Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
A buddy of mine has a Mossberg that has been in the closet for the last 5-6 months. he pulled it out for a good cleaning and couldnt get the choke tube out. He finally started getting it and it got really hard...so hard in fact, that he had to get a pipe wrench to finally get it out. The threads were perfect both on the choke tube and the gun. The next tube went in super easy. He put the bad tube up to the barrel and it was a bigger diameter than the barrel.

So what caused this? He has never shot steel shot through the gun, not even once.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
there's lots of questions needing to be answered and i for one would love to see some pics. but let me just say this, if he is sure that was a original factory choke and it has bulged then chances are any other choke he screws into that same barrel has the potential to not engage enough thread to keep it there when he fires it. i would advise your friend to have the gun checked out by a smith or contact mossberg to have it sent in for evaluation before someone gets hurt.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Good point. He did say when I asked that it seemed a little loose.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
just toss the bad choke into file 13 and replace it

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I think he threw it away. I told him to dig it out if he had to dumpster dive but I am not sure if he did. I will ask. The barrel shows no obvious sign of bulging.

IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I was just curious to see if anyone had any ideas on what may have caused this.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
sounds like a screwed up or damaged thread on the choke

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
He put the bad tube up to the barrel and it was a bigger diameter than the barrel.

If it was inside the barrel before, then that statement can't be true

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Berettaman
I was just curious to see if anyone had any ideas on what may have caused this.

I see this happen all the time...

What happens is that grit and debris from powder, primers and plastic wads gets forced into the threads over time. Add a little oxidation, and the tubes can get welded in there pretty tight under pressure.

To remove them safely, the ends of the barrels may need to soak in Kroil for a week to avoid damage...a pipe wrench is not the best tool for the job here.

My solution is that choke tube threads need to be lubed with anti-seize. Oil or grease doesn't work. They're often not lubed as they come from the factory, and the factory may even be inclined to screw them on too tight.

It's also a good idea to unscrew the tube and re-apply the anti-seize as part of the normal cleaning process to make sure they stay loose.

It ain't all burritos and strippers my friends...
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Yep. A schmear of Anti-Seize on the threads is never a bad idea.

For anyone that may experience resistance like this in the filter, a week long soak in Kroil will work it's way in there and make it a bit easier to remove. Btdt on a buddies choke.

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use Birchwood Casey choke thread lube on all my screw in chokes

https://www.birchwoodcasey.com/Cleaning-and-Maintenance/Choke-Tube-Lube-Grease.aspx

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
He stated that when he held it up, it was visibly bigger than the hole it was supposed to go in. In other words, it expanded when it was removed. The threads were not full of gunk, he screwed the next one in very easy....in fact, he wondered if it was too easy. The guy is a pretty knowledgeable guy, I wouldnt doubt anything he said. Crazy, I know. That is why I posted this conundrum here!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Obviously it's one of those 21st-century choke tubes made out of miracle polymer instead of steel. They never vibrate loose, and the constriction automatically adjusts to the range of the shot!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by Berettaman
A buddy of mine has a Mossberg

So what caused this?

You answered your own question.

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Obviously it's one of those 21st-century choke tubes made out of miracle polymer instead of steel. They never vibrate loose, and the constriction automatically adjusts to the range of the shot!

Don't forget they never dirty with plastic, or powder residue.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Ha! yeah, it being a Mossberg is about 99.9% of the problem!

He is as baffled as I over this. It just doesnt make sense. He was really confused when no way would it go back in its hole, but the full choke went in easily.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (35, 10Glocks, 14idaho, 6mmbrfan, 280shooter, 2500HD, 6 invisible), 1,558 guests, and 704 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,599
Posts18,454,536
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.