God, Family, and Country.
NRA Endowment Member

GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
[Linked Image]

Mine is just the 2-door "Sport" - a very basic package. Window cranks, six-speed manual, 3.6 V6. Great little hunting rig! Last fall we carried three whitetail carcasses in the back at once. It's only been through two hunting seasons but has been tasked with lugging a pronghorn, a mulie, four whitetail and a bear. The Jeep is doing pretty well I'd say!

Go drive one. They're a lot of fun, and useful too.

Regards, Guy

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by GuyM
[Linked Image]

Mine is just the 2-door "Sport" - a very basic package. Window cranks, six-speed manual, 3.6 V6. Great little hunting rig! Last fall we carried three whitetail carcasses in the back at once. It's only been through two hunting seasons but has been tasked with lugging a pronghorn, a mulie, four whitetail and a bear. The Jeep is doing pretty well I'd say!

Go drive one. They're a lot of fun, and useful too.

Regards, Guy

Nice Jeep! ... and really cool pic. You folks out west definitely have got the places to play with them and also have the beautiful scenery. I need to run mine out there for some serious play time.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Originally Posted by Wtxj
Originally Posted by calikooknic
Junk
Each
Every
Part

Just
Emty
Every
Pocket

Let me guess, you drive a Chevy-----------

Nope. '73 F100, Hunting buddy has a '94YJ. I haul camp, he drives trails.

I build drive lines and gears for the Jeep guys, they are never done.

OK, I'll go for that.
But I did give up that kind of crawling some time back, so I don't break a lot. Only thing I might get into is the 15" type bench drop off. With the Chrysler height on current Jeeps as you drop off and hit the gas tank skid or bumper on the rear.
The only thing on the AEV model I didn't like is the fact it ran the D 44's with 37's. Not sure that would hold up.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
That is a nice pic. Only thing is I notice the drivers door is near dry land. cool

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B2

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Thanks. My son's friend snapped the photo, and a couple of others. We did quite a few water crossings that day. Yeah, I was kind of skirting around that area to my right, left in the photo. There was a hole over there, and I wasn't sure how deep it was. Didn't think it would be a problem, but who knows?

Same trip:
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I'm not real hard-core about my four-wheeling, but I do enjoy using the Jeep to get me to some nice places to hunt & fish.

Regards, Guy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Owned two jeeps. Spent more time in the fixer-upper position than they did on the trails. It was my experience, that jeep owners wave to each other when they see each other on the road. They're not being friendly. They're commiserating.

The vehicle is priced way over what the purchaser actually gets.

Having said all that, there is this freaking appeal that has me looking every time I see one!

"It's a source of great pride, that when I google my name, I find book titles and not mug shots." Daniel C. Chamberlain
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Mine's a 66 CJ5. No sensors, relays or other electronic crap. I'm quite happy with it...after I fixed all of the other previous owners screw ups, it's a very reliable DD. If something goes wrong, it's easy to figure out the problem & do the repairs in my driveway. I still have a couple things I want to do to it, like add power steering & mount the winch I took off my pickup.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
MiddleFork,

Nice looking CJ5! I currently have a 71 that I am trying to save. We had more than a few CJ's and did the Rubicon every year from 83 to 2003. (Not the paid runs)

Are you still using the Ross steering box?
Which engine?

Mine as it sat in Nov.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Slowly getting some TLC
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Those older CJ's are just too cool! I hope to have one someday. Those are what I originally wanted for my 1st Jeep when I got bit by the bug, but my better-half won out by arguing we needed a 4dr. Mine is not a daily driver though and still hasn't been off-roaded ..... YET. That will change once the newness wears off.

==================================================

I'm a proud member of the BGE cult ... yes, I consider myself an EGGHEAD
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Nice CJ's guys!

I've had really good luck with the Jeeps I've owned, getting great reliability as well as good street & off-pavement performance.

OP - the big 4-door JKU's (JK unlimited, meaning 4-door) really are good at the trails, particularly once they've got a 2.5" lift and a set of good 35" tires.

