Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by luv2safari
Originally Posted by gsganzer
I don't know where you live, but for $20K, you should be able to find a nice package. Here are some prices from a JD dealer.

JD Packages

Guys buy used tractors in TX and truck them out here to NV and CA to sell to CA transplants, now retired and on their Nevada "ranch"...10 acres of desert. They sell so high here that it is a lucrative enterprise.

A smaller $6,000 tractor in TX will sell for $12,000 here.

Yup.

We call em', "2 Gallon overhauls".

....LOTS of burnt out rice paddy tractors find a new home , in this venue.

Good used L-series Kubotas are pretty hard to beat, and where I'd put my $$

GTC

Member, Clan of the Border Rats
-- “Sometimes I wonder whether the world is being run by smart people who are putting us on or by imbeciles who really mean it.”- Mark Twain

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have a 26hp cub cadet which is the same as mahindra and a few others produced by mtd which is a mitsubishi. I have no block heater and it sits outside and ALWAYS starts right up. I've had zero issues in 500 hours and have used it for lots of grading and tilling. It's swings a 7 foot mower, it doesn't know it's only 26hp....it will do everything my neighbors 35hp will do. I would buy it again.....I don't need a dealer though, I buy filters from Napa and have yet to need a part, which is easily available online.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by taylorce1
Well looks like it's going to probably be an LS, Kubota, or John Deere. That's the three compact tractors sold within 30 miles. I really like the idea of parts support that close.
Give them all a test run at the dealer, if you can. Check all for ease of loader operation. Find out hydraulic pump capacity. Inspect the 3-pt hitch for sturdiness (THAT was one thing that kept NH out of the running for me at the time), compare the front axles for strength (another blow to NH via JD), compare the ease of maintenance access (oil changes, filter changes, zerk fittings) etc..

Maybe the others have this as well, but I do like the Quicktach option on the JD. It makes the changing of implements on the back a snap - taking only a minute or two to accomplish.

Note diesel tank capacity - most probably have enough to run the machine a full day w/o refueling, but check anyway. When you're on board, note how controls, seat adjustment etc., fit you and if you're comfy with all positions..

Finally, let us all know what you end up with and what triggered the decision.. Best wishes.

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I didnt read the whole thread, so its probably been said, but go to tractor auctions and by a good used tractor.

My BIL bought a 2004 JD 5105? ( 50 hp tractor) with a JD front-end loader for $12,000 in 2008. The tractor had less than 100 hrs on it and it looked new.

I see a 5105 (50 hp) with front end loader, 184 hours, 2 WD on tractorhouse.com for $14,600 (auction bid price at this time). That would give you $5000 to go get it or have it shipped to you and you would have much more tractor than a compact.

Just my $.02

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't know what you guys get for fuel economy, but my tractor will till or mow about 40 acres before it needs fuel. The tank holds about 5 gallons. It's a serious fuel miser. I don't like the ergonomics of the older tractor, mine has tilt and you can step through without a shifter in the way. My loader control is the same as a backhoe.

Originally Posted by BrentD

I would not buy something that runs on any kind of primer given the possibility of primer shortages and even regulations. In fact, why not buy a flintlock? Really. Rocks aren't going away anytime soon.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Green ain't bad if it comes with this attachment. whistle [Linked Image]

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those attachments sure are fun but they tend to be high maintenance. That and all of your buddies are constantly asking to borrow it.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
uh yes I'd really like to borrow that attachment!

Bart mentioned Branson, pard has one here that he had shipped up from Seattle, demo model, just a lil over 20K and he loves the thing.

can't blame him

I'd love it too if he'd let me borrow it more often!

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Kubota

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
[quote=Mink] Green ain't bad if it comes with this attachment. whistle [Linked Image] [/quote
I don't know much about tractors. Is that a back hoe?

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B3

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

144 members (163bc, 44mc, 257 mag, 007FJ, 10Glocks, 14 invisible), 1,695 guests, and 897 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,236
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.