Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by ConradCA
Tell me how you know that free speech wasn't intended for corporations? Corporations are just an organization tool for groups of people. Not that much different than unions. How come you don't complain about free speech for unions? Progressive fascists are always manipulating the system to deny their enemies a fair chance to oppose the evil they do. That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.
Clearly you haven't read what I said; but read into what I said to make it fit what you THINK I'm advocating.

Not once have I said that corporations shouldn't have free speech; not once. If you want to further continue the discussion, go back and read what I said, not what you think I'm saying.

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BobinNH
GunGeek: By serendipity, I was not far off base as to what some of our "leaders" have in store for us.

Senator Ed Markey has current proposed legislation pending which would allow government to oversee "hate speech" on various media because of its effect on hate crime...things like the recent Kansas shootings are the result of such hate speech,he thinks.

So the government gets to be the judge of what kind of 1st Amendment expression constitutes "hate speech" and can curtail it....or punish it.....Mmmm.

On the Constitution....Justice Scalia recently said in a speech that the Constitution is not a "living document" that can be twisted around at will.As he said, it's THE LAW....even if it's inconvenient at times.

I agree with him.

I won't go so far as to say the Constitution should never be amended; that's just foolish. But I certainly would never call it a living document; it's our foundation and that foundation really shouldn't move.

I support amendments when issues are completely out of balance, or issues that are being sent to SCOTUS can't be traced back to the constitution; meaning things are just too murky.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Corporations HAVE to have free speech and have to be a part of the political process. To take that away from them just reverses the situation we have now, and just goes from one dumb arse extreme to another.

I'm advocating a constitutional amendment to define corporations since they are now added to free speech. We need to put some limits on the free speech of corporations because the power they hold via their dollars is extremely disproportionate to that of individuals. I'm really amazed that no one here seems to get that.

I want them to have a seat at the table; I just don't want them to OWN the table or have the only seat.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Originally Posted by GunGeek
Not once have I said that corporations shouldn't have free speech; not once. If you want to further continue the discussion, go back and read what I said, not what you think I'm saying.

Yes you did. For example this is one of the things you bemoaned:

When corporations have no restraint in the exercise of free speech in relation to the political process, then they OWN the political process. I want corporations to have a good part in the process, but I don't want them, or ANYONE ELSE owning it.

What was your point in typing that if not to advocate for restraining their speech? That they would restrain their own speech? If so you may want to consider leading by example.

All of that's beside the point, of course, that it's not your place to decide who gets to say what.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.
Unions are corporations.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.
Unions are corporations.

So are nonprofits, and even the smallest community organizations.

Originally Posted by Mannlicher
America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Uriah

When corporations have no restraint in the exercise of free speech in relation to the political process, then they OWN the political process. I want corporations to have a good part in the process, but I don't want them, or ANYONE ELSE owning it.

What was your point in typing that if not to advocate for restraining their speech? That they would restrain their own speech? If so you may want to consider leading by example.

All of that's beside the point, of course, that it's not your place to decide who gets to say what.
You seem to lack discernment. There's a world of difference between restraining and eliminating. I'm advocating placing some monetary limits on corporations. I am NOT advocating taking away all free speech or all political monetary donation. All I'm advocating is leveling the playing field.

Why are you so willing to give up the political process to corporations?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

You seem to lack discernment. There's a world of difference between restraining and eliminating. I'm advocating placing some monetary limits on corporations. I am NOT advocating taking away all free speech or all political monetary donation. All I'm advocating is leveling the playing field.

The First Amendment prevents restraining free speech, freedom of assembly, and the right to petition government. Why are you so willing to pull the teeth of the First Amendment?

America needs to understand that our troops are not 'disposable'. Each represents a family; Fathers, Mothers, Sons, Daughters, Cousins, Uncles, Aunts... Our Citizens are our most valuable treasure; we waste far too many.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by 4ager
The First Amendment prevents restraining free speech, freedom of assembly, and the right to petition government. Why are you so willing to pull the teeth of the First Amendment?
No it doesn't and you know it. ALL rights have some limitations.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U

You seem to lack the ability to be ingenuous. You�re caught red handed but won�t acknowledge it and you speak in vague terms such as, �leveling the playing field�, which is code for restricting speech.

Who are you to tell others what they can�t say? Even if they�re evil corporations sitting in their corporationy buildings doing corporationy things?

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
No it doesn't and you know it. ALL rights have some limitations.

Actually, it does.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, again, which corporations would be restricted, and why? How and why would those distinctions be made, and by whom?

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I think you�re trying to direct this conversation the way YOU want it to go. So let�s clarify.

First ConradCA said: �Tell me how you know that free speech wasn't intended for corporations? Corporations are just an organization tool for groups of people. Not that much different than unions. How come you don't complain about free speech for unions? Progressive fascists are always manipulating the system to deny their enemies a fair chance to oppose the evil they do. That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.�

I clarified with:� Not once have I said that corporations shouldn't have free speech; not once. If you want to further continue the discussion, go back and read what I said, not what you think I'm saying.�

YOU jumped in and said that I was saying corporations shouldn�t have free speech - � Yes you did. For example this is one of the things you bemoaned:

When corporations have no restraint in the exercise of free speech in relation to the political process, then they OWN the political process. I want corporations to have a good part in the process, but I don't want them, or ANYONE ELSE owning it.�

So when you said that, I take it you�re saying I�m calling for corporations to lose their right to free speech altogether; that is NOT what I�m calling for and never have. I have on more occasions caveated my comments by saying that corporations must have a seat at the table�in order for them to have a seat at the table, they must have free speech; I thought that was intuitively obvious.

