Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

If anybody here has dreams of spending his child's college fund on a dream climb to the top of Everest, you might want to book sooner rather than later.

Sherpas are starting to get mightily pissed off at doing all the work, taking most of the risks, and getting killed - for peanuts.

http://www.newyorker.com/online/blogs/newsdesk/2014/04/everest-sherpas-death-and-anger.html

16 of them got killed by falling ice on the Khumbu Icefall last week. Not too long ago, there was a well-publicized fistfight between a couple of sherpas and a couple of Europeans.

They're getting cranky and tired of being treated like draft animals by rich white people, and I guess I can't blame them. They want more money for hauling our toilet paper and granola up the mountain and breaking trail for our sorry asses.

GB1

E
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
E
Better to get pissed off than to fall off.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time by the blood of patriots and tyrants.

If being stupid allows me to believe in Him, I'd wish to be a retard. Eisenhower and G Washington should be good company.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's a free market, and as best I can tell; they're holding all the cards. If they organize properly, they can force the issue. If not, then it will go to the lowest bidder.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Another good article on the subject

The Value of a Sherpa Life

Carpe' Scrotum
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by tjm10025

They're getting cranky and tired of being treated like draft animals by rich white people, and I guess I can't blame them. They want more money for hauling our toilet paper and granola up the mountain and breaking trail for our sorry asses.

I guess I'd feel guilty if they were breaking trail for my sorry ass.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
They're welcome to price themselves out of the market and go back to farming in that beautiful tropical paradise.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The families were offered $400 as compensation for their deaths. Frankly, I think the climbing companies should pony up $10,000 a piece as those families lost their breadwinners.

"And for the support of this Declaration, with a firm reliance on the protection of divine Providence, we mutually pledge to each other our Lives, our Fortunes and our sacred Honor."

[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They sherpas do all of the work, which is a tremendous amount under dangerous and difficult circumstances...and they spend a great deal of time on the most dangerous parts of the mountain in order to get it done. The climbers are paying up to $90,000 each for their Everest attempt, and the Nepali government charges $10,000 per climber just for a permit. The sherpas make very little for the amount of money that is being spent and made by others on Everest, and for the work that they do.
None of the climbing activity on Everest would be possible without the sherpas...and none of the money being made on Everest would be possible without the sherpas.

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
The sherpas should hire the NFL players union. However if they do that they will have to hire consultants to teach them obnoxious and felonious behaviour. The profitable part of the Everest climbing industry would disappear w/out the sherpas as most of the guided are incompetent.

mike r

Don't wish it were easier
Wish you were better

Stab them in the taint, you can't put a tourniquet on that.
Craig Douglas ECQC
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I would think that one trip up one of those hills carrying their own gear would change anyone's mind on how much the porters should be payed.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
heard on the news the average salary for sherpa not climbing the mountain is like $400 a year. The mountain guides can make $5000 in 3 months.

have you paid your dues, can you moan the blues, can you bend them guitar strings
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Put a 5 year moratorium on the mountain. That would dampen some of the yuppie enthusiasm for the reckless stunt, and the Sherpas would get a taste of reality, at $400 per year.

I fellow I know almost had his brother die on the ill fated Everest expedition that became "Into thin Air". Beck Weathers damn near died and lost some fingers and toes. Last I heard, has some permanent disability of some sort to this day.

Beck Weathers:

[Linked Image]

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by GunGeek
If they organize properly

International Brotherhood of Sherpas ?

Denny

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Personally I think they should shut down the whole mountain. At least until the climbing companies go up there and cart down all of their darn garbage. Shameful the trash they've left up there.

Stupidity is expensive
If you find yourself in a fair fight, your tactics suck!
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Spoiled ass [bleep]' sherpas.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Originally Posted by hatari

[Linked Image]

Looks like loads of fun.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Like a bunch of friggin bleeding heart liberals on here. The sherpas should make more! And the fast food workers!

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T

Isn't Weathers the guy who was left sitting on a snow bank for hours because everybody who looked at him was certain he was already dead?

Originally Posted by hatari

I fellow I know almost had his brother die on the ill fated Everest expedition that became "Into thin Air". Beck Weathers damn near died and lost some fingers and toes. Last I heard, has some permanent disability of some sort to this day.

Beck Weathers:

[Linked Image]

T
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
Like a bunch of friggin bleeding heart liberals on here. The sherpas should make more! And the fast food workers!

You can mock, or you can get in on the ground floor of a unique business opportunity. Bangladeshi sherpas. They're slow, but they work cheap and don't complain.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
UNIONIZE!!!

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

545 members (1337Fungi, 1beaver_shooter, 1minute, 1Longbow, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 60 invisible), 2,349 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,323
Posts18,468,478
Members73,928
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.