Print Thread
Hop To
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Any of you guys have a photo of a rear bridge from a Pre-War and a Transition rifle? I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at on a rifle I'm considering buying.
Thanks...

GB1

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Fenton, The rear bridge on the early ones were undrilled, transition guns had rear bridge drilled for scope bases but you still had the 'cloverleaf' tang.Most folks agree the transition guns were the best of both worlds, both metalwork,fit and finish along with better wood. I will research it but the wood must have been leftover 'pre-war' as I have always understood we just about wiped the black walnut wood supply out for war effort.The transition gun I have is very nice I cannot tell it is any nicer than early 50's type III action marked govt 06'. very best WinPoor

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Fenton
Any of you guys have a photo of a rear bridge from a Pre-War and a Transition rifle? I'm trying to figure out what I'm looking at on a rifle I'm considering buying.
Thanks...

Fenton, you asked about this in your other thread. Answer remains the same dude. That rifle was not factory drilled and tapped. Pretty much end of story...

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I don't have a picture, but a pre-war, non-Transition, rifle will not be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge. Additionally, the rear bridge will be slotted for use with stripper clips. The bridge will have a trough running lengthwise with longitudinal grooves at the bottom.

When the factory began drilling and tapping the rear bridge of the Model 70, they changed the entire shape of the bridge eliminating the trough and the clip slot and producing the familiar shape that has been with the Model 70 ever since.

Frankly, I would never buy a Model 70 off the internet without comprehensive pictures of the rifle. With a pre-war, non-Transition rifle there will be four holes: two in the left-side of the rear bridge for a receiver sight and two in the front bridge. On a Transition or post-war action there will be six-holes, two in the rear bridge, two in the front, and two on the side.

Perhaps new designations are needed: "Pre-64 4-hole and Pre-64 6-hole" grin

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Oregon45
I don't have a picture, but a pre-war, non-Transition, rifle will not be drilled and tapped on the rear bridge. Additionally, the rear bridge will be slotted for use with stripper clips. The bridge will have a trough running lengthwise with longitudinal grooves at the bottom.

When the factory began drilling and tapping the rear bridge of the Model 70, they changed the entire shape of the bridge eliminating the trough and the clip slot and producing the familiar shape that has been with the Model 70 ever since.

Frankly, I would never buy a Model 70 off the internet without comprehensive pictures of the rifle. With a pre-war, non-Transition rifle there will be four holes: two in the left-side of the rear bridge for a receiver sight and two in the front bridge. On a Transition or post-war action there will be six-holes, two in the rear bridge, two in the front, and two on the side.

O45, thanks for confirming what I already told him it the other thread he started regarding this issue. I mentioned stripper clip slots etc. etc. He wants a picture so I'll go surf the net to get one I guess:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1428-very-scarce-winchester-pre-war-model-70-carbine-36263/

10 second search..

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

79S Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter
Originally Posted by Oregon45

O45, thanks for confirming what I already told him it the other thread he started regarding this issue. I mentioned stripper clip slots etc. etc. He wants a picture so I'll go surf the net to get one I guess:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1428-very-scarce-winchester-pre-war-model-70-carbine-36263/

10 second search..

Your google fu is strong with you

Originally Posted by Bricktop
Then STFU. The rest of your statement is superflous bullshit with no real bearing on this discussion other than to massage your own ego.

Suckin' on my titties like you wanted me.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ha ha.... laugh

BSA MAGA
F
Fenton Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
F
Thanks for the extra help, sorry to be a pain. It's been fun learning about these model 70 differences. I can see now I should just order a copy of "The Rifleman's Rifle" so I can help myself. I stopped by to look at this gun again yesterday and noticed it has a Tilden safety lever on it. I guess that's good as I intend to put a different scope on it and hunt with it if I buy it. That scope mounting situation is actually my main concern... #1) if the base holes are spaced correctly for a modern scope base, #2) are the tapped holes the right size/pitch, #3) does anyone make a scope base that will sit on the bridges correctly. If I can't mount a modern scope on it then I wouldn't really have a use for it (as a hunter).
The shop is not quite ready to let it go yet. After they learned more about it from me, they'd like a week to confirm what I've taught them with another source which I understand considering the gun seems to be valued at a much lower amount now from the original amount of $1,300.00 that they thought it was worth.
I said I'd probably be interested in it for $600.00 and they seemed to consider that as reasonable so we'll see where that leads when I go back in.
Thanks again for all your help educating me...

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
We've all been in your shoes. There's so much to learn on these model 70's. I don't think I'll ever know all the ins and outs of them. My gunsmith is probably one of the most knowledgeable guys I know on the subject. If you could get the rifle in question for $600.00, you'd probably be doing pretty good. As far as the tilden safety, that was a very common upgrade to allow for scope mounting that it was done quite frequently. In one of your previous post's you said this rifle has a Kollmorgen and stith mount? That will add approx. $150.00 to the value of the package you are looking at. If you could get pics of the rifle you are looking at, we might be able to add a few more suggestions..

BSA MAGA

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

566 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 55 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,241 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.