-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
This may be a stupid question but; is there anyway I can just buy a preference point and not apply for the lottery for bighorns? I'm not ready for the hunt yet, and I just want to build preference points until I am ready to go hunt. I can't seem to find any information regarding this. Granted I know the odds are slim even if you put in for the lottery. But I don't want to apply for the lottery, then by some miracle draw a tag, and not be able to hunt. I just want to buy preference points, is this possible in MT?

Thanks All.

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
GB1

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
To apply for a bonus point you must apply for that particular animal and a specific hunting zone. MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
But does that still mean I'm applying for the actually lottery too? Or am I just getting the bonus point? Are the bonus points transferable among hunting units?

-Matt

"The proof of the whisky is in the drinking, the proof of the rifle is in the shooting."
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by GuideGun
This may be a stupid question but; is there anyway I can just buy a preference point and not apply for the lottery for bighorns? I'm not ready for the hunt yet, and I just want to build preference points until I am ready to go hunt. I can't seem to find any information regarding this. Granted I know the odds are slim even if you put in for the lottery. But I don't want to apply for the lottery, then by some miracle draw a tag, and not be able to hunt. I just want to buy preference points, is this possible in MT?

Thanks All.

My understanding is no.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
As I understand it the points are for then animal not a certain area. And as has been mentioned you have to apply for the tag in order to get the bonus point.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the clarification guys. Guess I'll wait until I'm out of college to start applying.

-Matt

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
If you "plan" on hunting a Montana bighorn ram you should start now. I have been applying since I was in college, 37 years ago, and haven't been drawn.

The system in Montana is not like Colorado's or some other states, where with a certain number of points you're guaranteed a tag. Each year's additional points only provide more chances in the drawing. It's like buying more lottery tickets, not like moving closer to the front of the line.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Thanks for the clarification guys. Guess I'll wait until I'm out of college to start applying.

Bad idea. You can always go to school, but if you draw a Bighorn, I would put school off a semester and go hunting...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Just put in for one of the Breaks tags. You will have less than a .5% chance of drawing. If for some reason the stars align and you draw a tag, skip a semester of school and go hunting. College will still be there next year, another chance at a Breaks Bighorn won't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by shrapnel

Bad idea. You can always go to school, but if you draw a Bighorn, I would put school off a semester and go hunting...

+1... I know a guy who's doing that...grin

Tanner

IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for the insight fellas....you all are most certainly correct. College will be there....the chance at a BC Bighorn would not be if everything aligned.

-Matt

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As a non resident, can you apply for a unit that isn't offering a NR tag? Not exactly sure how it works, but seems like that might be a loophole to do it.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rl11
As a non resident, can you apply for a unit that isn't offering a NR tag? Not exactly sure how it works, but seems like that might be a loophole to do it.
No you cannot. The online application process only lists the units with NR tags available. I just use the Breaks units as my default point accumulating options. Now if I could just figure out similar ones for Mtn Goat and Moose...

M
Campfire Regular
Online Sleepy
Campfire Regular
M
Put in for the breaks unit as prairie goat suggested and go for it. If you draw, which is difficult at best, do the hunt. Your points will accumulate and you will get most of your $$ back. You will not get the application fee returned. OR....you could put in for one of the unlimited areas and go for that hunt. There are draw backs to the unlimited areas. Read the online regulations for these areas. You are a young guy, put in for the points. Go for it! This ain't no dress rehearsal, you go this way but once! And..there ain't no ATM machines in hell! MTG

Vena dura, ocyus occide, excusas non offer!
E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by shrapnel

This^^^^

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

607 members (10ring1, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 007FJ, 58 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,249 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,544
Posts18,453,376
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.