Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by obewan
Originally Posted by Freedumb1

Careful!! your starting down the road of the Ruger No.1 fanatic! One, then two, then soon it will be 16.
Best of luck with your new No.1!!

Mitch

Mitch, thanks for the info, I wasn't aware of different weight barrels for the 1-H.

As for becoming a fanatic, well I've been making enquiries about a 9.3x74.... So I see your point! :-)

Cheers, Scott.

Scott,

I had a medium sporter in the 9.3X74R and it is fantastic set up! It is an "S" model so you get the light weight and the great round. (Not up to the 375 H&H but I'm sure the reloaders could fix that!)

Something about loading a single-shot when you slide those shells that seem 5" long and rimmed into your rifle. Made me feel like I was Africa bound.

The 9.3X74R is an absolute winner!! Woodliegh makes numerous bullets that should be right up your alley!

Mitch

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
GB1

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Hey Mitch, you're right about guns having a certain flavour, my stainless laminate 45-70 gives me visions of tramping through a snowy boreal forest, whereas a nice blued timber 375 or 9.3 gives me thoughts of Africa too. I think that's part of the charm of these No1's, they have a certain character to them that inspires.

Just got some loads done for the 45-70 with some 350 gn FPs loaded to give approx 1900fps, so I'm keen to get out and give those a run!

The 375 Holland should be in my possession by Saturday week. :-)

Cheers, Scott.

Speak softly and carry a big stick.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Scott,

Be prepared to be spoiled. Assuming you can handle the recoil. smile Actually recoil isn't that bad. But I've seen guys who never shot anything bigger than a .243 try a .375 and they thought it was horrible.

I have owned three #1's in .375 H&H. The first two were surprisingly accurate. The 3rd has yet to be fired. (by me) I've no reason to believe it will be any different. smile

Just holding a .375 in your hands makes one think of Lion, Leopard and Cape Buffalo. Most of us will never journey to the Dark Continent to hunt, but just by owning a .375 we can have visions run thru our heads... grin

GH

"As you walk thru life, don't be surprised that there are fewer people that you encounter seeking truth than those seeking confirmation of what they already believe!"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Scott,

Be prepared to be spoiled. Assuming you can handle the recoil. smile Actually recoil isn't that bad. But I've seen guys who never shot anything bigger than a .243 try a .375 and they thought it was horrible.

I have a #1 tropical in .375 H&H and find the recoil right smart, especially at ranges where you can only shoot long guns off a bench. With a scope it comes back so quickly I tend to dodge the scope. I also have one in .458 Win mag and recoil with it does not seem as severe. I think it is because the .375 seems to recoil much quicker, don't know if that makes much sense.

On the other hand I have one of the CZ Safari American models in .375 H&H and it is a pussycat. Recoil with it is not as bad as my first centerfire a pre 64 Win mod 70 featherweight in 30-06

A lot of perceived recoil has to go with the stock configuration, length of pull, and weight, as well as the caliber and load.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

On the other hand, I love shooting mine, even from prone! Prior to bear season, I'll take it to the range for some good practice sessions, banging steel out to 300 yards. To me, the recoil is more like a big push than a sharp rap. Mine does have a good Pachmayer recoil pad. At any rate, the doggone things can be quite accurate, and a lot of fun to shoot!

Regards, Guy

IC B2

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
mine is a tackdriver as well. wish I could use it on a bear one day

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GuyM

[Linked Image]

Good looking rifle/scope package. That's probably what mine will end up being set up like. ;-)

How old is your rifle Guy, it looks pretty new? Also what rings are they? They look lower than the std ones?

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited by obewan; 04/19/14.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Not sure the age of the rifle, I'm the third or fourth owner. John Barsness used to own this one. That made load-development a snap as he'd published loads he worked up for this particular rifle!

It's been around at least 15 years I'd guess. I've had it on several bear & elk hunts. John took it to Africa, twice I believe.

Standard Ruger rings, 1.5-5x Leupold sighted in at 200 yards. Works great!

Regards, Guy

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by GuyM
Not sure the age of the rifle, I'm the third or fourth owner. John Barsness used to own this one. That made load-development a snap as he'd published loads he worked up for this particular rifle!

It's been around at least 15 years I'd guess. I've had it on several bear & elk hunts. John took it to Africa, twice I believe.

Standard Ruger rings, 1.5-5x Leupold sighted in at 200 yards. Works great!

Regards, Guy

That's very cool that you know it's history, I'd like to know where and what my 25yo rifle ran into in its time. It's gotta have got those character marks from somewhere.

Cheers, Scott.

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
G'day folks, well I picked it up this morning. Awesome gun! More pics soon.

Cheers, Scott.

IC B3

obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
More pics with my 45-70.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited by obewan; 05/02/14.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
A really great-looking rifle, Scott... small wonder you were so excited about it !~!~! grin

Ron T.

It's smart to hang around old guys 'cause they know lotsa stuff...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
That's a nice looking pair of Rugers!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
obewan,

Wanna have some fun with that pretty new bangstick of yours? Try loading 40gr of 5744 under a 270gr bullet. You're gonna like it!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

They say "don't shoot the donor. Pretty sound advice most likely. Well, I went one worse and went out and started shooting the "for sale". And now it ain't anymore (for sale). I surely enjoy the 375 H&H in a #1; I believe the recoil 'fits' me better in the #1 than in the even heavier M77 Ruger Magnum Rifle 375 H&H. So now I'll probably move that one instead. They're both nice rifles and redundant in the fact that they are nice 'gentlemen hunt'-type rifles. (I already have a beater M70 stainless so I hardly need one, let alone two nice 375s.) smile

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks folks, I'm taking them both out on Friday for a sight in session. Hope my shoulder holds out! ;-)

Cheers, Scott.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by obewan
Thanks folks, I'm taking them both out on Friday for a sight in session. Hope my shoulder holds out! ;-)

Cheers, Scott.

You can shoot the 40gr/5744 load all day long, and still have a shoulder left at the end of the day!

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
N
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
N
I think you're hooked!

NRA Life,Endowment,Patron or Benefactor since '72.
obewan Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Well folks, I went out and put some rounds through them both today, surprisingly there wasn't a lot of difference in recoil between the two of them.

The heavier Tropical soaked up the 270 and 300gr Federal factory loads nicely. It definately kicks, but it's a big thump rather than a sharp jab.

The 45-70 had a little less push, but a little more muzzle climb probably due to being 2" shorter and 2lb lighter. I was shooting 350gr FN @1900 FPS.

A good fun day was had!

Now to hunt up a Leupold 1-4x20 for the 375.....

Cheers, Scott.

Last edited by obewan; 05/09/14.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

573 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 1234, 10gaugeman, 06hunter59, 39 invisible), 2,677 guests, and 1,146 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,511
Posts18,452,647
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.