-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
N
OP Offline
N
Is it okay to ask for recommendations about reloading equipment for 220 Swift? I have a Ruger M77 in 220 Swift, and I'm finally retired, so I have time to reload. There are at least a half-dozen reloading press kits, both single- and multi-stage -- any opinion? Great manufacturer of reloading stuff? I like to shoot for accuracy 50, 100, 200 yards (no place to hunt around here). I've reloaded shotgun shells before, but not metal bullets, however, I'm serious about gearing up and starting. I don't want to buy something cheap or junk and then have to upgrade later, so I can spend a few bucks for 'the right stuff'. I'm hoping for a "Swift" reply ;=} but if this is the wrong forum, please just point me to the right door. Thanks.

GB1

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Buy Redding equipment. IMHO there is none better.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Forster Co-Ax is hard to beat.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
If you aren't in a big hurry, there are usually some good deals to be had in the free classifieds here on the site. I've bought most of my reloading stuff, other than powder and primers, here. In fact, I bought my entire starting setup here a few years ago from someone who was getting out of reloading.

BTW, great choice with the Swift. I love mine. Haven't gotten around to reloading for it yet as it came with a good many factory rounds. Too many rifles, too little time. grin

Last edited by TATELAW; 04/20/14.

Those who must raise their voice to get their point across are generally not intelligent enough to do so in any other way.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by NRA_Benefactor
Is it okay to ask for recommendations about reloading equipment for 220 Swift? I have a Ruger M77 in 220 Swift, and I'm finally retired, so I have time to reload. There are at least a half-dozen reloading press kits, both single- and multi-stage -- any opinion? Great manufacturer of reloading stuff? I like to shoot for accuracy 50, 100, 200 yards (no place to hunt around here). I've reloaded shotgun shells before, but not metal bullets, however, I'm serious about gearing up and starting. I don't want to buy something cheap or junk and then have to upgrade later, so I can spend a few bucks for 'the right stuff'. I'm hoping for a "Swift" reply ;=} but if this is the wrong forum, please just point me to the right door. Thanks.

Redding dies.
Press of your choice. No progressives for the Swift
50 grain BK or BT, 52 SMK or Custom Comp, 55 Whatevers.
H-380, AA2700, IMR 4064
Large rifle primers
Load and shoot.

Swifty
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My gear is most RCBS. The press is a Rockchucker and I have a lot of Redding dies in various calibers, though the 220 dies are RCBS. My standard loads are 55 gr Nosler BTs over 38.5 gr of IMR 4064. That load shot tiny groups in the original M77V barrel and in the replacement Douglas barrel. CCI BR2 primers and Norma cases (though I also did well with WW cases).

Last edited by 603Country; 04/21/14.
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
NRA_Benefactor: First off welcome to the Campfire!
Glad to have you aboard.
I have a pair of Ruger 77 Varminters in 220 Swift - love'em.
I am a BIG proponent of buying second hand but in mint condition loading tools and dies - but in your case I recommend you buy a NEW set of dies either R.C.B.S. or Redding.
I just bought a mint condition set of Redding dies for 22 Swift a couple of weeks ago from a gunshop in Missoula, Montana for $20.00!
But I know all the trip-ups and things to look for when buying used dies (as I have been doing so for about 51 years now).
The dies are interchangeable between most all loading presses.
I would buy a single stage press "kit" if possible but they usually don't come with a set of 220 Swift dies.
All of my single stage presses are R.C.B.S. but don't let that steer you away from a money saving deal on a used Redding or other name brand press.
Best of luck to you on your retirement and new venture (metallic cartridge reloading).
And again welcome to the Campfire.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

N
OP Offline
N
Wow, thanks guys! Excellent info for sure. I went to a sporting goods store today and picked up some bullets and primers. I was shocked that they only had 1 brand of powder -- is there something going on with that? I'll try another place tomorrow. I picked up a 'Complete Reloading Manual for the 220 Swift', which has bunches of bullets and powders. I picked up 100 x 40 gr Hornady V-Max for a starting point, so we'll see where that goes. I also got a box of 100 CCI 200 primers. Redding sounds like the company to get stuff from. Their Web site explains that they're made in U.S.A., which I consider important. Campfire pays off in experience, because I'd never heard of them, so thanks for that...

