Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
My husband and I have elk, venison, wild boar, duck, and bear in our freezer. I like to avoid steroids and hormones that are often added to meat that is available at our stores. Mark [safariman] had some backstrap he cooked with meat tenderizer and garlic waiting for me when I came home for my lunch break. It tastes very good, but I am wanting to expand horizons a little and wondered if anyone has a recipe they like for bear meat. Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Well-done to avoid trichinosis.

Spag sauce, meatballs, chili, taco, sausage.

Any stew that calls for beef.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks ironbender ...and well done is the only way to go for me.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ironbender

Bear meat tastes so bad that the only remedy is feed it back to the bears or do like ironbender suggests and hide it in something.

Denny.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Go back to the shortribs thread about three weeks or so and look at my recipe for oxtails/shortribs. Subtitute bear and life will be good. ( just be sure to add some beef bones of some sort ) That or any beef stew recipe that you like will work fine. Also, any chile colorado recipe that calls for beef or pork works great.

Sean
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Good bear meat is tremendous. I have had it many ways but given your stated preferences; almost any moist cooked recipe will work. My absolute best bear meal was a stroganoff served in a Canadian hunting camp. The lodge owner swore it was the best way to fix bear.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Bear meat tastes so bad that the only remedy is feed it back to the bears or do like ironbender suggests and hide it in something.

Denny.

It's not for everyone but I will take it any day over hamburger they sell at the store that has steroids and hormones in it. ..just me.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Go back to the shortribs thread about three weeks or so and look at my recipe for oxtails/shortribs. Subtitute bear and life will be good. ( just be sure to add some beef bones of some sort ) That or any beef stew recipe that you like will work fine. Also, any chile colorado recipe that calls for beef or pork works great.

Thanks Sean. It sounds like you know how to cook. I'm interested in learning how to cook wild game better so it's great to have this forum and share ideas. I cannot remember the last time we purchased meat in a store.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by BlackHunter
Good bear meat is tremendous. I have had it many ways but given your stated preferences; almost any moist cooked recipe will work. My absolute best bear meal was a stroganoff served in a Canadian hunting camp. The lodge owner swore it was the best way to fix bear.

We love stroganoff so I'll give this a try. Thank you!

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by 284LUVR

Denny.

That wasn't the point I was making, but i do know some don't care for it.

The 'sauces' are just another way to cook well done is all.

The bears we've processed have all been great. In fact so good that when I told my sis-in-law that she was eating bear burgers, she wasn't freaked.....sadly! smile

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Spaghetti Sauce that Asphalt Angel made for me last week using Bear Burger, was probably one of the best Spaghetti Sauces she has made for me. On Saturday I think it was, we had bear sausage and eggs and two cheeses all scrambled up together and some hash brown. Just wonderful! She is better at this than she lets on, and the cool thing is that she DOES cook and eat the game I bring home. I fed her flame broiled Elkburgers when we were dating and the fact that she ate them and liked them played a role in my quick admiration of her grin

OK, that was a stretch, I was already double crazy madly in love with her at that point. I would have been trying to get my ring on her finger if all she ate was tofu and bean sprouts! But it sure doesn't hurt anything that we like so many of the same things.

Carry on with the recipe' stuff, I am sure proud of my Asphalt Angel!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
S
sse Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Good bear meat is tremendous.

That would be correct...and the rest of your post causes my mouth to water.

The OP didn't mention the cut of meat, but hunks of bear meat in stew is outstanding, considerably out-classing venison. While back, I made some bear marsala with tenderloin medallions. Delicious.

[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
i have a land owner who loves bear meat. he puts a roast in a crok pot with 1lb of beef burger. cook til its tender enough to pull apart then add a big can of bushes baked beans.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by sse

The OP didn't mention the cut of meat, but hunks of bear meat in stew is outstanding, considerably out-classing venison. While back, I made some bear marsala with tenderloin medallions. Delicious.
Originally Posted by sse

We thought the same about bear vs. venison. ...at least this years venison. The great news from the nutritionist at Cancer Center Treatment of America was bear meat had 3x's the amount the iron that hamburger does. Venison was about the same which is still good nutritionally. It's just more a challenging to get the taste where we want it. Thanks for your suggestion!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by srwshooter
i have a land owner who loves bear meat. he puts a roast in a crok pot with 1lb of beef burger. cook til its tender enough to pull apart then add a big can of bushes baked beans.

This would be very easy to do like on a day off, and have it to eat on for the longer work days. We have a friend who we can purchase grass fed beef from for something like this. Thanks!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I've had bear meat many times and the only way I could stomach it was turning it into swiss steak, but here's my favorite recipe for bear meat.

Take it to your local processor and have him make pepperoni sticks out of it. wink

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Back when I was getting black bears fairly regularly my kids came to prefer bear over beef. Just trim the fat closely and cook like beef. It has a very hearty rich flavor and no gaminess. If Mark brought home the fat you have the basis for the best pastries in the world. Bear lard is at the top !

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr
I've had bear meat many times and the only way I could stomach it was turning it into swiss steak, but here's my favorite recipe for bear meat.

Take it to your local processor and have him make pepperoni sticks out of it. wink

LOL. not a bad idea for Mark, my bro, and his other hunting buddies. I'm more into elk jerky smile

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by 257wby
Back when I was getting black bears fairly regularly my kids came to prefer bear over beef. Just trim the fat closely and cook like beef. It has a very hearty rich flavor and no gaminess. If Mark brought home the fat you have the basis for the best pastries in the world. Bear lard is at the top !

That's what he did yesterday. He used lard, garlic, and meat tenderizer. I had 2 small cuts and it was great. The best thing is I didn't get hungry after that meal for 6 hours.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AkMtnHntr

+1. We had a bunch made out of my son's bear.

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A bear hindquarter makes a good ham. A buddy of mine had one smoked at a processor and it tasted just like ham. I didn't know it was bear until he told me.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've only killed one bear but the meat was awesome !!! My wife also loved it .
For wild game cooking , you may want to look into Eileens cookbooks. I've got " Slice of the Wild " She seems to cover most everything from field to plate . I believe her husband is also a forum member here cool

http://www.riflesandrecipes.com/ind...ry&layout=blog&id=4&Itemid=6

Phil

�The public cannot be too curious concerning the characters of public men.� �Samuel Adams

"All men having power ought to be distrusted to a certain degree." --James Madison
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
A pot roast with instant coffee was one of the better ways that I have cooked it. It's an old Adirondack recipe. I think The recipe came from The NYS Conservationist mag. about 20 yrs. ago or maybe ENCON. Remove all fat.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by asphaltangel
Originally Posted by BlackHunter

We love stroganoff so I'll give this a try. Thank you!

You are most welcome. Posts like yours are the best of the campfire. Much better than the bickering and name calling. Best wishes to you.

SCI Life Member
DAV Life Member
NRA Life Member
North American Hunt Club Life Member

Your true character shows in your conduct

You cannot solve a problem at the same level of awareness that created it - Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Eileen's book is definitely a great reference for wild game prep and care besides the recipes. John was posting a thread about a sale up in Ask the Gunwriters forum a few days or week ago.

Sean
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

612 members (1941USMC, 12344mag, 16penny, 1337Fungi, 10Glocks, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,702 guests, and 1,122 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,306
Posts18,468,127
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.