Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Do I need one? Will it outshoot an Anschutz sporter? Are the magazines troublesome or is this an internet rumor? Are the magazines custom or from a mass producer (Savage, Marlin,etc...). Douglas barrel?

Thinking I might be missing out without one of these. Almost ordered with recently ordered centerfire.

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Buy his single shot....I have two repeaters and the magazines ARE troublesome. He gets them from an outside provider and he has admitted to me that he has had feeding issues with them...I have ten magazines and all but a couple are unreliable...

Both of my rifles are accurate enough but will not outshoot my Anschutz 54 or Cooper sporters...

They do have Douglas barrels and, at their price point, are a great rifle...

Life's too short to smoke cheap cigars....
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have 2 magazines that came with my .22. Both function perfectly...............

LC

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine shoots very well with many different types of ammo. It does not feed great unless the rifle is spotless in the action area though.

I think there are better .22's out there for sure, but I will probably never sell mine.

Last edited by cooperfan; 04/19/14.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I've only 'played' with one that a pard had. As others have stated, the one I played with fed like crap. I can't imagine dropping the coin on one.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
mine is a 17mach 2 it feeds fine.........
the magazines are hand made by someone other than Melvin
mine has a douglas #1
I have a cooper and it will shoot with it but i will admit it is hard to cut holes with that tiny 17 bullet sometimes
i dont think mine will ever be for sale

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Mine feeds ok if you go slow. Both mags work.

Since my aiming point kept changing, I'm thinking it will shoot a little better. On 9x of a 3-9, not sure if more xxxx's would make any difference.

Never shot an Anschutz, so don't know if I could do any better. Nice to have a .22LR that pretty much duplicates your CF in feel and handling.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

For looks a Cooper beats it every which way and probably shoots just as well.

Addition: If I had it to do over would go with the single shot since I rarely use the mags anyway.

Last edited by battue; 04/19/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
Those are impressive 20 shot groups. My 2 Anschutz 54 sporters might do that. I would probably pull one or two so might never know. I asked Melvin about the mags and he said that they worked great unless the were dropped. He was a tiny bit defensive about the issue. I understand why he might have been but I simply wondered if the mag system had been updated. Based on what am reading here, I might wait on this purchase. Will keep free some capital to possibly buy another Nula centerfire.

Last edited by bonefish; 04/19/14.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Well....these aren't good things to hear. I really don't want a single shot. You'd think someone as detailed oriented as Mr. Forbes would get this straightened out.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I'd sure like one but that magazine has me spooked also.

Not that a charging gray squirrel is much of a threat but thats a hassle at the bench I don't relish.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Mine feeds 100% with four rounds in the mag. With five the first round sometimes hangs up. So I load four.

In fact, with four down it feeds slicker and smoother than every 223 AI I've been around.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by prairie_goat
Mine feeds 100% with four rounds in the mag. With five the first round sometimes hangs up. So I load four.

In fact, with four down it feeds slicker and smoother than every 223 AI I've been around.

I could live with four.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Lawdwaz
Originally Posted by prairie_goat

I could live with four.

It's four times as good as a single shot... Yeah, I'd be more than ok with 4 rounds...in the dangerous squirrel situation you could go 4 down and 1 in the pipe.

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
About one out of every 4 rounds does not eject from almost every Anschutz repeater, including both of mine. You learn to live with the quirks of an owned rifle. I guess the Nula rimfire is entitled to have a quirk or two. I am surprised that this issue has not been fully resolved. I honestly could live with a single shot in every firearm except a shotgun. Resale value of a single shot sporter 22 would probably be less than that of a repeater.

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I can get 10 out 10 to feed every time in my 10/22's and 77/22. Of course those are just run of the mill factory guns and very expensive semi-customs.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I've not seen a factory 10/22 or 77/22 that will keep up in the accuracy department with my ULA. I've seen a couple 10/22s with match chambers that had failure to extract/eject issues.

Ruger 22s are some of my favorites when it comes to an all around 22. But there's a pile of different rifles out there that will outshoot them in factory garb.

The NULA is by no means "the answer" in 22 rifles. But the NULA appeals to me much more than the wood stocked/blued rifles to which it is often compared.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The story Melvin told me years ago was that when he decided to make a .22 repeater (he'd been making the single-shot for a while already) was that he contracted with a company to make the magazines, since he didn't have the tooling to do sheet-metal and it would have been economically impractical to buy it.

So he contracted with a company, specifically requesting the tooling be made with a hard steel so it would hold up over a long period. Instead, they figured he'd never buy enough magazines to wear out softer steel, which would be much easier to make the tooling with. (He paid them to make the tooling out of harder steel.) The first magazines worked fine, but after around 400 they didn't, since the tooling was wearing--which is when Melvin discovered the reason for the problem.

I don't know what happened after that, whether he contracted with another company or what. The few magazines I've used have worked fine, and of course the rifles shoot great. I first shot a NULA .22 sporter in West Virginia during a visit with Melvin 20-some years ago, and with the right ammo we were lighting kitchen matches at 50 yards with about half the shots, which was a lot of fun!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

I have an ULA 22rf, and it shoots 1/2 to 2/3 inch ten shot groups at 50 yds all day long. I'm shooting Winchester sub-sonics and the SGB(Small Game Bullet).

Perfect for prairie dogs and head shots on squirrels and ground hogs.

Steve

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My buddy purchased one and it had a feeding issue and he had to send it back to NULA for servicing. My Kimber out grouped it . My opinion, they are over priced and over rated buy a Cooper or Kimber.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
The one I have shoots great but feeds fair. The biggest reason I got one was to have a 22 that felt like my ULA hunting rifle. It makes for cheap practice.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

583 members (10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 10ring1, 65 invisible), 3,054 guests, and 1,166 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,698
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.