Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#8791664 04/18/14
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am having an issue with consistency. Last year I used elephant bp with a lubed patch and ball and at 50 yards I'd hit where I wanted then the next one would be off then maybe the third or 4th shot would be back near the first. I have some time to work with it and need some advice. I have a CVA mountain stalker. I had misfire issues with it but seem to have solved that issue with magnum caps. I have some conicals and they seem to do a little better but not much,got any ideas? Been fighting rust issues with this thing also, fellow who had it before was a little slack in the cleaning dept and he had a scope on it. I want to feel good about hunting with it but right now I am worried.

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
BP-B2

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Good morning.
If you were shooting PRB , the first thing I would suggest is that you were having patch issues . In other words you would need to go out and take a look at your patches and see what was going on
But you say your using conical so that leads me to think your having an issue with the conical expanding to the rifling .
That could be caused by a lot of things , distortion when loading , overly pitted rifling . Even powder .
Myself I have never been a fan of elephant powder . I have read some say that its gotten better . My experience however was that it was inconsistent and fouled badly do to the poor choice in charcoal used .
As to your ignition issue . Magnum caps are probably just a Band-Aid . . But as long as they work for you , 2 thumbs up . However if you start having inconsistent ignition with those . My bet is you will find that you flash channel is fouled to the point its restricting the fire from the caps from reaching the main charge . that�s very common in the CVA rifles do to the longer necked bolster . Since you said the PO didn�t keep it well maintained . The channel is probably plugged so tightly with carbonized fouling that the flash channel is down to about the size of a needle , all the way from the base of the nipple and through the neck .

So here is what I would do .
Clean the rifle very well . Make sure that the flash channel is completely clear . That means removing the clean out screw on the bolster and cleaning out the flash channel of the bolster . The hole going from the base of the cap , though the neck of the bolster will be 1/8 to 3/16 . Make sure when you put the clean out back in , you use anti seize so that it doesn�t corrode to the point it wont come out . Once its cleaned out , if the hole is properly maintained , you shouldn�t have to remove it very often . If you can get the cleanout removed , then you will have to use repeated soaks with solvent and repeated picking with a wire to clean it out .
If your wanting to use PRB , start by shooting off a bench rest . Start working a load . In other words shoot 4 or 5 shots for group . Go out and collect the patches from those shots and see whats happening . If your load is tearing holes or burning up the patchs , there is one of your issues that you will need to work on . Work on changing your powder charge tell you come up with a load that reduces the group to its smallest .
Once you have that small group , then move your sights tell the group is where your aiming

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
+1 captchee.

I would ditch the Elephant powder and would get some Goex in 2f or 3f (I use 3f in everything 'cept my shotguns).
Be aware of lead fouling too. When I used to shoot lead conicals, it didn't take many shots to foul the barrel.

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
thats a great gun!

Goex would be the best for instant fire. Pyrodex RS or Pyrodex P is pretty good in it as well.

.018" patch, start off with 70 grains powder and see how that works. Clean between each shot as well.

The mountain stalker can have anywhere from a 1:32 to a 1:38 twist and should be stamped in the barrel.

If the ball doesnt work, a 295gr powerbelt aerotip does wonders in the accuracy department.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
714 members (117LBS, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10Glocks, 77 invisible), 2,706 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,688
Posts18,399,775
Members73,820
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.