Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I have the larger single action model of the NAA revolver in .22 magnum and have been using that as my carry gun for several years. I did purchase a Ruger LCP 2 years ago but as it is larger I don't carry it as much.

Had some trouble makers in a car the other day that were pushing things while I was walking in a questionable neighborhood on some business, I ignored them and they must have felt that I was not the person to rob/attack that day. However, I began to wonder if they would have just laughed if I had pulled out such a small gun (toy like?) should they have come after me. Anyone carry the mini-revolvers and do you feel it is enough, at least will prevent someone from attacking just by the sight of it?

I am confident that my NAA with the .22 magnum rounds would even the odds better if I had to pull the trigger, but if I can at least make an attacker back off this would save me time and money.

Last edited by HE112; 04/20/14.
GB1

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Mine has been relegated to my bathrobe pocket, so it gets "carried" a little every day. Years ago (fifteen or twenty years ago) I occasionally carried it as my primary concealed carry gun ... at least for a year or two. Since then, I've only carried (apart from the bathrobe) real guns as primaries. grin

[Linked Image]

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
I wouldn't bet on any handgun intimidating an assailant. Ever.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Put a stinger or 2 in their guts and I bet they'd quit laughing.

MAGA
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
When I was a COP I carried a standard .22 Magnum model (1 5/8" barrel) for decades as a 2nd or 3rd gun and there have certainly been instances where folks have successfully defended themselves with one.

But, with the advent of reliable .380's like the LCP, mine has seen very little use as I can carry one as easily as I carry the other. For example, my little 1 5/8" version weighs just over 6 oz, but the Mini-Master is only 1 oz lighter than my LCP. The smaller gun can be justified under some circumstances but the larger gun just doesn't make sense from a practical standpoint.

As always, this is just one man's opinion.

Last edited by 41magfan; 04/20/14.

The uninitiated are always easily impressed.
NRA Endowment Member
IC B2

H
HE112 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Deflave...true, there is no guarantee of using a handgun, but in the past I have stopped attacks by pulling a knife or gun, people don't want to get hurt. But you get an occasional type that is on drugs, stupid, or don't care. I once slapped my pocket and told a gang of young toughs that I had a pistol, but my pocket was empty, yet they went on their way.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Mine has been relegated to my bathrobe pocket, so it gets "carried" a little every day. Years ago (fifteen or twenty years ago) I occasionally carried it as my primary concealed carry gun ... at least for a year or two. Since then, I've only carried (apart from the bathrobe) real guns as primaries. grin

[Linked Image]

If that dam thing went off in your bath robe pocket you would be lucky if it was accurate enough to hit one of your nuts

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by HE112
Deflave...true, there is no guarantee of using a handgun, but in the past I have stopped attacks by pulling a knife or gun, people don't want to get hurt. But you get an occasional type that is on drugs, stupid, or don't care. I once slapped my pocket and told a gang of young toughs that I had a pistol, but my pocket was empty, yet they went on their way.

Yes. And that is good. But I would not bet on it.

If somebody just spent ten years of their life getting [bleep] in the ass and killing people with sharpened tooth brushes, and that person decides you are his problem, a bluff ain't gonna cut it.

I feel we should all plan accordingly.

Happy Easter,
Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bea175

If that dam thing went off in your bath robe pocket you would be lucky if it was accurate enough to hit one of your nuts
Accurate enough at close range. You can hit a man sized target at seven yards pretty regularly off hand with it.

U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Originally Posted by BillyGoatGruff
Put a stinger or 2 in their guts and I bet they'd quit laughing.
Too bad that you'd be aiming for a head shot...

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
whatever you do don't shoot PMC ammo in one.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
For me that's a little too light in the azz.

I'll continue to roll the dice with a Glock 17.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by HE112
I began to wonder if they would have just laughed if I had pulled out such a small gun (toy like?) should they have come after me.

