Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Shoot what you have with confidence.

I do not entertain hypotheticals. The world itself is vexing enough. -- Col. Stonehill
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I'd not fret the Blue Box, or nearly any other 180 grain factory load in 300WM.

I am kinda anxious to try the 190 or 210 LR AB's though.

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
According to Federal's website, the 300 Win Power-Shok ammo does in fact use the 180 Hot Cor bullet.

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by beretzs
I wouldn't be scared of the blue box Federals. I think they are the 180 HotCore which is usually a fairly tough bullet. If it shoots well for you, keep shooting it. Plus, it'll probably save you a little more money for practicing too. Good luck. Hope you slay one!
I've potted a pile of elk with Hot Cores over 30 years, both in the 270 and 300 WSM. It's a good strong bullet and to be honest, I haven't seen much difference in results from Partitions.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by LoneWati
No need to change a thing!!!! Practice and go get em !!!!

+1

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"I am limited to factory loads right now"

Surely within your circle of friends there must be someone who reloads that would agree to help you out with reloading the brass you have on hand.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Hammerdown
My 300 Win. Likes 180 gr Nosler A/B fueled by H1000

Mine does as well. My guns seem to shoot Hornady Interbonds as well or better than the ABs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
My .300 WM likes 180 NBT's and NAB's with RL-22. Those two have the same B.C.'s and POI. I pick the one best suited to the game I'm after.

DF

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Coyote Hunter,

You were very firm about using super-premium bullets for deer in a thread a year or two ago, just in case the angle was a little wrong. So why are blue box Federals OK for elk?

I'm not arguing about bullet placement versus construction, just wondering why you changed your tune.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Is anyone using 200 grain bullets? Does it over an advantage over the 180's?

IC B3

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I don't know if there are advantages you can measure till you know which 180 your comparing to a 200.. I tend to really like the 200's in the 300 magnums, they have the ability to run the 200's in the 2900's pretty easily and with the added BC they seem a little harder hitting further out. Now, saying that, my hunting partner is still shooting a few screw turned 180's his father acquired way back when and kills a few elk every Fall from his old 300 Win. Truly, either one is as good as another if they shoot well for you.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Dirtfarmer
My .300 WM likes 180 NBT's and NAB's with RL-22. Those two have the same B.C.'s and POI. I pick the one best suited to the game I'm after.

DF

I have a great friend in Idaho. Runs the 300 WBY with a 180 BT and a RL22. You couldn't tell him there is a better bullet for elk. I have tried to get him to switch to a PT or AB but he just keeps tipping them over..

Semper Fi
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
The 180 Ballistic Tip is one of the heavy-jacket BT's, or at least it has been for several years now. The heavy-jacket BT's act very similar to Partitions when they hit stuff, penetrating quite well.

The one I have the most experience with is the 200-grain .338, because it had the heavy jacket from the moment it appeared, over 20 years ago. Once put on into the near shoulder of a big gemsbok bull in Namibia, and the bullet broke the shoulder and spine, then went lengthwise through the body, ending up under the hide of the rump on the far side. A bull gemsbok is about the size of a cow elk.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
I have heard great things about that 200BT MD. I know Nosler sells a whole lot of the uncoated 200BST's. I had real good luck with the 200 AB as well in my old 338.

One of the fella's over on Nosler ran the 180 BT's in the water jugs and recovered them at nearly point blank range in the 5th jug. Pretty comparable to a 300 RUM with a 200AB or a 7mm Mag with the 160AB.

Semper Fi
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
All my bull elk have been killed with hand loads.But reports from friends who have used factory ammo is that the factory 180's work well.One pair, a father and son, shot about everything here and in Africa,and the father in India,with various 300 magnums and used only factory ammo.

Gotta figure we have ,collectively,over 100 years of 180 gr-300 magnum "experience" today on BG animals world wide. I would bet the factory ammo makers have learned what it takes to make good game bullets for the 300's.

I'd rather have my hand loads in 300 Winchester but for elk would not worry a whole lot with the choices we have in factory ammo today.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I never understood why someone would pay thousands of dollars to go on a elk hunt and then skimp on the bullet. The bullet does all the kill'n and everyone wants to go cheap.

I am poor/ cheap but after paying $600-$1000 for a elk tag, hundreds of dollars in fuel, time off, etc. I ain't worried about trying to save $50 in bullets.

I know cup and core bullets work most of the time but if a premium bullets makes the difference between a kill and a wound one time in a hunting lifetime it was worth it to me.

Dink

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by DINK
I never understood why someone would pay thousands of dollars to go on a elk hunt and then skimp on the bullet. The bullet does all the kill'n and everyone wants to go cheap.

I am poor/ cheap but after paying $600-$1000 for a elk tag, hundreds of dollars in fuel, time off, etc. I ain't worried about trying to save $50 in bullets.

I know cup and core bullets work most of the time but if a premium bullets makes the difference between a kill and a wound one time in a hunting lifetime it was worth it to me.

Dink

Same thought here. I spend alot of money in fuel, plane tickets, tags and just everything else. Using a 2.00 bullet for hunting seems like a bargain. I can shoot other bullets for practice and generally keep most everything the same once I switch over to a stouter bullet. Nosler's SPS pretty much allows me to use the same bullets for both, but I have a couple of loads when I run less expensive bullets for steel and paper then rezero and practice with the hunting bullets. A 100 premium bullets last awhile since I will probably only shoot 1-2 maybe three while hunting.

Semper Fi
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Like Mule Deer says, the 'hunting' Btip is a tough cup-core bullet.

With the 200 grain .338 bullet I have seen amazing things happen like pernt' near dividing a coyote into two two separate pieces to destroying leg bones, shoulder blades, long sections of spine and vertebra in mature elk and muleys to merely exit.

Don't dismiss plane jane cup/core bullets too easy, Even the fancy ones with colored tips... Being a good shot trumps all bullet designs.

To the OP, the ONLY time I have seen a .300 win mag 'fail' if you so choose to call it would be a fella I was elk hunting with regular factory 150 gr bullets and shot a mature cow elk right at 100 yards threw the on-side ribs. The bullet completely disintegrated inside the elk after hitting a single rib. Good thing was the vitals where disintegrated also and the cow only made it 20 yards and fell over.

happiness is elbow deep in elk guts.
NRA life member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well the main issue you are going to face is finding an elk to shoot, that and getting one out once on the ground. As for Blue Box Federal that gives you 1 inch or so groups off the bench vs 2 inches with the Nosler Partition loads, dose not mean much since your rifle is minute of elk well pass ranges most would be comfortable shooting at. Get off the bench and put out targets at ranges from in real close to has far as you can go were you live. Go for that 1 shot, where you actually hit vs where you aim at. If you can keep that one bullet with in a grapefruit size area, then you are doing really good marksmanship wise and I would be thinking more about what I need to do to take care of the venison so I would have the very best table fare I can get.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

W
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
W
What Bob H. said..

Molon Labe
Page 2 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
166 members (257 mag, 2UP, 10Glocks, 300jimmy, 01Foreman400, 10gaugeman, 15 invisible), 1,468 guests, and 828 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,590
Posts18,397,904
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.