Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Rovering
Originally Posted by oldtrapper
The problem with surgeon generals is they don't really affect much. Kind of a figure head.

I would like to see him at HHS.

^^This^^

Or a senator from his state.

I guess he would have to run for the Senate in his home state of Maryland.

I Think Dr. Ben would be perfect in charge of HHS and building an alternate plan to ObamaCare. A healthcare plan that actually works.
He has served at the highest levels in the medical field.

I could also see him as a black conservative VP candidate.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

BP-B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by BOWSINGER
Originally Posted by SBTCO
A work in progress? The same thing could have been said about both Bush's and Romney and McCain, and look where that has left us.

If Carson has plans to run for POTUS he should already have his ducks in a row and full understanding of the constitution and the bill of rights. He'll be swearing an oath to uphold both if he wins. That sorta means something.

I disagree. Your examples are lifetime politicians. Carson seems to have jumped in mostly after he retired last summer. I could not find that he has joined any political party except his �Logic party.�

Recently, SuperPAC RunBenRun has raised over $4 million to get him to change his mind...

Carson spent his life as one of the top neurosurgeons in the country with dozens of awards, including the Presidential Medal of Freedom and several books.
Carson was the first surgeon to successfully separate conjoined twins joined at the head.

I don�t doubt for a minute that his lifelong experience with firearms was dealing mostly with gunshot wounds to the head. Bound to be an influence.

I don't care if he's won the nobel peace prize and saved my child from a life threatening brain injury by gunshot or otherwise. If he hasn't wrapped his head around the 2nd ammend. by this point in his life or understands the reason for it's acknowledgment by the founders, he ain't gettin' my vote.

That's the crux of rights and principles. If you don't stick to em', they don't do you much good.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Once he stated that Assault Rifles could be owned but it would be depending on where you live...his 15 mins of "Conservative" fame should have ended.

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.
Thomas Jefferson

M
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
M
The following is from the last of his article:

"Perhaps instead of getting into our corners and screaming at each other, it is time to engage in intelligent conversation about our desire to preserve the rights granted to American citizens by our Constitution while at the same time ensuring the safety of all of our citizens. The way we treat access to automobiles is a good starting point, although there is no perfect analogy. If we keep our goals in mind and dispose of ideological rhetoric, we can solve this problem."

He has the wrong starting point. I suggest we treat the analysis the same way as we treat access to any other fundamental right protected by the Constitution.

Rather than analogizing to automobiles, I suggest we start comparing the right to possess arms to the right to possess religious literature, such as the Bible or perhaps to political propaganda such as "The Audacity of Hope". Both of these books have been used to create or justify much more harm and suffering than all the firearms ever created.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Dan_Chamberlain
Bow, don't bring logic to the discussion, you'll only dampen the animus.

+ 1! grin

Wonder if the folks quoting old stuff from Carson that he has since changed would like to be held to anything we could dredge up that they said in the past! No changes allowed: if you ever said something we disagree with, stand against the wall so we can shoot you.

A few of us come out of the womb with minds set in concrete on all topics: we know everything and anyone who disagrees with us is totally wrong. There's no need for any thinking. But most humans learn and change and grow with the years. If no one's mind can be changed (nor be trusted if it does change), why do we bother getting our message and the facts of reality out there?

Reagan did not start his career with the same politics he had when he matured.

IC B2

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by Rovering
The problem with surgeon generals is they don't really affect much. Kind of a figure head.

^^This^^

Or a senator from his state.

Both better ideas. wink

Gunner

Trump Won!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"Do you think the Supreme Court was wrong when it found that the Second Amendment guarantees the right to keep arms in Washington, D.C., and Chicago?" Taranto asked.

"I truly believe in Second Amendment rights," Carson said. "I would never advocate anything to interfere with Second Amendment rights; however, I do think we have to be intelligent."
He said his point in saying that was to address situations--like in Detroit--where people with AK-47s are mowing people down.
"We need to engage in a discussion about, 'Is there something we can do?'" Carson said before saying that "we have to keep in mind that law-abiding American citizens absolutely should have gun rights."

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I've listened to the man talk,..and I don't doubt that he's sincere and honorable.

,...and I also believe that there's good reasons for keeping goblins from having firearms.

But he's naive in the sense that he believes that government can be empowered to keep firearms away from goblins without descending down that slippery slope which terminates in all firearm owners being classified as goblins.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
I've listened to the man talk,..and I don't doubt that he's sincere and honorable.

,...and I also believe that there's good reasons for keeping goblins from having firearms.

But he's naive in the sense that he believes that government can be empowered to keep firearms away from goblins without descending down that slippery slope which terminates in all firearm owners being classified as goblins.

My read on the man is that he is asking. Asking for an intelligent discussion, looking for ways to slow down the carnage.

If the good doctor were to ask me�I would explain how the carnage is slowing down.
Numbers are trending down.

I would show how CC has lowered crime rates.
Remind him that the high crime areas he has talked about has the highest gun ownership restrictions.