I think it's a mistake to assume you know how street scum are going to react to seeing you draw a pistol, until you've had more than a couple of years' experience drawing pistols on street scum.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
"Anyone carry the mini-revolvers and do you feel it is enough, at least will prevent someone from attacking just by the sight of it?"

That is about the poorest reason to select a particular handgun for self defense.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I began to wonder if they would have just laughed if I had pulled out such a small gun (toy like?) should they have come after me."

They'd of laughed if they could've seen what your hand(s) were balled up around.

Jerry

Si vis pacem, para bellum
Campfire Ranger
Online Happy
Campfire Ranger
Saw autopsy photos of an acquaintance that got ambushed with one and shot in the side of the head. It worked!

Mike

God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one in 22 mag with the 1 5/8" barrel. Makes a good little snake gun when loaded with rat shot. I will sometimes use it as my CCW but its pretty rare. I mainly use it when nothing else will work.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by ready_on_the_right
Saw autopsy photos of an acquaintance that got ambushed with one and shot in the side of the head. It worked!

Mike

No doubt it will work under those conditions, none at all.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Have one in 22 short chambering. I ONLY carry it for a 2nd or 3rd backup gun.

I consider it my "get the "f*** off me" gun.

Virgil B.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
There are a LOT of other guns I'd carry before those.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
GOD BLESS OUR TROOPS
ESPECIALLY THE SNIPERS!
"Suppose you were an idiot And suppose you were a member of Congress... But I repeat myself."
-Mark Twain
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I guess if you need extreme concealment, undercover cop or similar where it must stay hidden, they make sense. Or if it is just impractical to carry anything bigger. But I question how easy it is to hit anything with one, except maybe the longer barreled versions.

Wasn't there a NAA cartridge a .25 NAA - a .32 ACP necked to .25? It supposedly had better reliability than a rimfire, and better velocity than a .25 ACP.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would not carry one as a primary, but it is a nice addition to an emergency kit because it weighs almost nothing.

[Linked Image]

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I carry mine a lot because its's hot in Texas and they are so easy to conceal.

" It ain't dead.As long as there's one cowboy taking care of one cow,it ain't dead ! "
Monte Walsh
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I have the 22 lr version loaded with CCI Stingers. I shot a porcupine with it once and got bored waiting for it to fall out of the tree.
It would be good if you were going someplace were they don't allow real guns.

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I am having a hard time imagining an attacker backing off because I pull out a mini-revolver.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by bea175

Accurate enough at close range. You can hit a man sized target at seven yards pretty regularly off hand with it.

My brother carried one in his pocket for years . It was the 22 Magnum version. I shot it a few times and decide you had to be at knife fighting range for it to be effective , but it did make a lot of noise .

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They will shoot a heck of a lot better than is given credit here.
That short of a barrel a mag is not much if any advantage.
You can compare ballistics down to 2" here and a NAA is shorter.
I keep mine full of CCI Stingers.

http://www.ballisticsbytheinch.com/22.html

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
they are strictly a contact or near contact last ditch weapon. If you pull this gun in self defense you could not be sure if the antagonist would even recognize it as a legitimate threat.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by jimmyp
they are strictly a contact or near contact last ditch weapon. If you pull this gun in self defense you could not be sure if the antagonist would even recognize it as a legitimate threat.

...oh

5-10-25 yards...not feet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

25 yards rapid fire...14/15 on the plate...

[Linked Image]

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
The Black Widow version is plenty enough accurate, as shown above.

There�s an aftermarket supplier who makes a replacement grip with a pocket clip on it which will keep the revolver very close at hand, literally. Bear in mind it's single action so when properly loaded the hammer rests in a notch between cylinders. In that configuration there isn't much that's safer to carry or faster put into someone�s face a la Anthony Garcia in The Untouchables.

I�m not saying the NAA revolver is the best carry gun in the world; just that it has it�s place.

