Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I've killed dozens of deer with a .243 over 50+ years of hunting and never found it lacking and never lost a deer. I also hunt with a .260 Rem which, like the .243 and 7mm-08, is based on the .308 case and which has a little more recoil than the .243 but generally less than the 7mm-08. If recoil is a concern, I'd go .243 without hesitation. Both the .260 and 7mm-08 have been available before the ammo crunch in managed recoil loads which would work well for you, but I haven't seen those loads available for months.

GB1

J
JSH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Anybody who thinks caliber trumps placement needs to spend a deer season in a shotgun zone. Plenty of rodeos with a 73 caliber even at close range if you shoot them in the guts.
Bust a shoulder(preferably front)or spine if you need them down fast for sure.
Don't see why a 243 with a good bullet would have any problem doing that.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Palidun
I have both a 243 and a 6MM Remington presently. I have experienced no difference in killing power between these rifles and my 30-06 on deer. Feral hogs are a bit tougher to kill but I take neck, head and spine shots on them and they drop.

I alwyas am curious as to this thing about hogs being tough. I've killed more than a few truckloads over the years and find them no tougher than any deer, and often less tough. Done a lot of them with a 22 pistol while wondering around, over 100 with a bow, and lots with the 223 AR.

Sure the big ones can be somewhat tough, but last one I ran into was about 275, and was popped with a 7x62x39 in an AR at about 70 yards in the shield wiht 125 ballistic tip... made about 50 steps into the brush maybe.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Rost. Just a guess, but maybe hogs are thought to be tougher because their vitals are further for ward than a deer's. So a behind the shoulder can hit the liver instead of the lungs, resulting in a different reaction.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
I have found that lung hits usually start them on a short blind run into the thickest cover they can find. 75 yards into the thorns actually doesn't mean they were harder to kill just harder to recover.

Dog I rescued in January

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I think a lot of this is due to the DRT/bangflop bullshit that exists in todays readily available "cyberspace".

Don't get me wrong, it can be done quite easily, but I'm not a CNS shooter. Strictly heart & lungs for us meat hunters.

A deer hit in the heart / lung area, without breaking at least one shoulder, is always going to run. Sometimes 10 yards, sometimes a 100 + yards, no matter what caliber you are shooting. This can, however, be "somewhat" minimized by the type of projectile used.

Last edited by New_2_99s; 04/14/14. Reason: additions

Paul.

"Kids who grow up hunting, fishing & trapping, do not mug little old Ladies"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I would go 243 all the way. I have never felt like the 243 left anything on the table. My first elk was killed with a 243, and I couldn't even guess how many deer and antelope I've killed with one since then. I probably wouldn't take a 243 elk hunting, but I damn sure wouldn't pass up a shot at a bull just because I happen to be carrying a 243 at the time.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by JSH
Anybody who thinks caliber trumps placement needs to spend a deer season in a shotgun zone. Plenty of rodeos with a 73 caliber even at close range if you shoot them in the guts.
Bust a shoulder(preferably front)or spine if you need them down fast for sure.
Don't see why a 243 with a good bullet would have any problem doing that.

First deer I killed with a 12ga slug (foster type) I had to find the next day. Shot placement admittedly wasn't perfect but I certainly would have felt (at the time) that more blood would be on the ground and a 70lbs field dressed doe wouldn't have went that far.

Karma and Trouble have busses, and there's always an empty seat.
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The .243 is for kids, ladies and girlymen who can't stand the recoil of a real deer rifle.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Started my kids out with reduced 7-08 loads. Would do that again. FWIW IMHO BWDIK and I haven't posted enough pictures.

As said above somewhere, generally speaking, the small calibers are better off in the hands of experienced hunters. The prevailing tendency for them is to make smaller holes--smaller holes may sometimes have consequences...

But not so much that a load of anecdotal evidence won't dismiss

The more you kill, the better you get at it, so no chit, what a surprise--the old farts or rather the more experienced guys, having used the larger calibers figured out the smaller calibers work just as well. No doubt the corollary is just as true, generating geriatric mag enthusiasm.

No less than revelation, that.

Defend the Constitution
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by gunswizard
The .243 is for kids, ladies and girlymen who can't stand the recoil of a real deer rifle.

And they kill more than the macho fools who can't shoot because they flinch too badly

The only disadvantage I see to the 6mm's is often there is no exit wound, and therefore not much of a blood trail

Last edited by Snyper; 04/14/14.

One shot, one kill........ It saves a lot of ammo!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
.243AI (6mm Rem equivalent), 105gr C&C, ~85 yards, deer slightly quartering away, bullet hit just behind near shoulder. Looked like somebody dumped a bucket of blood along the path into the bush.

[Linked Image]

For an all-around bullet- 80gr TTSX. In the SAAMI .243 I've killed a pile of deer with the 85 X/TSX, and I haven't been picky about shot placement. Over the years I've recovered a few bullets. All have been quartering or directly toward or away shots, all have broken at least a humerus or femur, or both, and recovered near the opposite hide. None of those deer went very far, and only in one direction.

Penetration has never been an issue, nor has expansion, terminal effect, or meat damage. Some deer run 100 yards, but that's the case with any cartridge when using lung shots. If you don't want them to run, shoot mid to high in the shoulder with a bullet that won't go to pieces from an impact like that.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Wow, that left a mark!

Jordan, what powders do you use for the 85 TSX and how fast are you shooting those?

