Print Thread
Hop To
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
This is the process I use to make the broadheads that I hunt with with my homemade bows.

I use 125 grain field points and reshape them to remove the shoulders. this step may not be necessary buy It looks nice.

the blades are cut from a .039 thick bandsaw blade.

[Linked Image]

the jig for slotting the field point is made of steel and clamps the point while the spacer (piece of hacksaw blade) Leaves room for the saw to pass between the two halves to cut the slot.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I then polish the two pieces and make sure I have a good fit up.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Next I braze the two parts together although I think solder or even J.B. Weld would suffice. I may try this on the next batch because brazing is messy and I have to quench afterward to make sure the heads are hard.

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/broadheads999.jpg[/img]

After cleaning and polishing again, I use a cold bluing to protect the heads and then a light coat of oil.
[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/broadheads991.jpg[/img]

Finished weight, 165 grains. about 1 inch wide (15/16) and 1 1/4 long.

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/broadheads992.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/broadheads993.jpg[/img]

GB1

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
After reading Dr. Ashby's report on single bevel broadheads.(right after I finished the last batch of double bevel heads)
I just had to make some single bevel heads. It just makes so much sense. I will test both to see if I get his results.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

After making the first set of single bevel heads, I made a new set with a longer profile.

Then I fooled around with a longer version.

[Linked Image]

This is the latest design and the one I hunt with now.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
As luck would have it, a neighbor brought me a fresh archery kill to process for him. I asked him if it would be ok to test my heads on his deer. He didn't mind since he wanted the whole deer ground into sausage and/or burger. So here she is. All 68 pounds of her (dressed) I would have loved to be trying this on a 150 pound deer but beggars can't be choosers.

[Linked Image]

I made three shots from 10 yards with my 45 pound longbow that shoots an arrow at a blazing 142 FPS. the first two were through the ribs and the final one hit the shoulder blade at the point where the flat and the "T" meet, right near the ball joint. This is (in my opinion) the largest and thickest bone section in the upper shoulder. I admit that hitting this far forward is not a good place to aim on a live animal but things happen beyond our control. I of course hit this spot with pin point precision on purpose.

[Linked Image]

The rib shots were complete pass throughs but the shoulder shot ended up with just the fletches sticking out entrance side. I know there were no lungs in the deer but they don't offer much in the way of resistance any way. Also consider that this deer was cold and stiff as rigor mortise had set in so I consider all things equal.
[Linked Image]

Right off the bat, I noticed the "S" shaped cuts that Dr. Ashby had spoke about. This was the case on both the entrance and exit holes.

[Linked Image]

*** Word of caution***
When you pull the arrow back out of the deer (through a bone) and you have sharpened your broadheads on the trailing edge as well as the main edge. Make sure to keep your fingers clear even though you need to hold the deer steady while retrieving the arrow.

[Linked Image]

After a brief bit of first aid, I began to skin the deer, I noticed that both of the rib shots had completely missed hitting ribs on both sides. My goal was to break a rib to see the results but I must have used up all my luck..... I mean skill on that shoulder shot.

[Linked Image]

I then removed the shoulder and boned it out.

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/head_test6.jpg[/img]

Just as described by Dr. Ashby, the "S" shaped cut and the bone had split completely being held at the joint end by only some soft fibers.

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/head_test7.jpg[/img]

[img]http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c239/212007154/arrows/head_test8.jpg[/img]

As expected, the single bevel head is a real bone breaker/splitter. I know this is a very small deer but again, I was using a rather low power bow. Take from this what you will but I am even more pleased with the single bevel heads. This sort of thing is not necessary with todays super fast and powerful bows hunting whitetails but for those using traditional archery gear, or those going after large or dangerous game, we are looking for every advantage we can get

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Wow, you've got some mad skills.

I'm amazed! Great work.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The single bevel is very interesting. I know Saxton Pope found
obsidian to cut better than a steel edge but glass is glass and steel is tough, so a better steel point is nice to have with light bows.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You've got some incredible talent! And likely to much time on your hands! wink

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool! Your finished ones look great! I'd like to give that a try sometime just to see if I could make one.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
awesome,sure makes things different when you made it yourself

"How vain it is to sit down to write when you have not stood up to live"
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
way kewl.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
This was not what I was expecting when I clicked on this thread! Fantastic work!

TANSTAAFL
IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Great job!

I'm curious what the finished weight of your arrows is?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I started making my own broadheads back in the 1980's. The first dozen were made double bevel, after that I change to single bevel. I used bandsaw blades from my machine shop 1 1/2" wide .093 thick. I did have a little help from Roger Rothaar getting ferrules from him the same that are used on "Snuffer" broadheads. They were silver soldered to my heads, then oil quenched. Weight is 130 gr. and are called Silver-Tips, several hundred have been sold over the years mostly to collectors. I have never had a failure at a solder joint. I've shot 5 big game animals in one year with the same broadhead, before retiring it, shown in the picture.

Also I make a small game-bird mini broadhead, that works very good on tough flying ringnecks.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Biathlonman
You've got some incredible talent! And likely to much time on your hands! wink

My thoughts exactly!

Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.
D
DIYguy Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I have the same 24 hours in my day as most other folks do.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257 mag, 10Glocks, 222Sako, 163bc, 16Racing, 1badf350, 56 invisible), 2,489 guests, and 1,311 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,674
Posts18,456,096
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.