Last edited by Uriah; 04/23/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't carry a gun for intimidation purposes, but when you point one at someone with purpose, street people seem to recognize the resolve (or lack thereof) and the size of the gun doesn't seem to matter. I've pointed a gun at many dozens of people, some of them visibly armed, and I never had to shoot a single one. Just lucky I guess ...... yea, right.

I use my little NAA routinely as a second to my primary gun when presentation of the main gun could be challenging. In a pants or outer coat pocket, I can stage the little gun while the rest of the world is clueless to the fact that I have a gun in my hand.

I carry it in the pocket of my swim trunks (inside of a ZipLock freezer bag) when I'm at a beach, lake or pool. While my presentation may be a little slow from a plastic bag, it's a damn sight faster than the one left behind.

To be totally honest, my LCP quite readily fills the role of my NAA about 95% of the time, but I don't feel unarmed with either.

I've said this before; I hope the knucklehead that ever chooses me as his victim has bought into all the prevailing internet gun forum drivel about hardware cause I'm gonna be his Huckleberry.

NRA Endowment Member
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by 41magfan
I carry it in the pocket of my swim trunks (inside of a ZipLock freezer bag) when I'm at a beach, lake or pool. While my presentation may be a little slow from a plastic bag, it's a damn sight faster than the one left behind.
A plastic bag to protect a handgun from moisture just sounds so crazy. crazy

laugh Just kidding.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them.
-Thomas Jefferson
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Good thing it is stainless steel!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Boococky

That's too easy .....

I was standing at the Booking Desk in the County Detention facility one time when another Officer brought in a big, buxomy black female for Assault. After the routine question about having any hidden drugs and/or contraband on her she calmly reached inside her bra and proceeded to pull out a .38 Colt revolver with a 6" barrel. After that little incident, I started searching women with a whole different paradigm.

She was "Flashbanging" long before that holster idea was a twinkle in anyone's eye.

NRA Endowment Member
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by RJM

...oh

5-10-25 yards...not feet...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

25 yards rapid fire...14/15 on the plate...

[Linked Image]
javascript:%20void(0)

Bob

sure its the internet, so I am TOTALLY convinced to dump my G19. I mean a thumb cocked, single action, 22 against even a .380...wow.

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
These things are so small I doubt that anybody would notice you pointing it.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

sure its the internet, so I am TOTALLY convinced to dump my G19. I mean a thumb cocked, single action, 22 against even a .380...wow.

Well it's a good thing, then, that no one's forcing you to do that or has even suggested such.

R
RJM Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I do plan on bringing a MiniMaster 4" or the above Black Widow to Idaho fishing this year...loaded with shot for the snakes that like to hang around Mac....

Bob

If you can not deal with reality, reality will deal with you....
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
Several years ago, I had a local cop come into the shop and ask about one as a third gun to tuck into his vest. I pulled out my 4 inch Cold Steel Gunsite folder and told him that I'd rather have that. He laughed until I told him that I was serious.

Last edited by UPhiker; 04/25/14.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If knives were superior weapons, the development of firearms would have never even got so much as a toehold.

NRA Endowment Member
U
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
U
As a "get off me" weapon, I'd take a 4in knife over a tiny, hard to hold, single action 22LR. Not past 3 feet, but rolling around on the ground, yeah.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by UPhiker
As a "get off me" weapon, I'd take a 4in knife over a tiny, hard to hold, single action 22LR. Not past 3 feet, but rolling around on the ground, yeah.
With the right stocks it's not so hard to hold.

[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
What you carry should reflect the value you place on your family and yourself. I agree that anything is better than nothing but choosing a gun for ease of carry is delusional. If forced to work in a gun free environment there are better choices. YMMV.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The choice of where to live plays into that "values/gun" analysis.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (257man, 10gaugeman, 1_deuce, 222Sako, 222ND, 10Glocks, 64 invisible), 2,608 guests, and 1,347 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,671
Posts18,456,012
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.