Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I would like to learn to make some elk sounds for fun and to consider archery hunting once I get comfortable.
Went and bought a Primos single reed and stuck it in as the directions say and began gagging.
Not sure what it is, but can't seem to figure out to get it seated to try to make a noise.
How much of the fabric like tab can I cut off and still make it useful?
Any other tips to try as having my hands free might be useful if trying to lure an elk in closer?
Thanks

Keep Smiling
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
screw diaphrams...... cow-talk by e.l.k. inc is your friend.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Trim the latex exactly the same width out from the metal frame. In other words, if the frame is 1/8 an inch, go 1/8 out and trim it parallel all the way around. When you use it, keep it pressed up against the roof of your mouth when blowing. I keep it bit between my teeth out of my mouth when moving between positions.

Conrad101st
1/503 Inf., 2nd ID (90-91)
3/327 Inf., 101st ABN (91-92)
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I can't use diaphragm calls. The gagging and dry heaving seems to scare the elk off. The call the works best for me is the Primos Hyper lip single. It is the only one that I can make the same sounds consistently and elk respond as well.

I would suggest to never use the Hoochie Mama, I have seen more elk scared off by those things than road hunters.

G
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yep...amazing call ain't it!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B2

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by Godogs57
Originally Posted by huntsman22

Yep...amazing call ain't it!

They are hard to use ,if not impossible if you have caps on your front teeth.

In cold weather, you need to keep them inside your coat or the plastic gets too hard to squeeze.

I had to go to reed call. I like the Lil Chuckler from Elk Nut Productions as you can take the reed part out of the tube and use it as a cow call.

I also keep two other reed calls on a lanyard about my neck to make different sounds

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
HI Jon--FWIW--At least for my turkey mouth calls...It helps me if I concentrate on breathing through my nose....not my mouth. It seems to greatly help extend the time I can keep a call in my mouth. I remove it for a few minutes periodically to relax the gag reflex. If I can avoid reaching the gag point at all by frequently taking it out, I can continue using them a lot longer. I usually take them out while moving from place to place to give it a rest. Also...conditioning the reflex by practicing with the call at home for short periods, but working to extend the time as I do helps me. Seems some of it is mental...when you get to the point where you sort of forget about it..it becomes much easier. Good luck. Joe

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MO2AZ
conditioning the reflex by practicing with the call at home for short periods, but working to extend the time

Linda Lovelace used a different method of 'conditioning'.....

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Trimming is the way to start I keep in my teeth when moving as well. I never had the problem. It is meant to be in the roof of your mouth. The advantage is your hands are free. Blow calls are ok when your at a distance. Were we hunt the elk get very call shy its easier for me to call softer with a reed and vary the sounds pitches. I guess bottom line is keep practicing. I prefer mouth calls I can bend to fit the roof of my mouth. Good luck

If there is any proof of a man in a hunt it is not whether he killed a deer or elk but how he hunted it.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
I've always been lucky, in the fact that I can put any diaphram call in my mouth and make it sound like what I'm trying to call and other critters. I can elk bugle with turkey calls like nobody's business. smile

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by JonS
I would like to learn to make some elk sounds for fun and to consider archery hunting once I get comfortable.
Went and bought a Primos single reed and stuck it in as the directions say and began gagging.
Not sure what it is, but can't seem to figure out to get it seated to try to make a noise.
How much of the fabric like tab can I cut off and still make it useful?
Any other tips to try as having my hands free might be useful if trying to lure an elk in closer?
Thanks

Gargle with some Viscous Lidocaine or spray some Cetacaine Spray in your throat prior to calling and it will knock out your gag reflex .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Be sure and use the reeds with the extra piece that fits up against the roof of your mouth. That is the only way I can take the vibration. I use the primos "palate plate"

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Primos174-Palate-Plate-Elk-Diaphragm-Calls/740005.uts?Ntk=AllProducts&searchPath=%2Fcatalog%2Fsearch.cmd%3Fform_state%3DsearchForm%26N%3D0%26fsch%3Dtrue%26Ntk%3DAllProducts%26Ntt%3Dprimos%2Belk%2Bcalls%26WTz_l%3DHeader%253BSearch-All%2BProducts%26x%3D0%26y%3D0&Ntt=primos+elk+calls&WTz_l=Header%3BSearch-All+Products

Last edited by txhunter58; 04/21/14.

Venor ergo sum
K
krp Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
K
The primos palate plate make a difference to me, much easier use than a flat diaphragm. A diaphragm's ranges, variations and nuances is invaluable. I do have different blow calls, even a hochie, to add in the mix. But the diaphragm is 80% of my calling.

The sonic dome is too one dimensional.

You never know which call or note a specific bull will key on... but the more you sound like a herd and not blowing the same tune, the more bulls you'll call in.

Kent

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have never had a problem using a diaphragm and always have one in my mouth when turkey hunting and most of the time to locate a Elk . I believe my Elk call is made by Sceery

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by bea175

Gargle with some Viscous Lidocaine or spray some Cetacaine Spray in your throat prior to calling and it will knock out your gag reflex .

Does the hunter have any heart irregularities? Llver and kidneys function? Is the hunter allergic to any anesthetics?

Lidocaine viscous has a usual effect of approximately 30 minutes and probably should not be used more than 4 to 6 times per day. It is typically used one time quick procedures or for short term conditions.

Casually recommending the use of Lidocaine viscous for the short term is questionable and for what may be a long term hunt perhaps dangerous.

Last edited by battue; 04/22/14.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
It has no long term effect i have used it on a number of patient over many years and we prescript it to patients who have throat cancer or chronic throat pain . When mixed with water it has no real effect on the heart sinus rhythm.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
prescript it to patients who have throat cancer or chronic throat pain .

I'll bet rubber dicks and the Linda Lovelace practice method of gag reflex suppression, would be hard on those kinda guys... method

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
It has no long term effect i have used it on a number of patient over many years and we prescript it to patients who have throat cancer or chronic throat pain . When mixed with water it has no real effect on the heart sinus rhythm.

Thanks. We use it in the hospital on a short term basis and as a Pharmacist I'm always cautious of warnings and adverse reactions.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I use 1% Lidocain when changing out trachs to keep the patient from having bronchospasms. I put 10 cc down the trach and the new one will go right in with no problems or spasms . I also use Viscous for all Bronchs

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I've seen enough of the new residents attempt that procedure on infants and children to know it respectfully borders on art.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

643 members (1badf350, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,687
Posts18,456,421
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.