Thanks.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Dad and his buddies all used .243s, and they lost some deer, too. I used one a couple of years, with different bullets than they did (they used 80gr. coyote bullets, I used 100gr. PPs) and killed a couple, but I wasn't happy with the results, so I switched to the .270. Still using .270s 35years later.
It's not that they used .243s, or the wrong bullets, but that they didn't practice much, if any, EVER. A box of ammo would last them years.
I got into handloading and shot quite a bit, the .270s seemed to kill quicker, and with more definitive results. Logically, that SHOULD be the case, and so it has been, for me.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Wow, that left a mark!

Jordan, what powders do you use for the 85 TSX and how fast are you shooting those?

Thanks.

I've had really good luck with IMR4350, and IMR4831 has been good, too. In the SAAMI .243 I get 3300 fps, and I get 3485 fps from the 80gr TTSX in the .243AI using 4350.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
This is a long thread so I skipped around a little. I have used both a .243 and .244 to kill deer. One shot I was caught cresting the top of a mountain and had a quick, off hand shot while breathing hard. I hit the deer high, but not through the spine. It still dropped the deer from a ruptured spine. I would call that a "Marginal shot" and had no problem. I dunno, we were killing deer with light rifles long before "Premium bull@#$%" came along. I heard the exact same thing about the .257 Roberts. If recoil is an issue, look around for a 6.5 sporterized Arisaka. They hit hard with 140 grain bullets, and almost no recoil.

K
K
Hi Guys, I am in New Zealand where there is plenty of all year hunting, and plenty of caliber variations to choose from. I am a hunter not a seller of firearms, and I own a large collection of hunting rifles. I used a BSA 243 when I was younger and loved it. 85 gr for open country and 110gr for bush shooting. There is always the potential to slip a shot between the ribs without hitting bone. Doesn't matter what caliber you have, they will run a short distance till they run out of puff. The recoil was un-noticed, but again what ever caliber you have if it fits properly you won't feel much at all. I now shoot with a 30-06 and depending on the size of the game determines where I place the shot. I once shot through a tree branch as thick as your arm and still hit a Red Stag between the eyes with the 30-06. I bought a 7mm08 for my daughter and she hunts with that quite happily, but she did get a bruise when sighting this in. For the wife and younger family I would recommend the 243 with the heavier load to help stop game. But, try different bullet weights before changing your firearm. Happy hunting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Welcome to the 'fire!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by R_H_Clark
I mean where you know for sure a larger caliber would have made a difference. I mean one that had a good shot on it that didn't anchor it quickly. Something that required a lot of tracking or a follow up shot where you could see that a larger caliber would have been better.

I am agonizing between the 243 and 7mm-08. I want a very light recoil since the kids and wife may use this rifle from time to time.

I appreciate any insight into my indecision. Shots would all be under 200 yards.

I'll start off with this, I have a Sako 243 for the purpose of mixed use varmint/deer. In addition, I've killed deer and wild boar with homemade selfbows loosing fixed blade broadheads on wooden shafts. So, I know from first hand experience that deer and boar can be cleanly killed with low recoiling rifles and simple stickbows.

Flip side of coin, I managed kill permits for about a decade when I had quite a bit of trigger time culling deer each year with various weapons to include selfbows, handguns, muzzleloaders, and a number of centerfire rifles. During that time, I made use of most everything from each deer killed. I preferred taking shots through both lungs above the heart while saving the heart for table fare. Of everything I experienced, one stood out for giving me the longest string of highly effective 1-shot kills while maintaining maximum meat yield and keeping the heart intact. That was my bear rifle I had built chambered 375H&H shooting bear loads. It started out I was vetting the rifle getting some trigger time in preparation for bear hunts, but it turned out that this particular chambering proved most reliable for culling deer. If I didn't care about saving rib meat and the heart, there were a number of combinations that would drop deer lightning fast, but the chest cavity would be jellyfied with much bloodshot meat. This was not the case with my bear rifle shooting full loads.

Going back to your question and my 2cents worth of insight:

Yes, there is a difference in terminal performance and total meat yield between certain larger chamberings and something along the lines of a 243 or 7-08, when speaking in terms of shooting through the chest cavity. But, in reality, as good of an experience I had with my bear rifle, it is obnoxious in recoil and added weight for day in and day out carry when the biggest thing you'd shoot would be a whitetail or boar under 300 pounds. I haven't hunted big bears in a number of year and have since retired that particular rifle. I mostly hunt foothills and the mountains, so I generally appreciate trim light non-magnum rifles using a 308 or 30-06 length receiver. Many areas I varmint hunt also present shots on deer which have a legal minimum caliber restriction of .23 or larger. Therefore, I favor the 243 being it is a popular chambering with supplies easily found, it is highly effective on various varmint, and it performs exceedingly well for double duty on whitetail. Within reasonable shot presentations, there should not be great difficulty finding 243 loads to effectively take deer without wanton meat loss.

Why I maintain my 243 vs maintain a 7-08? I personally find the 243 a better choice for varmint, and I don't find the 7-08 to give me enough advantage on deer to give up the 243 on the varmint end. Recoil for either of these are no issue in my case, but if in your case recoil is a factor, when compared to each other, you'd see something close to a 50% increase in recoil going up from a 243 to a 7-08.

In the end, such a choice is yours to make, not mine. Kinda' like boots and backpacks, what works for me may not work for you.

Good Luck with your choice. Selecting a new hunting rifle should be something you find enjoyable, not something you find agonizing. smile

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I've found the 6mm variety lacking many times over the years. Mostly on whitetail, but once on a nice mulie as well. I still use the cal and will continue to do so, but I never expect the results of larger cals while using them.

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

399 members (12344mag, 17CalFan, 160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 163bc, 32 invisible), 2,591 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,285
Posts18,467,804
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.