Ask him to think about one simple fact. How is it that as the flow of weapons from states where it is far easier to own guns, have far lower crime rates than those cities and states where the weapons end up?

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
People get packed in too tight, they get bad/mad. They move out from the city to the country here all the time, build fences, post their land,. They bring their city with them, and their money too.

IC B3

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W

...disarm the gangbangers. sweep THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS, not law abiding citizens homes and apts. that will slow down the killing.

Now, the 1st Amendment freedom of speech and guarantee to speak ones mind is akin to human conscienceness, or thought; your very being. First you have the thot, then you speak it.

AND number two, is in its position for a reason. Its not 4 or 5, its the 2ND Amendment. The right to protect said conscienceness and well being by any means.

THATS what i prefer Carson to say. Then its case closed. And its irrefutable. As it should be

Trump HAD the World, ", Trump saw our children, "
Trump saw a way to make a brighter day so he started giving
There was a choice he was making, he was saving our own lives
Its true he made a brighter day for you and me. --Trump WINS 2016
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Consider the rollback that the govt. handed big tobacco on the first amendment. Or they would still be selling cigarettes to the kids. And when the law changed to no more smoking in restaurants and bars, Oh geezus they was all going under.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by WillARights

...disarm the gangbangers. sweep THEIR NEIGHBORHOODS, not law abiding citizens homes and apts. that will slow down the killing.

Now, the 1st Amendment freedom of speech and guarantee to speak ones mind is akin to human conscienceness, or thought; your very being. First you have the thot, then you speak it.

AND number two, is in its position for a reason. Its not 4 or 5, its the 2ND Amendment. The right to protect said conscienceness and well being by any means.

THAT'S what i prefer Carson to say. Then its case closed. And its irrefutable. As it should be
Great idea!!!! Grow a set of balls, and attack the BAD guys - NOT THE GOOD GUYS! Heck the good guys are easy. That is the reason they go after us. We obey the law, and for the most part, do what we are told. The bad guys say pluck you, and continue on their way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I would rather see HHS disbanded, along with every other unconstitutional cabinet.

"All that the South has ever desired was that the Union, as established by our forefathers, should be preserved, and that the government, as originally organized, should be administered in purity and truth." – Robert E. Lee
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by 700LH

...There you have it. A restriction on semi autos. Nothing more needs to be said.

“Some ideas are so stupid that only intellectuals believe them.”
― G. Orwell

"Why can't men kill big game with the same cartridges women and kids use?"
_Eileen Clarke

"Unjust authority confers no obligation of obedience."
- Alexander Hamilton

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That video is a year or more old. It is also such a stupid illogical unconstitutional statement that I would be surprised and disappointed if Carson would say the same thing today. I am curious what he will say in the next video and will hold my torch from lighting him at the stake meanwhile. laugh

If he still holds the same position, he doesn't get any vote from me. Carson has pulled his head out of the urban operating room and begun to apply his critical thinking to a broad spectrum of issues on a level that is new to him. He's received some tough criticism for his gun statements from last year, and rightly so. He's not running for anything yet. Let's see if he comes around.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...with-the-second-amendment/#ixzz2zcDVzkhK

He seems to be looking to find some happy middle rather than taking a good strong right wing position that I'd like to see. Any one else have any information on his position? He certainly gives a good speech and didn't have a problem offending Obama in a speech he gave. I fear he's another centrist. What say you?

I don't know. His positions seem to be conditional on where one lives or their lifestyle. He also seems like a rational enough man that is likely uneducated about guns and gun ownership. I'd be willing to bet he could be educated on the issue and change his views based on logic.

[Linked Image from i.pinimg.com]

Z
D
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by deerstalker
second amendment, abortion, states rights, immigration, economy.

Great list.

Liberalism is a cancer
Support Christian Family values
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by stevelyn
Originally Posted by Cariboujack
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news...with-the-second-amendment/#ixzz2zcDVzkhK

He seems to be looking to find some happy middle rather than taking a good strong right wing position that I'd like to see. Any one else have any information on his position? He certainly gives a good speech and didn't have a problem offending Obama in a speech he gave. I fear he's another centrist. What say you?

I don't know. His positions seem to be conditional on where one lives or their lifestyle. He also seems like a rational enough man that is likely uneducated about guns and gun ownership. I'd be willing to bet he could be educated on the issue and change his views based on logic.

I still see Dr. Ben as a brilliant man who lived a full life outside of politics.
There are lots of experts who are not anywhere up to speed on matters outside their world.
There are a lot of us gun nuts on Campfire who can�t perform brain surgery.

A lifetime of dealing with gunshot wounds maybe should have given Dr. Ben more to think about.
Guess he is not perfect. Probably can�t walk on water, either.

Now that he has changed gears; as a quick learner, Dr. Ben will spool up very fast.
He has only been in the game about a year. And the healthcare debacle has been at the top of his list.

As it should be. I cannot think of anyone with a better background to play a major role in fixing this mess.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
660 members (1234, 163bc, 06hunter59, 09wingates, 007FJ, 74 invisible), 2,712 guests, and 1,216 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,605
Posts18,398,367
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.