Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#8799688 04/22/14
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I was wondering, do any of you ever consider a hat? I do. I wear a ball cap most of the time. But just recently I bought a brimmed hat. I'm still getting use to it. My wife just rolls her purty eyes. But it seems that certain people can wear a hat and others can't. I like my new hat even if she (and others) may think I look silly . I'll countinue to wear it at the right times like going to camp, and keep my ball cap for work and every day wear. Do any of you have hats for the woods or fishing or whatever?

GOD,COUNTRY,FAMILY,"AMEN"
GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Just a regular ball cap for me. Unless it's really cold.

Last edited by whelenndealin; 04/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if you like the hat, wear the hat....just becomes part of your look after awhile....i picked up a brimmed hat for my Texas trip....dont wear a hat much but ive got my hair cropped short and last thing i want it to sun burn my scalp crazy

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Fedora lounge

Where I live only dills go without headwear.

In cooler weather I wear a Stetson from Bernie Utz, warm weather wear is an Akubra, when walking a cloth hat (giggle hat) is handy as it doesn't allow sweat to roll down over the eyes, a baseball cap is handy when driving.

Beats the heck out of having half your face eaten away by cancer, I saw enough of the old blokes with that when I was a lad in Queensland...and it is not for me!

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
this is what im going with:
[Linked Image]

combined with a Buff bandana to block the sun that gets through....unfortunately im of Norwegian heritage and my blood is awful thick so sweat pours off me and most normal solid style hats just compound the problem....hopefully this blocks enough sun without adding to me heating up

http://buffusa.com/sports

Last edited by rattler; 04/22/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Good choice, and I know what you mean as I sweat like a pig as well.

One of these days I am going to have a look at some straw hats for use in hot weather.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One of these days I am going to have a look at some straw hats for use in hot weather.

A regular straw had makes my head sweat too much. I like the ones similar to the picture Rattler posted except the brim an open weave like the top part. Hard to find this year and I need a new one often. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I bought mine from Cabela's "Eagle's Pass". No mesh, But 3 holes on either side of the crown for venting. It seemed to me like they had a large selection.

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
What's a dill? I concur that a brimmed hat is more functional, but I end up wearing ball caps most of the time.

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by K1500
What's a dill? I concur that a brimmed hat is more functional, but I end up wearing ball caps most of the time.

Meaning of dill.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke
I bought mine from Cabela's "Eagle's Pass". No mesh, But 3 holes on either side of the crown for venting. It seemed to me like they had a large selection.

with me there might aswell be no holes.....not enough air circulation to keep my head cool enough.....but i overheat alot faster than most folks....

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
Thanks for the Aussie slang link, that was fun.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
For what it's worth, I ordered a hat from Sportsmans guide and it should be here next week!

Last edited by Woodsmoke; 04/24/14.

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
When I was younger I wore nothing but seed-corn caps. The sun on my neck and ears never seemed to bother me then while I was out farming. I worked nights for about five years in my late 30s, and somehow I felt the sun a lot more when I was farming during the day. I've taken to wearing straw hats during 'straw hat season' (Memorial day to Labor Day). I get the cheapest imported Mexican straw hats ( about $10) to wear while baling hay and other dirty, dusty jobs around the farm, and throw them away at the end of the summer. I buy better grade straws ($30 and up)for church and business wear, and demote them to farm wear(for less dirty work) after they start getting sweat stained, which is generally about one summer. I've noticed that the sweat stains show up more after the hat has been in the closet over the winter.

I have a similar policy for fur felt hats: Buy a decent quality hat, wear it for church and business wear while it looks presentable, then wear it around the farm as long as it lasts. Good quality fur hats, if taken proper care of, will stay looking good for years, and will last even longer as a work/sport hat when you don't care how it looks. I have a Shepler's 'Dynafelt' fur blend hat that I now wear around the farm that I bought 30 years ago.

One other thing, some biting insects, most notably deer fly, won't come in under a hat brim to land on and bite your ears and the back of your neck.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Woodsmoke
For what it's worth, I ordered a hat from Sportsmans guide and it should be here next week!

thats where i got the one above.....

J
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
J
I worked for 30 years as a teacher and coach. I spent a lot of time outside coaching football and soccer. Part of our responsibilities included maintaining the fields. The game field had to be mowed 3 times a week and practice fields at least twice, so I was out quite a bit even during summers.

When younger I wore a ball cap just to keep the sun out of my eyes. Got older, wiser and afraid of skin cancer and wore a brimmed hat for the last 15 years or so. Went through some cheap ones, but finally bought a Tilley. It wasn't cheap, but I can't wear it out.

Most people don't really want the truth.

They just want constant reassurance that what they believe is the truth.
W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
I have read about the Tilly's, and will probably have one sooner than later.

W
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Just got the hat feom sportsmsns guide. Don't like the look or the fit. Guess it's time to try a tilley.

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I've had a Stetson, medium brimmed hat for over 20 years. Use it hunting and during the winter months. It is a Gun Club series hat and keeps me warm and the sun out of my eyes. I also have a brimmed hat for summer and baseball style hat for yard work. I wouldn't go out without one. Don't worry about what others think about the way it looks on you. If it is comfortable, wear it with pleasure.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I wear a Smithbilt 6X Stetson type, Had it for 44 hears it keeps the rain and sun of and just wont die.
[Linked Image]

BORN to HUNT
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

703 members (01Foreman400, 007FJ, 160user, 163bc, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 63 invisible), 3,147 guests, and 1,358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,581
Posts18,454,119
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.