Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
AB2506 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
I got around to practicing a bit on the weekend at 200 yards with jury-rigged shooting sticks.

I just bought 3 6ft dowels and tied them together. The lacing kept sliding down, but none the less some practice was accomplished.

I found my vertical hold was steady, but I tended to find the crosshairs wandering side to side. Is this normal? I usually placed my hand in the sticks and gripped my rifle. I did not let the rifle rest on the wood dowels.

I'm thinking I should have padded the sticks and placed the rifle on them resting about the front action screw and then gripped the rifle in front? My grip was normal with my hand resting on sticks - too far forward?

Last edited by AB2506; 04/21/14.
GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I'll bet that your feet were staggered (left foot forward if you're a righty). Stand with your feet in a line perpendicular (or nearly so) to the line of the shot. Have your left hand in the crook of the sticks and your left arm almost completely extended. Hold the rifle butt tightly against your shoulder. All of this should greatly solidify your hold.

Personally, I strongly prefer two sticks instead of three so that I can lean them back towards me.

RS

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
More African hunters miss shot opportunities because of unfamiliarity with shooting off sticks than any other reason. We don't often use shooting sticks here stateside, so we're not used to them. For Africa, that's the only kind of practice that matters.

I too prefer 2 sticks, taking a step backwards and then leaning into the sticks to tighten things up.

J
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
J
Hey Biebs (and anyone else for that matter), quick question on this subject again if you don't mind. I'm what I consider very average off of sticks while standing, and "money" while sitting. Is it possible to get kneeling/sitting shots in Central Namibia (Kowas)? Many of the techniques described here and in another similar thread have helped greatly BTW.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
my sticks almost every day and never leave the house. I set up a short shooting range in the basement (only 7 yards) and use air rifles with pellets. The targets are 1/4" dots on paper, about the size of a house fly. I can practice kneeling, sitting and standing regardless of what the weather is doing outside.

IC B2

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Hey Biebs (and anyone else for that matter), quick question on this subject again if you don't mind. I'm what I consider very average off of sticks while standing, and "money" while sitting. Is it possible to get kneeling/sitting shots in Central Namibia (Kowas)? Many of the techniques described here and in another similar thread have helped greatly BTW.

It has been my experience over several African hunts that you will probably not get any shots from sitting or kneeling positions. All of my shots were off sticks or off hand or over PHs shoulder. Most guys practice on three legged sticks, but my experience on actual hunts is two legged sticks. So you should also practice using two legged sticks.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by Biebs
More African hunters miss shot opportunities because of unfamiliarity with shooting off sticks than any other reason. We don't often use shooting sticks here stateside, so we're not used to them. For Africa, that's the only kind of practice that matters.

I too prefer 2 sticks, taking a step backwards and then leaning into the sticks to tighten things up.

What He Said in spades. 80% of my shots were from 2 legged sticks and the balance were out of a blind, off hand or whatever.

Beware of thieves, scammers and dishonest members on the "Fire" classifieds. Ya there is a thief here too. Whatever!!

They're all around the CampFire and everywhere.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hangmancreek
my sticks almost every day and never leave the house. I set up a short shooting range in the basement (only 7 yards) and use air rifles with pellets. The targets are 1/4" dots on paper, about the size of a house fly. I can practice kneeling, sitting and standing regardless of what the weather is doing outside.

Same as I do, though I have a longer lane. I'll spend an hour a night shooting off sticks with my pellet rifle before going on safari. I can't describe how much it helps, and best thing is the ammo is cheap!

[Linked Image]

Mike

Know fat, know flavor. No fat, no flavor.

I tried going vegan, but then realized it was a big missed steak.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G

Yes, and if I can lean my left shoulder back against a tree or big rock the more steady stick shooting is for me. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
JG, I've hunted Kowas...say Hi to Dani and Ansie for me! You'll have a great time. Kowas is one of the few places where you might actually be able to get sitting shots on most game. It is not very brushy, so you may be OK. Practice anyway, though, as it'll be a requirement for most of Africa, for sure.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by RipSnort
I'll bet that your feet were staggered (left foot forward if you're a righty). Stand with your feet in a line perpendicular (or nearly so) to the line of the shot. Have your left hand in the crook of the sticks and your left arm almost completely extended. Hold the rifle butt tightly against your shoulder. All of this should greatly solidify your hold.

Personally, I strongly prefer two sticks instead of three so that I can lean them back towards me.

Ditto... Get some Bog Pods and practice. I like tripods myself because of my essential tremor. I doubt that you will be shooting at much over 100 yards. When you can keep your shots all on a paper plate, you are good to go. Good luck...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...
E
EdM Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Originally Posted by gunner500

Yes, and if I can lean my left shoulder back against a tree or big rock the more steady stick shooting is for me. wink

Gunner

+1. I have used my PH to lean against and get a dead solid hold. On my last trip to Africa a couple of years ago I shot from sitting more than once.

Conduct is the best proof of character.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Concur, that goes for standing, sitting or knee shooting.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
One thing I learned from reading J.Oconnor was to use any kind of rest you can find, any time you can find it. That said Ive never shot off sticks, but can definitely see the advantages to early practice off sticks.
Ive done pretty much everything else in Africa, offhand,with a rest, sitting,off the PHs shoulder etc�but sticks were just coming into vogue about the time I was tapering off the African hunting.

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
I've noticed over the past decade that sticks are becoming more common just about everywhere there's enough ground cover to prevent sitting/kneeling shots. Have encountered outfitters and local hunters using sticks not just in Africa but Ireland and New Zealand, plus Texas and several other states. They're not just used for shooting but as hiking staffs when hunting rougher country.

Just last week in Texas I killed a cow nilgai about the size of a big mule deer offhand with sticks. The outfitter thought it was 220-250 yards, and I put the bullet right where I wanted to on an almost facing shot. (Dunno what the real range was since the opportunity was very quick, and we for to laser it afterward! But his guess was probably pretty good.) Have made a number of shots like that over the years using sticks, and would never feel confident enough to take the same shot offhand, or even with the rifle resting on somebody's shoulder. (Oh, and while I brought my own sticks, the outfitter had several sets already. But he also guides in Africa.)

Sitting down with sticks and your back against something is almost as steady as shooting off a bench.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Hope you didn't ruin any steaks on that nilgai�. whistle

We will have to have a Tejas BBQ in June,Nilgai, Axis and pig! laugh

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope! I very carefully placed the 286-grain Hornady Interlock from the 9.3x62 jut inside the near (right) shoulder, and it exited the rear of the ribs on the left side. Lost a little meat from the inside of the shoulder, but not much, one of the reasons the 9.3 is highly regarded among meat hunters!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
and your back against something

Even without sticks........a VERY overlooked stable shooting position.

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Nope! I very carefully placed the 286-grain Hornady Interlock from the 9.3x62 jut inside the near (right) shoulder, and it exited the rear of the ribs on the left side. Lost a little meat from the inside of the shoulder, but not much, one of the reasons the 9.3 is highly regarded among meat hunters!
Sounds like you shot her on or about the 'front' shoulder. Kudos. grin

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I seem to remember you doing quite well with a set of sticks and an old British double 303. grin

Not bad for a newby. lol

Gunner

Trump Won!
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

575 members (160user, 10gaugemag, 10Glocks, 1337Fungi, 1234, 11point, 62 invisible), 3,009 guests, and 1,180 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,340
Posts18,468,711
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.