Yes I did, about eight years ago.
I mailed in back to them.

These premises insured by a Sheltie in Training ,--- and Cooey.o
"May the Good Lord take a likin' to you"
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Yep, about ten years ago. Deep in a canyon in Central Oregon. Mailed it back and they sent me a letter telling when and where it was launched as a thank you.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Yep, found one last year while PD hunting in south central Wyoming.

It had the date and launch site on it and a request to mail it back, so I did.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

L
las Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
L
I did in the Kenai Mts. But it was so old as to be worthless.

The only true cost of having a dog is its death.

IC B2

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I couldn't find any address or instructions on this one anywhere. Didn't look like it had been there too awful long.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I found a few near Reno, NV years ago. The older ones were only data recorders, so they had to be mailed in to add to databases in arrears. Newer ones might be able to send data realtime, so no need to return them...

W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Ah I see. Thanks for the info that would make sense.

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
no but i find those foil birthday balloons in the most remote places imaginable.

My diploma is a DD214
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
I find those Mylar balloons quite a bit too.

IC B3

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"I found a few near Reno, NV years ago. The older ones were only data recorders, so they had to be mailed in to add to databases in arrears. Newer ones might be able to send data realtime, so no need to return them..."

Interesting. I don't think they were data recorders. I started working for the Weather Bureau in 1970 shortly before they changed the name to the National Weather Service And they all were radio transmitting instrument that measure temperature, pressure and humidity. Some also had a brass antenna that received a signal and sent it back to measure slant range. We used those when we expected extremely high upper winds as they would send data over a much longer range. If I had a dollar for ever one of those things I flew, I could buy one hell of a nice custom rifle. I launched them from Winnemeucca Nevada and when deer hunting in the Battle Mountain area, would find where they came down. Those instrumentsm regular and transponder type were rebuildable so people were asked to send them in. It was free.

"I couldn't find any address or instructions on this one anywhere. Didn't look like it had been there too awful long."

That wouldn't surprise me. If it was a small unit basically light cardboard and styrafoam, it would be one of the new type which was disposable. As cheaply as they were made, they actually worked better than the older models.

Once a month we were supposed to fly one and tracking with a theodelite, an instrument similar to a surveryor's transit. Kind of a wild deal as a run could last over 60 minutes and the ballon as high as 60,000 feet or more. Catching the burst of that balloon was quite spectacular as pieces of frozen neoprene shot out in every direction. Never got tired of seeing that happen.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE
W
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
W
Thanks for the info PJGunner.

Here are some pics of it:

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by PJGunner
"I found a few near Reno, NV years ago. The older ones were only data recorders, so they had to be mailed in to add to databases in arrears. Newer ones might be able to send data realtime, so no need to return them..."

Interesting. I don't think they were data recorders. I started working for the Weather Bureau in 1970 shortly before they changed the name to the National Weather Service And they all were radio transmitting instrument that measure temperature, pressure and humidity. Some also had a brass antenna that received a signal and sent it back to measure slant range. We used those when we expected extremely high upper winds as they would send data over a much longer range. If I had a dollar for ever one of those things I flew, I could buy one hell of a nice custom rifle. I launched them from Winnemeucca Nevada and when deer hunting in the Battle Mountain area, would find where they came down. Those instrumentsm regular and transponder type were rebuildable so people were asked to send them in. It was free.

OK , well I just learned more than I knew, for sure... Thanks for the facts! smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I never found a weather balloon, but I saw two go down. One in N. Louisiana, probably 45 years ago. It was a long way off, but you could see the parachute, plain as day.

The second one was in Tx. about 30 yrs ago. I was working on a rig in the Madisonville, Tx. area and several of us saw the parachute. It didnt appear that far away, but we were working and couldnt go investigate.

Found a lot of balloons in the woods, birthday and homecoming balloons the most.

Old Turd- Deplorable- Unrepentant Murderer- Domestic Violent Extremist

Just "Campfire Riffraff and Trash"

This will be my last post! Flave 1/3/21
P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Whelen. That one looks like a later version of the last series I worked with. The insides are quite different. Probably just a more efficient update.
Paul B.

Our forefathers did not politely protest the British.They did not vote them out of office, nor did they impeach the king,march on the capitol or ask permission for their rights. ----------------They just shot them.
MOLON LABE

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

717 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 73 invisible), 3,110 guests, and 1,312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.