Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Originally Posted by 4ager
That Act would be just as unconstitutional today as it was then. There was also no enforcement mechanism within that Act; it was a paper tiger, at best.

Again, which corporations would be prohibited and which would not be? What prohibitions would apply, to which, and why?
Yes it would, that's why it would require a constitutional amendment to clearly define what a corporation is and is not.

As to which corporations, I'd have to seriously look into that; the devil is in the details. That's why I said in my first post that I would support such a concept but I wanna see the legislation. But it's not my job to know all of the nitty-gritty details; I'm not the law maker.

Restricting freedom of speech is not something I take lightly. The only reason I consider such a thing is because of the situation we have today now that all bets are off (Citizens United and McCutcheon). Here we have a clear cut case where we need to put limits in place because we have completely lost control of the legislative process.

This is EXACTLY the opposite of a situation conservatives would never live with. Where corporations have NO say, and people can just vote in anything they want and take everything away from corporations. That would be a horrible situation. But now we have a situation where the corporations have the ability to form and make law any way they want, taking everything away from the people.

If you believe the former is bad, you HAVE to believe the latter is just as bad.

"Daniel-san; you need balance" - Mr. Miaggi

You can't draw those lines of separation because they don't exist. An Amendment to prevent or infringe upon the rights to assemble, petition the government and of speech would be a repeal of the First Amendment.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
GB1

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
"So?"- Harry Reid 4/20/14

--- CAUGHT IN THE CROSSFIRE --- A Magic Time To Be An Illegal In America---
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That Act would be just as unconstitutional today as it was then. There was also no enforcement mechanism within that Act; it was a paper tiger, at best.

Again, which corporations would be prohibited and which would not be? What prohibitions would apply, to which, and why?
Yes it would, that's why it would require a constitutional amendment to clearly define what a corporation is and is not.

As to which corporations, I'd have to seriously look into that; the devil is in the details. That's why I said in my first post that I would support such a concept but I wanna see the legislation. But it's not my job to know all of the nitty-gritty details; I'm not the law maker.

Restricting freedom of speech is not something I take lightly. The only reason I consider such a thing is because of the situation we have today now that all bets are off (Citizens United and McCutcheon). Here we have a clear cut case where we need to put limits in place because we have completely lost control of the legislative process.

This is EXACTLY the opposite of a situation conservatives would never live with. Where corporations have NO say, and people can just vote in anything they want and take everything away from corporations. That would be a horrible situation. But now we have a situation where the corporations have the ability to form and make law any way they want, taking everything away from the people.

If you believe the former is bad, you HAVE to believe the latter is just as bad.

"Daniel-san; you need balance" - Mr. Miaggi

You can't draw those lines of separation because they don't exist. An Amendment to prevent or infringe upon the rights to assemble, petition the government and of speech would be a repeal of the First Amendment.
Sorry but I just disagree with that; this is totally doable without trashing the constitution. Seriously, we HAVE to do this. The alternative is to surrender the political process to corporations; we can't do that. Again like I said, if the first scenario I pointed out was repugnant, then the second one ought to be just as repugnant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we don't do this, there will be revolution in the US inside of 30 years; mark my words. We will completely eliminate the middle class, and at some point people will take up arms and reset. "The tree of liberty will be refreshed with the blood of patriots".

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show me where you draw those lines, how, and how it is done under the First Amendment.

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by poboy
"So?"- Harry Reid 4/20/14
I don't care who you are; that was funny right there!!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If we don't do this, there will be revolution in the US inside of 30 years; mark my words. We will completely eliminate the middle class, and at some point people will take up arms and reset. "The tree of liberty will be refreshed with the blood of patriots".

Now I will use Harry Reid's quote: "So?"

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Show me where you draw those lines, how, and how it is done under the First Amendment.
That would go awfully deep for an internet forum; seriously.

Regardless of the details, I don't see how you don't see the problem.

Again, if it's repugnant for the people to legislate against corporations anything they want, why is it not repugnant for corporations to legislate anything they want?

We once had a situtation where corporations were not allowed to play politics; that was an unacceptable situation. Now we're bringing about a situation where ONLY corporations can play politics. How do you not recognize that this cannot be allowed?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How many revolutions end up with things being better than they were before? Just because we were lucky the first time, doesn't mean we'll be lucky the second time.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Again, if it's repugnant for the people to legislate against corporations anything they want, why is it not repugnant for corporations to legislate anything they want?

We once had a situtation where corporations were not allowed to play politics; that was an unacceptable situation. Now we're bringing about a situation where ONLY corporations can play politics. How do you not recognize that this cannot be allowed?

Your last paragraph is factually inaccurate.

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

How many revolutions end up with things being better than they were before? Just because we were lucky the first time, doesn't mean we'll be lucky the second time.

And?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Your last paragraph is factually inaccurate.
I'm referring to the time after the Tillman Act. If that is inaccurate, please correct me; I'd be glad to learn something.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And?
Apparently I don't take armed revolution as casually as you do. I kinda like to exhaust all other options before picking up a gun.

Last edited by GunGeek; 04/22/14.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just because it was done doesn't mean it was Constitutional or right. Plessy v. Ferguson and Dred Scott, for example.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
And?
Apparently I don't take armed revolution as casually as you do. I kinda like to exhaust all other options before picking up a gun.

Never said one way or the other, but if that's what comes, then so be it. It only reinforces why Stevens is so very wrong on his premises.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Just because it was done doesn't mean it was Constitutional or right. Plessy v. Ferguson and Dred Scott, for example.
Well sir, I'd have to say we're getting absolutely nowhere. You have your position, I have mine and it doesn't look like either are budging. I say we just agree to respectfully disagree and call it. But I love the points you made, and don't think for a second I didn't consider them.

Last edited by GunGeek; 04/22/14. Reason: typo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fair enough. I never thought I'd change your mind. I had hoped that you could show me how what you wanted done could be done within the bounds of the First Amendment and the US Constitution.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Fair enough. I never thought I'd change your mind. I had hoped that you could show me how what you wanted done could be done within the bounds of the First Amendment and the US Constitution.
I honestly don't know; just know it need to be done. First step is recognizing the problem. Next step is what to do about it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Define the problem, which you have not done, and do so in an addressable format. From there, a solution can be discussed.

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Isn't the operative word here---retired justice?
Hey Stevens---GFY
Stay the hell out of it

Page 3 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (160user, 2500HD, 163bc, 12344mag, 2UP, 27 invisible), 1,868 guests, and 1,028 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,492
Posts18,452,304
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.