Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
I previously indicated very bad results from my first attempt at 40gr HP Bergers and some Lil Gun. MOA's of 4 to 5 inches were the norm. Prvi factory ammo was much better but averaged 2540fps. I also tried three primers which seemed to be pointless at the time.

I read what Mule Deer wrote here about 40gr plastic tipped bullets and 13gr. Lil Gun even though the "book" listed 11 grs. as max. I was fortunate to find some 40 gr. Hornady V Max bullets and picked up a box. Their COAL measured 1.917".
So I loaded up 13gr. Lil Gun and the V Max bullets set at 1.900" COAL.
I loaded 15 rounds of each with three different primers - as everyone says they may
make a big difference. I loaded CCI 400, Rem. 7.5 and Fed 205.

It was a pleasure to have this rifle finally deliver very acceptable groups at 100 yards. The first two groups (left to right) went 7/8" and the last, 3/4" (Fed 205).
The velocity with the CCI's was 3000fps, Rem 7.5 was 3092fps and 3040fps for the Fed 205's.

While I am not done with load development, today made a huge improvement of which I attribute to the plastic tipped, longer bullets. I also should say I remember Mule Der talking about checking for any wood contact on the front end of the action. I took the forearm off and found some shiny spots on both sides that were sanded down and re-checked.

So thanks for all the 22 Hornet talk here and thanks to mule Deer for his advice.
It really worked out better than I expected. I apologize for the photo size - I'm still new with the iMac.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by bigwhoop; 04/18/14.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great information.
I can't believe you are able to get some shooting with it dropping 12" of snow this week up your direction!!

I think were supposed to get some more white stuff on Easter Sunday!!

I've got a 1-V in .223 Rem, an older Red Pad, and a K1-V in .204 w/26" bbl. I can't wait to check both of them out.

I really want to catch some of those South Dakota prairie dogs this Spring!! (When they are young and dumb.)

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer but how he hunted it.
B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Steve, we lucked out with the snow line starting at the north end of the Twin Cities and moving further north.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Bigwhoop: I am thrilled for you and your #1-B Hornet perking up so nicely!
That was also interesting the variance in F.P.S. with the three different primers.
After probably 500 - 600 rounds of test loads down my good looking but not very good shooting Hornet #1-B - when I got a load that shot just a tad under 1" groups (5 shots at 100 yards) I "settled" on that load.
Keep an eye out for brass (or cheap factory ammo!) as it is VERY hard to come by anymore.
In your picture the wood on your #1-B looks rather dark and nice - and what scope is that you have on it?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I recall reading "back in the day" that the No.1 Hornets has too fast a twist rate for "normal" Hornet bullets 35-45 gr and that punching them out to K Hornet and making a longer throat for 50-55 gr bullets made a spray and pray rifle into a fly swatter.

My two Hornets (A Savage 23 D deluxe and a R.F. Sedgley short action Springfield) that both have the slow "Hornet twist" love those 40 gr Hornady tipped bullets and Lil Gun. Either will shoot 3/4" 5 shot groups. In both they must be single loaded as both magazines were designed for the old semi pointed 45 gr SP.

Here's a link to folks who claim to have a ton of brass, even nickel plated !

http://www.lohmanarms.com/product_p/winu22h.htm

IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
VG, The scope is a Leupie 3-9x40 VXII. Nothing dramatic but with the Ruger seemingly ready to perform, I might kick it up a notch.
But first things first. I need to duplicate the performance at least two more times to assure I am on the right track. More chrony data will provide a more statistically valid set of velocities.
But for now, I'm glad I've gotten this far.

V
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
V
Spanishhombre: Thanks for that link and your take on the #1's proclivities.
You mentioned nickel plated Hornet brass and after years of unsuccessful on and off load development a poster on this forum suggested that I try the nickel plated brass. That poster relayed how's he had been having a hard time obtaining accuracy in his Hornet until he went to nickel plated brass and 35 grain V-Max bullets!
I followed his suggestions and low and behold I settled on the nickel plated brass loaded with 35 grain Hornady V-Max bullets - one of those two components sure made a big improvement in my Hornets accuracy.
Thanks again for the link.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
bigwhoop,

Glad the suggestions helped!

One thing you might also try is epoxy bedding the forend tip. Have had that improve several No. 1's, though my Hornet shot so well out of the box I didn't bother.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I've used JB's epoxy bedding approach on the forend tip on two #1's, and the accuracy of both improved significantly.

It almost seems too easy for such a great result.

Thanks JB.

Steve

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
You're welcome, Steve!

It seems to work particularly well on lighter-barreled No. 1's, but have seen it work on heavier barrels as well.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
Ok I will consider that as I move thru the next range sessions. Need a couple more to verify the first.
Thanks again to all.

B
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
B
The second range session was every bit as good as the previous. This is going to be fun!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Good deal!

The field's going to be fun too, believe me.

John Steinbeck
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
MD,

Any idea why Nosler holds max loads with Lil'Gun down so low, 11 grs for the 40 gr slugs? I always loaded to the 13 gr level after reading a Ross Seyfried article many years ago and, like you, have had zero issues.

Conduct is the best proof of character.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,109
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.