Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by ruraldoc

Where did you get your information about VX6 versus VX7 glass?

Wherever he got it, he's wrong. I'd guess, and it would purely be a guess, that the VX6 and Conquest HD5 would be a neck and neck horserace based on what I've seen with mine.
Well I guess Leupold lied to me then when they told me the VX-6 was not the same glass and the glass for the VX-7 is Schott. the VX-7 was designed to compete with the high end euros. I would also think the VX-6 and Conquest will have similar clarity, light transmission, ect.. But I can not truely say on that one

Last edited by gohip; 03/04/13.
GB1

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
D
I guess the question I'd want answered, how much better is the new Zeiss HD version than the older Conquest?

I have several Conquests and two VX-6's. I would put my VX-6 2-12 ahead of my Conquests. It gives my Z3 4-12x50 BT a serious run and pushes my Z5 3.5-18x44 BT pretty hard.

The new Zeiss HD would have to be pretty good to beat out the VX-6.

IMHO,

DF

Last edited by Dirtfarmer; 03/04/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by gohip

Wherever he got it, he's wrong. I'd guess, and it would purely be a guess, that the VX6 and Conquest HD5 would be a neck and neck horserace based on what I've seen with mine.
Well I guess Leupold lied to me then when they told me the VX-6 was not the same glass and the glass for the VX-7 is Schott. and I did not guess anything or assume anything.

Then Leupold didn't tell you it wasn't as good as the VX7, just that it's different, right? So in your opinion whatever it is can't be as good as schoot glass, right? Just trying to figure out where your coming from. If it's just your opinion, just say so and that's fine.

Dirt, I can say for absolute certainty my VX6 has better glass than my 3.5-10x44 Conquest.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/04/13.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G

Well I guess Leupold lied to me then when they told me the VX-6 was not the same glass and the glass for the VX-7 is Schott. and I did not guess anything or assume anything.

Then Leupold didn't tell you it wasn't as good as the VX7, just that it's different, right? So in your opinion whatever it is can't be as good as schoot glass, right? Just trying to figure out where your coming from. If it's just your opinion, just say so and that's fine.

Dirt, I can say for absolute certainty my VX6 has better glass than my 3.5-10x44 Conquest.
ATTITUDE PROBLEM!! Leupold did tell me the VX-7 glass was higher quality. Don't know why your out to get me when I'm just trying to share information. You just decided to state that I'm wrong no matter where I got my information so I was just informing you where I got it.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Sorry, to the OP, I'll stop arguing with this guy now.

IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It's really no big deal. Sorry if I came across as attacking you. This place is a great source of info, but i get really tired of all the recommendations from the experts around here who've never seen what they recommend. It's amazing.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You two take a step back and chill!

Is the new Conquest HD reticle an etched glass reticle?

JG, please don't jump my schit, I've had a rough day. laugh

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well,I was told something when my wife hosted a Leupold regional meeting that I'm not sure squares with what I've read here.

I was told that Leupold gets their glass from three major suppliers.one German,one Japanese,and one in Singapore.

Furthermore I was also told that they get every level of glass from all three suppliers. In other words they get VX1 glass from all three and VX6 or 7 from all three.

Therefore either my source from Leupold,at a Leupold meeting was wrong or not all VX7 glass came from Germany from Schott.

Not trying to stir anything up,but don't think Leupold intentionally mislead me about this topic.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 03/04/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by yukonal
You two take a step back and chill!

JG, please don't jump my schit, I've had a rough day. laugh

grin grin grin

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Well,I was told something when my wife hosted a Leupold regional meeting that I'm not sure squares with what I've read here.

I was told that Leupold gets their glass from three major suppliers.one German,one Japanese,and one in Singapore.

Furthermore I was also told that they get every level of glass from all three suppliers. In other words they get VX1 glass from all three and VX6 or 7 from all three.

Therefore either my source from Leupold,at a Leupold meeting was wrong or not all VX7 glass came from Germany from Schott.