Let's talk Redding then: I have a 30-06 that I'd like to load, and several pistols, for example, .357 Mag, .41 Mag, .44 Mag. If I get the Redding T7 turret (about $260), will I be able to load all those kinds of bullets (just add the proper die sets), or should I stick with the single-stage press? I see a couple of them on eBay, like a Big Boss II $200 and an Ultramag 70000 $329. Any opinions?

About dies: the Lee Web site says that for bullets fired from the same gun, you don't need to worry about resizing the case, so there is a 'neck die' for that. Is that right? I see both 2 and 3-die sets. Which is preferred by Campfire members?

P.S. I don't mind being laughed at for being a newbie...I won't be for long. Any other opinions on this subject will be appreciated.

K
K
NRA, a couple things regarding your last post. The Lee website is correct in a sense. You can neck size only for a bolt gun as long as you are only shooting that brass in that one gun. Neck sizing will work the brass less resulting in longer brass life. After shooting the brass several times that has been neck sized only, you will need to full length size because you will find that the bolt will be really hard to close.

As far as the presses, any of those you listed will do a fine job. And yes any of those presses will load all the calibers mentioned by adding the correct dies and shell holders. The one press I might mention is the Lee Classic Turret. Make sure it is the Classic Turret!! Loading pistols can get real old loading on a single stage. The Classic Turret has an indexing rod the will rotate the turret making for quick work on those pistol loads. It can also be removed for single stage loading while loading your Swift or 06. If that press interest you any have a look at Kempf Gun Shop on the web. They have some pretty decent kits.

N
OP Offline
N
Well, some Campfire gossip says that some new equipment is coming home to roost. After a lot of research, and based mostly on Campfire members, I selected Redding Big Boss II press with Primer collection system; Redding 220 Swift DLX set 3-die series A; Hornady L-N-L auto-charge scale & powder dispenser; some Finnish powder that I can't pronounce; some fine Hornady 40 gr bullets; misc stuff like Redding de-burring tool, case sizing lube, pad, that kind of stuff. I own an ultrasonic cleaner, so I just need to get some fluid for it, and I've got my case cleaner. When I get ready to reload pistol ammo, I'll pick up a T7 turret press, or something like that. I figure that the moths that flew out of my wallet would be attracted to the Campfire...so Thanks for recommendations, Swifties.

IC B3

N
OP Offline
N
Can you talk to me about case trimmers? Are they needed? If so, what brand? I see manual ones for about $80 to $100 and a motor-driven Giraud machine for $450. Any Campfire lore or opinions?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Buy a Wilson and never look back-Muddy

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks Muddy -- WILCO.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
NRA, I always keep an eye out at gun shows for case holders ect, they never wear out and are much cheaper than new. I have had mine since about 1970 and the only thing to wear out is the trimmer cutter but that takes a while and are available from Sinclair unleuss you are really catty about regrinding, I'm not and just ...them up-Muddy

N
OP Offline
N
Thanks. I ordered Wilson Stainless Micrometer Trimmer with Stand, cutter, and a couple of case holders from Brownells. Looks like real nice stuff.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I use a lee zip trim it works fairly well very quick to use and pretty cheap with no measuring use there case gauge and cutters you can also use lyman ezz trim with the zip trim if you get the claw a that goes on it will work for a cartridges to hold them I like it cause its so simple and quick and im not a bench rest shooter so precision is not needed

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

481 members (1OntarioJim, 204guy, 222ND, 10gaugeman, 1Longbow, 17CalFan, 39 invisible), 1,942 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,064
Posts18,463,432
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.