Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Here she is. Win Model 70, 300WSM, MPI Ambi-thumbhole stock topped with a 3-9 Conquest. When I got this, it had a very low round count and a plastic stock with no bottom metal. Figured it would be a great rifle to take to the Upper Penninsula to hunt whitetails this year.

Got the parts needed, bottom metal and stock.(I have a 7x57 in one of these as well and love it)Got her bedded last week and painted yesterday.

I have always run Leupolds, but wanted to try a conquest. Good lord, it is bright and clear!

Hoping to shoot it some time this week!

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
LS3, Great looking rig. If you did the webbing too, that is one of the best jobs I've seen. Very nice.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by john843
LS3, Great looking rig. If you did the webbing too, that is one of the best jobs I've seen. Very nice.

Thank you. Yep, I webbed it and applied an ultra flat clear coat as well.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Where in the UP are you hunting?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Great looking rig. I have a ML with a stock similar to that and really like it.

twofish

*Master of random precision*
IC B2

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by BWalker

Near Daggett. A friend of ours gave me the invite.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Really nice!
You'll like the thumbhole stock.

Texas has a 'peninsula'...? blush
Washington has one, for sure...oooh, how embarriskin'...uk-uk-uk!

"Did I mention, I REALLY LIKE GUNS?"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of thumbhole stocks, though I have owned a few. Yours turned out nice. Whats it weigh?

You will love that Conquest. I have been a Leupold and Redfield fanboy for years, but I purchased a Conquest for a 30-06 build back in 2002 and have to say that it is a bit clearer than my VXIIs and every bit as clear, if not more so, than my VXIIIs.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I have VERY limited exposure to the conquest, borrowed on from 7x57 Steve on the pig hunt. From that one experience, Id have to say +1 grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Here is the 7x57 wearing the same stock. My daughter busted her first deer with this rifle!

[Linked Image]

IC B3

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by MIKE HUNT
Really nice!
You'll like the thumbhole stock.

Texas has a 'peninsula'...? blush
Washington has one, for sure...oooh, how embarriskin'...uk-uk-uk!

Michigan! oops!

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by 1Deernut
Very nice. I'm not a huge fan of thumbhole stocks, though I have owned a few. Yours turned out nice. Whats it weigh?

You will love that Conquest. I have been a Leupold and Redfield fanboy for years, but I purchased a Conquest for a 30-06 build back in 2002 and have to say that it is a bit clearer than my VXIIs and every bit as clear, if not more so, than my VXIIIs.

Not sure of the weight. It feels great for laying on a bag for looking across a big field!

I took out my 3.5-10x50 VX3, and at last light, it seemed brighter. I don't know, maybe new scopeitis! wink

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by longshot3
Here is the 7x57 wearing the same stock. My daughter busted her first deer with this rifle!

Couldn't help but notice that VA license plate. I lived in VA most of my life.

Nut

Experience hath shewn, that even under the best forms of government those entrusted with power have, in time, and by slow operations, perverted it into tyranny.

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not sure of the weight. It feels great for laying on a bag for looking across a big field!

More weight the better for that application. I will say that my experience with thumbholes led me to believe they were pretty good for offhand stability as well.

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
How long did it take to get the MPI stock?

I have the same one on a custom Model 7 Rem that I really like. I might like another for a Mod 70 Classic SA project that is in the works.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L

Where abouts? I was in the tidewater area and hunted the eastern shore.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Oxberry
How long did it take to get the MPI stock?

I have the same one on a custom Model 7 Rem that I really like. I might like another for a Mod 70 Classic SA project that is in the works.

Took me about ten minutes. Snagged it from my buddys shop. If you are looking for one, PM me.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Where abouts? I was in the tidewater area and hunted the eastern shore.

I grew up in NoVa (Manassas then Nokesville). Moved to Mechanicsville just East of Richmond in 82. I hunted the Dismal Swamp more than a few days. grin

Nut

Thomas Jefferson

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Funny! I got lost in the Dismal Swamp once. Was not fun!

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Near Daggett. A friend of ours gave me the invite.

Not to rain on your parade, but we have had two terrible winters in a row now. There is still several feet of snow on the woods as I type this. Your hunting might be very tough this fall.
Daggett is about 60 miles south of me and they get much less snow than us, but they got hit pretty good this year. Also done expect a huge UP deer as they are mostly long gone. If it cracks 200lbs its a huge deer for that area.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Yeah, I know. I talked to the landowner a couple of days ago. He is usually planting by now and probably wont be starting for 3 more weeks(hopefully). He said that the winter kill might be bad. Don't know. If there are no deer, I'll shoot all the coyotes he has been complaining about! It will be a fun trip nonetheless.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
You will see some deer, but buck numbers will be way down as they were this year. We lose alot of bucks during the winter due to the rut wearing them down and the inability to pack on lost weight prior to winter setting in.
Coyote hunting is excellent in that area. Lots of wolves to from what I understand.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great looking rifle! I'm not much for the WSMs though. Would rather have it in 308 Win, especially for hunting the UP.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Dagget has some ag fields where a 300 wsm may come in handy.

L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Dagget has some ag fields where a 300 wsm may come in handy.

I'll be hunting primarily on corn fields(if the snow melts in enough time to get them planted)! 😁 The landowner plants his crop just for deer hunting. I foolishly sold my first 300WSM a couple years ago to a buddy that "had to have it". It was deadly on deer, out to 500 in Virginia bean fields.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

719 members (1936M71, 160user, 007FJ, 01Foreman400, 163dm, 19rabbit52, 72 invisible), 3,096 guests, and 1,337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,582
Posts18,454,167
Members73,908
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.