #1-V SS's are especially popular in the circles I run in.
By coincidence I was in a store today and picked up two "pricey" current gun magazines (rags!) neither of which I was willing to part with $5.00+ for.
There, featured on BOTH magazines covers, were pictures of Ruger #1's - and inside said magazines were articles on Ruger #1's.
The last short paragraph of one of the magazine articles stated the Ruger #1 was Bill Rugers "favorite Ruger Rifle".
I did not know that.
IF... there are "unfixed issues" with the MANY Ruger #1's I have owned in the past and those many that I still own, then I have NEVER personally been troubled by said issues!
Long live the Ruger #1
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
VarmintGuy,

IF the SS models were such a success, why does Ruger no longer make any? Most of the recent ones were non-catalogue items made for distributors on a prepaid basis.

The gun rag attention to NO 1s that you cite were not in paid adverts by Ruger that reflect a strong corporate commitment to the line. When is the last time you saw an actual paid ad by Ruger for the No 1s?

Unfixed issues I would cite include -- but are not restricted to

- wafer "recoil pads" on hard kicking models

- triggers that often are set too heavy and are non adjustable w/o special expertise. The effort to do so, even if successful, by the way voids your warranty.

- barrel bedding that is often off center and subject to shifts with humidity changes, w/o further tweaking.

All these issues are fixed on the Ruger American at @ 1/3 the the MSRP of NIB No 1s.

I also say long live the No 1! They are flexible, rugged, and highly useful platforms for making superb hunting tools with un matched balance in the hands and aesthetics. The NIBs however are still an expensive crap shoot.

Regards,
1B

Last edited by 1B; 04/26/14.
V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
1B: I appreciate your observations even though I do not agree with all of them.
Are YOU saying that retail gunstores shelves are full of UNSOLD Ruger #1's with laminated stocks?
NO... I contend those shelves are NOT full of said Rifles - I shop throughout the west and many of the shops I frequent I do so on a routine basis.
The Ruger #1's with laminated stocks simply SELL!
I am not saying they sell instantly but they DO sell!
I could not even GUESS why Ruger quit making the models with laminated stocks.
Can YOU explain why they quit making their most popular model of #1 the #1-B?
I have not been victimized by a swelling or shifting forend to date on any of the many #1's I have owned and do own.
I have been victimized on several occassions in the past with barrel bedding troubles on brands of Rifles made by Weatherby, Sako, Winchester, Kimber, Remington and Browning though.
I did buy and then somewhat quickly re-sell a Ruger #1-B in 7mm Remington Magnum that "kicked" viciously with my favored 160 grain Nosler Partition handloads - that #1-B needed a more effective recoil pad and I refused to consider a muzzlebrake so down the road it went.
The heaviest recoiling Ruger #1 I own these days is in caliber 6mm Remington.
So that observation of yours I think I agree with.
By the way I read your other post regarding the "non-cancellation" of Ruger #1's - I hope you are correct there as well.
But I reiterate that I have now heard from two different gunshop proprietors that they have been told by distributors that Ruger is using up old in stock parts for #1 "clean-up" sales, and the conjecture from there is that Ruger #1's are in danger of going out of production.
I hope those gunshop dudes are wrong as I do so enjoy the #1's.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I do remember when the SS/Laminate No.1's first came out.

I looked at my bother and stated, Ruger No.1 guys, who go for single-shot walnut/blue I would not think are the same guys who go for SS/laminate rifles.

I remember them selling for $600 to $700 when all of the other models were routinely were selling for $800 on up. In essence you could not give them away! Now the SS/laminate rifles are commanding $1200 on up. Whoda thunk!!

An opinion, just like an a-hole, everyone has one, but it still looks like cleaning up the stuff laying around to me, near the end.

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
IC B3

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
Freedumb1: Perhaps the disparity in price ($100.00 to $200.00) like you illustrated between the laminated and the solid wood stocked #1's was due to production costs?
I don't know - I do know the stainless heavy barreled SS #1's sell readily on the used Rifle market.
And that may be caused by "collector" incentive induced by rarity as opposed to a Hunter/shooter wanting the "advantage" of a stainless laminated Rifle?
The Ruger #1-V (not a stainlees laminate Rifle) in 220 Swift is still for sale at my local gun shop.
It gets much attention but no takers at $1,150.00 as yet.
I am not qualified to disagree with your "clean up and near the end" contention but again I do hope that is NOT the case.
Long live the Ruger #1.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
well, to the title of the thread, here's something I posted on 4/29:

calibers now up at Ruger's website:

1A - .280 Rem
1S - 9.3x62 (first time in the #1, IIRC)
1V - da Swuft
1H - .450/.400 Nitro Express 3"
1RSI - .257 Bob
distributor exclusive, Lipsey's .45-70 26" Circassian

no #1B

MSRP - $1399.00

so it ain't done died yet... smile

But I might yet have to harass Ruger about the 26 Nosler...

grin

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
The Ruger #1-V in 220 Swift that I originally posted about is still available in my local gunshop.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

V
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
V
VarmintGuy: Dang tourists!
One of them came through town saw the Rifle in question (Ruger #1-V N.I.B.) fell for it and BOUGHT the danged thing this week!
Good for him.
He who hesitates has lost.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I have not been victimized by a swelling or shifting forend to date on any of the many #1's I have owned and do own."

Well, I have 20 various versions of the Ruger #1 and not a single one of them has the internal non-finish portion of the stock sealed againse moisture. I now consider them fair weather rifles.
What made me look into the problem is I took my #1B in .300 Win. Mag. on an elk hunt in Oregon. This was way back when I was back in the early 1980's. While nearing the top of the mountain I got caught in one hell of a rain storm. The wind was such the it literally ripped my rain coat off. Down in the valley at the John Day airport they recorded wind gusts tp 120 MPH. shocked
Probably because I was sheltered by trees I didn't get buffeted worse that I did. Even worse, none of us saw one legal elk on that trip.
On the way home we stopped at a ranch near the Oregon boerder on the Nevada side to hunt a few pheasants. WE'd just got out of the truck when we spotted a coyote running off with a pheasant. I three shots off and none of us saw where the bullets hit and Mr. Yote had a nice meal.
After I got home, I took that .300 Mag. to the range and it was shooting at least two feet over the target backer. That's when I removed the forearm and saw the wood was not sealed. Without making thei sad story any sadder, all I will add is it took almost four years for that stock and forearm to dry out enough that the rifle would shoot to point of aim. I did remove the wood, front and back and stored it in my reloading shed/workshop. Every once in a while I'd put it on the barreled action, run to the range and try three shots. Every time after that when I acquired another #1, off would come the wood and once more, the stock and forearm were not sealed.
So, if you have not had any problems of the type you mention, good luck. Me? If it looks like rain, mine will stay home.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by PJGunner

Well, I have 20 various versions of the Ruger #1 and not a single one of them has the internal non-finish portion of the stock sealed againse moisture. I now consider them fair weather rifles.
Me? If it looks like rain, mine will stay home.
Paul B.

I learned that lesson long ago in a similar type monsoon, only with a 270win Ruger 77 TS. Mine took years to dry out. Back in those days I did all my hunting with the same rifle, only CF I had.

Now when it's looking like rain the Stainless Syn rifles come out to play.

AJD

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
645 members (160user, 1234, 257 roberts, 1lessdog, 2500HD, 257Bob, 73 invisible), 2,722 guests, and 1,319 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,651
Posts18,399,163
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.