Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Eclipse

I have $5 - $7k to spend on this hunt (maybe a little more). I am bound by my financials. I am looking for some outfitter names that produce respectable Mule deer in that price range. A few names that guys know have good reputations and personal experience. My best bet is Ranching For Wildlife outfitters in the US. I have no preference points and do not intend to get any. That as well will put me in a specific size animal and outfitters. That is also why I am looking into (and leaning more towards) Alberta. For a guy with no prefrence points and $7,000 to spend, Alberta seems to be more realistic option.

Your best bet will be eastern CO or Alberta. You are on the right track. With no preference points(PP) you will have to find an outfitter with landowner vouchers and the system is supposed to change this coming year so here in CO we are a little in the dark until they let us know whats changing. We have landowners with a lot of PP but with the system changing they may be worthless to us.

I wouldn't book a hunt until CO says what the changes are as there are some terrific mule deer and whitetail out here on the plains. Most hunts would fit your budget and DIA is basically on the plains so travel is super easy.

I would look for an outfitter that hunts multiple units, leases a lot of ground and has a track record of killing really big deer. There are only a couple I would recommend and I am happy to share that via PM. I will also post up some pictures of some big plains deer in a bit

BP-B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You might also consider desert (Sonoran) mule deer. There's a lot of opportunity and the price is rather affordable, depending on state or country. Mexico is going to be the most expensive. Texas is probably the cheapest, though trophy quality can be exceptional. Arizona is a safe bet, if you're looking for quality and affordability. There's some awesome Sonoran mule deer bucks in Arizona, that's for sure. Southern California -- east of San Diego County and eat of Riverside Country can sometimes produce some truly humongous desert mule deer bucks, but, finding an outfitter won't be easy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Hell yea Drum. Any of those will work. Lol

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
SNS Outfitters: (307) 266-4229. Although I've not hunted mule deer with SNS, I hunted antelope with them a couple of years ago in WY and it was easily one of the most enjoyable hunts I've ever been on. There were some mule deer hunters in my camp and they bagged some monsters,however. SNS hunts in WY and MT. Highly recommended.

IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Some real toads there....Nice!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
The pics that are posted by Drummond never disappoint

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Originally Posted by huntsonora
landowner vouchers and the system is supposed to change this coming year so here in CO we are a little in the dark until they let us know whats changing. We have landowners with a lot of PP but with the system changing they may be worthless to us.

I wouldn't book a hunt until CO says what the changes are as there are some terrific mule deer and whitetail out here on the plains.

For hunters who already have bonus points, do you feel they will still count in the new system? Also, does drought periods in eastern Colorado or western Kansas have much effect on Mule Deer trophy sizes?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by OceanBlue

For hunters who already have bonus points, do you feel they will still count in the new system? Also, does drought periods in eastern Colorado or western Kansas have much effect on Mule Deer trophy sizes?

I think if anything they will do a point banking system to get guys to start burning a few points. I don't think it will have a huge impact for individuals wanting to hunt the plains

As for the drought, it has had a negative impact and some areas are worse than others. We are still finding and killing some big deer but the drought has made it more difficult. Fortunately for us we hunt some areas that have a lot of irrigated pivots so its not as bad

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by TNsavageman
The pics that are posted by Drummond never disappoint

Thanks guys

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

WOW! What a collection of BEASTS!

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Drummond,
Daaayyhum, some incredible bucks!

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

WWP53D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by test1328
I can't recommend them from personal experience, but an outfit that always impresses me with the size of deer they take is Nontypical Outfitters out of WY. They always seem to take some true monsters every year. Maybe some other folks can tell us more about them?

I've hunted with them for both deer & elk and highly recommend them. They scout and hunt HARD.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Tag

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by joelbiltz
+10 on contacting Huntsonora. You won't regret it.

+100 on Drummond! Best guide I've ever been out with! And one of the nicest guys you'll ever meet!

"Allways speak the truth and you will never have to remember what you said before..." Sam Houston
Texans, "We say Grace, We Say Mam, If You Don't Like it, We Don't Give a Damn!"

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
485 members (1lessdog, 160user, 17CalFan, 222Sako, 007FJ, 1lesfox, 42 invisible), 2,493 guests, and 1,086 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,733
Posts18,400,955
Members73,822
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.