Buddy of mine has one and wheels it in places I won't take my little two door!

Regards, Guy

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by sactoller
MiddleFork,

Nice looking CJ5! I currently have a 71 that I am trying to save. We had more than a few CJ's and did the Rubicon every year from 83 to 2003. (Not the paid runs)

Which engine?

Thanks for the compliment...Yes, I still have the Ross box but it steers pretty good, even on the freeway doing 65-70. The engine is the Buick 225 Dauntless oddfire & the tranny is a T86 with the guts of a T90...I'd like to put a Ford T18 in it but that will be a longs ways down the road if ever. I have the Warn overdrive in it, which I rebuilt when I did the tranny. I also upgraded both the heater & the master cylinder.

Even though I live only about 75 miles from the Rubicon, I've never been on it, even though I've had four different jeeps. I've never gone out to JUST 4 wheel... grin

Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey Jason. Keep after it until finished. Will be a good hunting Jeep. Just saw you pic after we talked.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by GuyM
Nice CJ's guys!

I've had really good luck with the Jeeps I've owned, getting great reliability as well as good street & off-pavement performance.

OP - the big 4-door JKU's (JK unlimited, meaning 4-door) really are good at the trails, particularly once they've got a 2.5" lift and a set of good 35" tires.

Buddy of mine has one and wheels it in places I won't take my little two door!

Regards, Guy

Thanks for the info. Hoping I can find the one I'm looking for. I found one, but it's black. Not sure I want black.
But if I do find one, put a lift on it and 35's, then I could take the 32's that come on them and pull the 33's off the 98 TJ (33's have sun rot ) and put the 32's on. Giving the 98 to one of my sons that drove it for many years. Possibilities

Last edited by Wtxj; 04/22/14.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RickyBobby
Those older CJ's are just too cool! I hope to have one someday. Those are what I originally wanted for my 1st Jeep when I got bit by the bug, but my better-half won out by arguing we needed a 4dr. Mine is not a daily driver though and still hasn't been off-roaded ..... YET. That will change once the newness wears off.

7 or 8 years ago my son found a 46 willys. Just stopped at the house and ask if they would sell it. They said sure $1,000, he had no money at the time so he said let me ask Dad. I said yes, owner couldn't get it to start and run so he said he would not sell it in that condition. Son said, tell you what I'll give you 600 as is. Guy said ok. We went and picked it up took it home. Son pulled fuel tank, fuel line and replaced, put an electric fuel pump in it. Started right up.
As you said above, they are small or my belly is too big.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've had a 48,46,68,70.

I'd really like to find a cj6.

[Linked Image]
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Middlefork_Miner
MiddleFork,

Which engine?

Thanks for the compliment...Yes, I still have the Ross box but it steers pretty good, even on the freeway doing 65-70. The engine is the Buick 225 Dauntless oddfire & the tranny is a T86 with the guts of a T90...I'd like to put a Ford T18 in it but that will be a longs ways down the road if ever. I have the Warn overdrive in it, which I rebuilt when I did the tranny. I also upgraded both the heater & the master cylinder.

Even though I live only about 75 miles from the Rubicon, I've never been on it, even though I've had four different jeeps. I've never gone out to JUST 4 wheel... grin

The ross is a weak link when off road. Mine also has the 225 great little engine.

Haven't started search for the warn od. Also haven't delved into the transaction yet...that and the steering are next on my list.

[Linked Image]
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I've had a 48,46,68,70.

I'd really like to find a cj6.

Here you go

http://www.ewillys.com/category/cj6/

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Wtxj Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
You guys didn't do a good job talking me out of one.
It's a rubicon, 4 door, with everything, Granite Crystal color. Will pick it up Thursday.

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
wtxj, post a pic, of your new jeep, i might just bite the bullet and buy a new on myself, what the hell its only money and i cant take it with me. rio7

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

203 members (160user, 338reddog, 35, 300jimmy, 12344mag, 2UP, 21 invisible), 1,644 guests, and 889 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,600
Posts18,454,592
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.