Not trying to stir anything up,but don't think Leupold intentionally mislead me about this topic.

That could be true. The guy I talked to might not have known everything he was talking about. He did make it a point to tell me the VX-7 was their best glass and that the VX-7 was supposed to compete with the higher end euros. The only scopes I got to compare the VX-7 with in various lighting conditions was a trijicon 3-9x40 and zeiss conquest 3-9x40. They were all very close to my eyes, but the Zeiss was a hair more clear than the trijicon and the VX-7 was so close to the zeiss it took a lot of looking at different things in low light to tell any difference if there was one. I wanna think the VX-7 was a hair brighter in low light, but not for sure.

I would probably handle the new conquest and VX-6 and make my choice by the reticle or if there was something that stood out that I didn't like about one or the other. I've been having a hard time finding VX-6 rifle scopes in the stores to look at though.
I like etched reticles way better than wire so that would be my deciding factor.

IC B3

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J

I don't have a clue where/what their glass sources are. All I know is, when I visited with Leupold's guys, they said the VX6 glass had a different prescription than the VX7 (whatever that means) but they felt it was just as good. I've never seen a VX7 so I can't say. As MD reminds us here, Schott has factories all over the world, including China. I also remember him saying the VX7 tested as bright and clear as any scope he has ever tested, including the euros. I don't remember if the VX6 was the same or very close in his test.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
It's really no big deal. Sorry if I came across as attacking you. This place is a great source of info, but i get really tired of all the recommendations from the experts around here who've never seen what they recommend. It's amazing.
Yeah I get that. Example I can tell you how well a 375 H&H works on whitetail, but I don't know how well it works on bear.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I went back and looked up the optics tests via the Rifle Looney News.

RLN Volume 4, Issue 1 Leupold 2-12x42 VX-6 8
RLN Volume 3, Issue 2 2.5-10x45 Leupold VX-7 8

MD says in RLN (not trying to plagerize MD, just an FYI):

I�ve tested several dozen scopes over the years. So far all have rated between 5 (an uncoated Weaver from the 1950�s) to 8 (a few $1000+ scopes from Le- upold, Schmidt & Bender, Swarovski and Zeiss). Most modern multi-coated variables rate between 6 and 7. The test obviously doesn�t rate color rendition, and isn�t meant to, since individual humans see color differently. Instead it�s meant as an approximate gauge of optical sharpness and brightness.

Last edited by JGRaider; 03/04/13.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The VX7s that I looked at were very close to my Ziess Victory scopes. I haven't looked through a VX6.

My post wasn't really directed at you,but I was told by somebody on the phone at Leupold(that I don't know)that VX6 scopes are optically as good as VX7 but are not exactly the same in terms of coatings etc.

I know that the next scope that I buy will probably be a VX6 because I really like the CDS system that I've been running on a VX3 for the last year. It makes hitting stuff easier for me.

Last edited by ruraldoc; 03/04/13.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
It does for me too doc. I probably won't shoot at game way out there, but the VX6 CDS with it's 20moa of adj per turn lets me have a hellalotta fun out to 900 yards with a 7mag. On a calm day it's easily done. The duplex in the VX6 is perfecto IMO.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by yukonal

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I'm pretty sure they are. Every zeiss from bottom to top I've looked through were etched and it says they have the same reticles as the old conquests (which were all etched). I just like the etched because it always stays dark black where as wire can have a rainbow effect of black to gold when light hits it from behind you.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Thanks-that's what I was looking for. smile

I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The swarovski is 150% more cost than the ones the poster was interested in

Depends which market you are in - in Australia they are only about $150-$200 (10%) apart.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S

I just spent some time speaking with Leupold's canadian distributor. This is exactly what he told me. Essentially word for word. They buy the glass and then re-grade it when it gets to their Oregon plant.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1337Fungi, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 59 invisible), 2,356 guests, and 1,155 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,467
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.