-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Have not used it on a 1911 but I'm diggin' FireClean on my AR and M&P.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
BTW, ATF is a damn good lubricant also. It's highly detergent and will keep things flowing.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by GunGeek
BTW, ATF is a damn good lubricant also. It's highly detergent and will keep things flowing.

It'll keep an M-60 machine gun running like nothing else, along with a dab or two of STP or TW-25 on the lugs and camming surface on the op-rod. Lewis Awerbuck prefers it over all others for small arms, I'm told.

R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
Originally Posted by fisherick
Has anyone used Frog Lube?
My gunsmith loves it. Smells like something you would cook with.

When I bought my Baer, Crazy John said to saturate it in Breakfree. I had some, so I did. I still lube it up pretty good with Breakfree in my shooting sessions with it. Once I get 500 rounds through it, I'll probably back off on the wet level.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
I just use Hoppes gun oil. All my 1911s runs like a top.

IC B2

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by fisherick
Has anyone used Frog Lube?

Yes. It works very well.

Travis

My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by derby_dude

For your information only and no one else's back in the day 12 and 13 year old boy [bleep] was used by gem cutters on laps to polish gems. I wonder how that would work on 1911s? grin

BTW: That is the truth.
Okay, I gotta ask...how in the world do you know that?

Formerly a gemologist and gem cutter. Part of the historical training.

Here's another one back in the day 12 and 13 year old boys were castrated so their voices would not change and they could continue to sing in the boys choir. Learned that one from a boys choir teacher (female) that now has mostly girls. I guess the boys today are afraid they will be castrated. grin I also found out that girls voices change around 12 and 13 too.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing. smile

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I'm sure that's what the gem cutters told you...

Yup and I was a gemologist and gem cutter.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Originally Posted by jcolby
I got my first 1911 awhile back and am needing to break it in. I'm wanting to get a quality lube for the break in process, although my 1911 is probably not quality. It's a Turkish made TISAS, but anyway. Any recommendations on a break in lube and an everyday lube after the break in period?

Slip EWL, Weapon Shield, Breakfree (I prefer the lube to the CLP, but no big deal either way), Wilson's Ultima Lube. Gun Butter, Ballistol, Mobil 1 (or any other good motor oil), etcetera, etcetera.

Consider your weather and environmental conditions, clean the thing on a reasonable basis (that means not just on your birthday and Christmas) and if it's a custom, follow the maker's lubrication recommendations.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I believed grease what slides- plain lithium grease and oil what pivots- Ballistol more often than not. Always wrks fine so, like with too many reload recipes, I figured- Hey its perfect, why not tinker with it!!!
For pistols it's oil for both. For rifles, a very small amount of grease on the bolt locking lugs can be a good thing as long as you remember to clean the locking area inside the receiver periodically.

Grease is good for Garand, M14, M1 Carbine, and Mini 14 slides where the bolt lug head goes into the slide. Otherwise, it's oil most everywhere else.

For firearms, we want oil because oil will carry the debris out of the action, rather than hold it into the action like grease does.

I guess that is kind of what is motivating my change. I never had any problems with grease but after last clean and lube just sort of thought it felt too thick on the slides. I visited Gun Butters site and they must agree. They go to pains to say to use oil , not grease on slides- even though some testimonials swear by the grease for it. Hoping my order arrives tomorrow. Always look forward to testing or trying something new- as I sy, even if what I have been doing hasd been working.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I used white lithium grease & break free for years with success. Today I use corrosion X on all my guns. I use Brian Enos's "Slide Glide" on the rails & lugs.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Last night I degreased and relubed several pistols using gun butter oil this time. On the 1911 in particular there was a definite improvement using only the tiniest amounts of oil. I am already a fan.

The Hoppe's grease is a bit of a disappointment but not its fault really. I assumed it was a lube but it is marked as a protectant for storage and the word lube is not mentioned at all on the packaging. I will use a tiny bit on the rifle lugs but that's it. No way in heck I can conceive of ever using 1/10th of the tube. I spread a tiny it over some exteriror surfaces as well. So I may look for another grease just because I am in a mood to try new things. So far gun butter lived up to the hype. I have not shot it yet but all reviews say it stays put better than you would expect from an oil.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mesabi
I'm sure that's what the gem cutters told you...

ok that made me ROR

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage

For your information only and no one else's back in the day 12 and 13 year old boy [bleep] was used by gem cutters on laps to polish gems. I wonder how that would work on 1911s? grin

BTW: That is the truth.
Okay, I gotta ask...how in the world do you know that?

Formerly a gemologist and gem cutter. Part of the historical training.

Here's another one back in the day 12 and 13 year old boys were castrated so their voices would not change and they could continue to sing in the boys choir. Learned that one from a boys choir teacher (female) that now has mostly girls. I guess the boys today are afraid they will be castrated. grin I also found out that girls voices change around 12 and 13 too.

Now back to our regularly scheduled programing. smile

Yet another window into how that brain was nurtured through development...

Travis

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

620 members (160user, 10Glocks, 1973cb450, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 66 invisible), 2,846 guests, and 1,197 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,257
Posts18,467,069
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.