So next you jump in with: �You seem to lack the ability to be ingenuous. You�re caught red handed but won�t acknowledge it and you speak in vague terms such as, �leveling the playing field�, which is code for restricting speech.

Who are you to tell others what they can�t say? Even if they�re evil corporations sitting in their corporationy buildings doing corporationy things?�

Let�s start with the first part: I�m not caught red handed (or maybe I am) because I have CLEARLY been calling for restrictions on free speech for corporations from the get go; I don�t deny that. Leveling the playing field is a vague term since I haven�t gotten into specific details about how I would craft such legislation; I�m merely pointing out the problem at this point.

Now to your second point: Again, I�m pointing out the problem�Who am I to tell others what they can�t say? I haven�t told anyone anything; try to keep up. This is about recognizing a very serious problem with our legislative and elective system.

In case you missed it, please read this and don�t read INTO it.

Since the Citizens United and McCutcheon cases, corporations now have unlimited free speech in relation to the political process. This is a problem, since corporations can ALWAYS out-spend the individual, and therefore always get their way.

If we had a system where corporations had absolutely NO say, and people could just take whatever they want from corporations; wouldn�t that be horrible? So why is it okay when it�s the other way around?

If one sector (whichever that sector is) completely owns the legislative process; how on earth can that be good for America � Just answer that one question if you will.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
So, again, which corporations would be restricted, and why? How and why would those distinctions be made, and by whom?
At this point all I'm trying to do is to see if anyone can even recognize that there exists a serious problem. I'm not a lawyer and I haven't investigated the specific nuts and bolts.

But like anything else, the fist step is admitting you have a problem.

Apparently people here don't see a problem and are just fine with giving up the political process to one sector...that just baffles me, but whatever.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Seriously, getting into the very specifics of the issue is not something you can do on an internet forum. This is a highly complex issue, and not something that is going to be solved by 10 second sound bytes.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
I think you�re trying to direct this conversation the way YOU want it to go. So let�s clarify.

First ConradCA said: �Tell me how you know that free speech wasn't intended for corporations? Corporations are just an organization tool for groups of people. Not that much different than unions. How come you don't complain about free speech for unions? Progressive fascists are always manipulating the system to deny their enemies a fair chance to oppose the evil they do. That's why free speech is great for unions but has to be denied to corporations.�

I clarified with:� Not once have I said that corporations shouldn't have free speech; not once. If you want to further continue the discussion, go back and read what I said, not what you think I'm saying.�

YOU jumped in and said that I was saying corporations shouldn�t have free speech - � Yes you did. For example this is one of the things you bemoaned:

When corporations have no restraint in the exercise of free speech in relation to the political process, then they OWN the political process. I want corporations to have a good part in the process, but I don't want them, or ANYONE ELSE owning it.�

So when you said that, I take it you�re saying I�m calling for corporations to lose their right to free speech altogether; that is NOT what I�m calling for and never have. I have on more occasions caveated my comments by saying that corporations must have a seat at the table�in order for them to have a seat at the table, they must have free speech; I thought that was intuitively obvious.

So next you jump in with: �You seem to lack the ability to be ingenuous. You�re caught red handed but won�t acknowledge it and you speak in vague terms such as, �leveling the playing field�, which is code for restricting speech.

Who are you to tell others what they can�t say? Even if they�re evil corporations sitting in their corporationy buildings doing corporationy things?�

Let�s start with the first part: I�m not caught red handed (or maybe I am) because I have CLEARLY been calling for restrictions on free speech for corporations from the get go; I don�t deny that. Leveling the playing field is a vague term since I haven�t gotten into specific details about how I would craft such legislation; I�m merely pointing out the problem at this point.

Now to your second point: Again, I�m pointing out the problem�Who am I to tell others what they can�t say? I haven�t told anyone anything; try to keep up. This is about recognizing a very serious problem with our legislative and elective system.

Since the Citizens United and McCutcheon cases, corporations now have unlimited free speech in relation to the political process. This is a problem, since corporations can ALWAYS out-spend the individual, and therefore always get their way.

If we had a system where corporations had absolutely NO say, and people could just take whatever they want from corporations; wouldn�t that be horrible? So why is it okay when it�s the other way around?

If one sector (whichever that sector is) completely owns the legislative process; how on earth can that be good for America � Just answer that one question if you will.

Way too much "who struck John". Condense it please. Better yet, restrict your speech.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Way too much "who struck John". Condense it please. Better yet, restrict your speech.
Just trying to straighten things out.

So would you be willing to answer a question?

Are you okay with one sector owning the entire political process. They determine which laws are made and which fail. They determine who the candidates are; not you. Are you cool with this?

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Your question is based on a flawed premise; no one "owns" the political process.

The only way to allow speech to flourish is to allow it to be free. Allowing someone to control who gets to say what is dictatorial.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Your question is based on a flawed premise; no one "owns" the political process.

The only way to allow speech to flourish is to allow it to be free. Allowing someone to control who gets to say what is dictatorial.
Obviously I disagree.

Let's say you and I disagree on murder; I'm for it, you're against it. And whether or not it becomes legal depends on who has the most money. I'm a corporation and you're an individual. Who do you think will prevail?

My bet is, you won't directly answer the question.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

What you don't get is exactly that system you say is dictatorial is present now...it's just not instantly dictatorial.

If one side has all the money to make all the laws, how is that a flourishing free speech.

And this is all about money.

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1beaver_shooter, 1_deuce, 1OntarioJim, 224th, 222Sako, 204guy, 48 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 1,126 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,069
Posts18,463,518
Members73,923
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.