Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
1B Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Blacktail63,

Those are rare, much in demand and now command very high prices.

1B

Last edited by 1B; 04/27/14.
GB1

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by maddog
I've shot everything from squirrels to elephants with a singleshot. With the exception of two leveraction rifles, all the rest of my long guns a single shots.

Well, if everyone is gonna post pics, here's a few of mine. grin

[Linked Image]

squirrels with a H&R Sportster .22

[Linked Image]

squirrels with a Pardner 20 ga. shotgun

[Linked Image]

deer with a CVA Wolf 50 cal. ML.

[Linked Image]

deer with a .44 mag CVA Scout.

[Linked Image]

cow cape buff with ruger no. 1 375 H&H mag.

[Linked Image]

tuskless cow ele taken with ruger no. 1 375 H&H mag.

maddog

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
maddog, Very nice pics!!

Take your kids and your grand kids huntin' and shootin'.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 1B
Blacktail63,

Those are rare, much in demand and now command very high prices.

1B

1B, yes.

I'd been looking for a long time and was on the trail of a Win LW in 6.5x55. Also hard to find, but at least available.

During that research I was offered the Browning for a good price and couldn't pass it up. I realize how lucky I was and generous the seller was to let it go.

It won't sit idle. I hunt my rigs and this one will be no different - although maybe babied a bit more than the others.

I might still add a #1 to the stable.....

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by boltman
I've been contemplating how long it takes to slip another round in a single-shot vs. clear a jam on a Remington M742 or Winchester M100. For me the time difference is very large. However, I understand some semi-auto users are so very experienced and practiced at it that they might be able to give me a run for the money wink

At one time years ago some pump shooters would claim they used em so they didn't have to wait on the semi to cycle...

I know a good bolt gun shooter can shoot almost as fast as I can with my AR.

I also know that your average weekend warrior, will be slower with a bolt for 2 shots than I am with a #1 for 2 shots. You keep the round handy in your wrist band, and to drop the lever flip one in and close really takes nothing to speak of time wise.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
Single shots are fun to shoot. My 270 H&R is anyway

P
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
P
Hunt with single shots for deer and varmints. Have a pair of No. 1s, a 7x57 and a 45-70, TC 83 with 30=06, 22-250 and 12 ga. barrels and 2 Savage 219s, a 30-30 and a Hornet rechambered to K-Hornet. Pretty much covers the bases from Turkeys to Elk.

Retired Wisconsin Conservation Warden Life Member VFW and NRA.
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
When I think back on it, I can't think of many times when a single-shot rifle would not have been completely adequate.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Maddog - I always enjoy seeing your photos, particularly the photo of your Cape Buff.

A single shot is usually just fine.

Guy

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I used to hunt with my Ruger #1's and a Browning B78. Sice my knee go screwed uo I only hunt one a ranch that has hunts catered to old farts like me. The ranch owner and the outfitter that handles the hunt will not allow single shot rifles. frown
Funny thin is I've done three elk hunts on the place and I've taken home three elk, all one shot kills. I'm pretty friendly with the guide so maybe I just might sneak one of my single loaders along as my back up rifle and try an get away with using it.I am a bit out of practice doing a fast reload but I have until next January to get up to speed. grin cool
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by PJGunner
The ranch owner and the outfitter that handles the hunt will not allow single shot rifles. frown
grin cool Paul B.

That's retarded!

I'd feel more confident with a seasoned hunter that values the "one shot concept" and has the skill and maturity to make that happen..

BT53
"Where do they find young men like this?" Reporter Savidge, Iraq
Elk, it's what's for dinner....

G
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
G
A better question might be, why wouldn't you want a single shot.

How often do you need a second shot.

I don't hunt dangerous game, and where I hunt if the critter ain't DRT, he's very seldom around for a second shot.

So with that, a few that have followed me home........

[Linked Image]

Some CooperClassics

[Linked Image]

Some Merkels

[Linked Image]

A Luxus Model 11

[Linked Image]

A Greener

[Linked Image]

How do you like your Martini?

[Linked Image]

Cousins

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/IMG_1848_zpsf5adfa60.jpg[/img]

More Cousins

[img]http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e129/glenn1221/Rifles/DSCN5959_zpsb1b0ec8e.jpg[/img]

Too much of a good thing?

Best,

GWB

A Kill Artist. When I draw, I draw blood.
H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
I've actually reloaded and killed another deer with an encore, on a mgt hunt, so quickly that they took the truck to a stand nearby that had a guy hunting with a BAR....cuz it couldn't have been that single shot dude.

I'm learning to really love the light/compact/handy aspects of my 358 and 243 encore setups. Looking towards a 7x57 bbl, in lieu of springing for a 1A. Hard to beat for most hunting, IMO.

Recruit Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Looks like I'm in good company then! Some look they even use single shots exclusively. That's neat to see smile

And thanks for posting pics guys. I was going to comment directly on a few but yikes...there are SEVERAL beautiful guns in this thread! It would be difficult narrowing to just one or two.

When I started hunting 12 years ago, my initial logic for a repeater was a no-brainer...whether my own logic or based on what others around me were using, I don't know...probably a combination of the two. However after gaining some hunting experience and an honest evaluation of how many times I've needed a quick follow-up shot, the reality is only once that I can remember.

Agree they shouldn't be the first pick for self-defense. Anything that can shoot or bite back calls for a repeater.

Ain't sayin' my levers, pump and bolt are going anywhere soon but my oh my...how I love the single now smile

H&R 158 Topper 20 gauge--------------------------------------Rossi R357B 357 Magnum
[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
[Linked Image]

dink with a Shiloh

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use a mix of #1's or a bolt action depending on my mood. Even with the bolts, I don't usually have anything in the magazine. Never really had a need.

Sort of why did Slick Willy do so many ladies. Because he could.

1Minute
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Yeah, it's more rifle than I need, but this .375 Number One has become known as "Dad's bear rifle." I kind of like that. Great rifle. Accurate, easy to shoot, reliable. And always unique in camp.

Guy

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Very nice rug there. Color me envious.

1Minute
DMc Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I haven't heard mention that a single shot can be among the shortest, lightest, and most compact of "legal" rifles:

[Linked Image]

DMc

Make Gitmo Great Again!!
Who gave the order to stop counting votes in the swing states on the night of November 3/4, 2020?
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
DITTO!
..couldn't have said it better.

...making America shoot straight again.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

552 members (1OntarioJim, 10gaugemag, 1lessdog, 1234, 1_deuce, 10gaugeman, 64 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,657
Posts18,455,635
Members73,909
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.