Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
17 years for me.
No emails by now surely means nothing drawn.

Hey Chip,
My phone ate your number. Call me this weekend.
Im in Odessa right now. Leaving for home tomorrow.

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
How do you guys go so long without drawing, at least as residents.

Do you guys study the application statistics to try to make it work for you? One of the things i've found for people that don't understand the draw is that they try to apply for 3 different awesome hunts with incredibly low draw odds. With the way NM's drawing works, this isn't logical.

There's no sense in putting down-
#1-Valle Videl 1st rifle Bull
#2-16D 1st Rifle Bull
#3-15 3rd Archery ES

This kind of application is kind of a waste of 2 spots in my opinion. Instead make your first choice a awesome hunt with low draw odds, make the second choice a decent unit with ok success rates and make your third choice for something like a Dec cow tag or a 5B bull tag.

This kind of application mindset has made me successful in drawing a elk tag, even some of them were 'not good' units, almost every year. I'd rather be hunting for elk in a crappy unit like 5B or chasing cow elk around unit 9 or 15 than sitting at home.

BTW- I'm just trying to add some insight here. Not trying to insult anyones intelligence.

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I am not even putting in for Valle Vidal, Gila, or Sargeants. I am studying odds that give me best chance, especially for antelope, deer, etc.. I put in for 2b for deer, but my #1 choice was best odds by a mile.

Oh well, I still have the Colorado draw in a week.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I won't be sitting home!
It's war on ducks and geese!

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
No luck here.

Time to start looking for landowner tags.

IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Just nabbed a late season cow tag... Gotta at least fill the freezer!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Huntr
I am not even putting in for Valle Vidal, Gila, or Sargeants. I am studying odds that give me best chance, especially for antelope, deer, etc.. I put in for 2b for deer, but my #1 choice was best odds by a mile.

Oh well, I still have the Colorado draw in a week.

You CAN do that stuff with deer too, but i never put down the crappy tags for those guys. There are almost always some left over tags that you can pick up if you get desperate. I won't waste the fuel to go on a wild goose chase somewhere for some of the less successful deer units.

Last edited by jmgraham1986; 04/23/14. Reason: grammer

Lifetime member: Backcountry Hunters and Anglers & Wild Sheep Foundation
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No luck in the Gila

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

Do you guys study the application statistics to try to make it work for you? One of the things i've found for people that don't understand the draw is that they try to apply for 3 different awesome hunts with incredibly low draw odds. With the way NM's drawing works, this isn't logical.

#2-16D 1st Rifle Bull
#3-15 3rd Archery ES

This kind of application is kind of a waste of 2 spots in my opinion. Instead make your first choice a awesome hunt with low draw odds, make the second choice a decent unit with ok success rates and make your third choice for something like a Dec cow tag or a 5B bull tag.

This kind of application mindset has made me successful in drawing a elk tag, even some of them were 'not good' units, almost every year. I'd rather be hunting for elk in a crappy unit like 5B or chasing cow elk around unit 9 or 15 than sitting at home.

BTW- I'm just trying to add some insight here. Not trying to insult anyones intelligence.

I used to think like you are saying, but when you get your third or 4th choice in a worthless area with no animals, it's a complete waste of time. Rather just hunt coyotes...

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
0/7 years running now on elk.

IC B3

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
I drew unit 33 archery mule deer and a Barbary tag. No elk

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S
Unit 53 first rifle bull and Burros mountains Coues tags...pretty good year.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Big goose egg here again.....

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Goose egg for me too,no cow elk tag again. frown

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
L
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
L
Archery Ibex for me! My wife got 36 rifle Elk and 17 Sept. Archery Deer!

Joe Troyer
Lil Joe's Big Game Hunting

(575) 707 3727
3056 N. Chaparral
Socorro, NM 87801

liljoesbiggamehunts.com
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
No E-Mail for me either.

NRA - Life Member
GOA - Life Member
S
SLM Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
S
Originally Posted by LJBGH
Archery Ibex for me! My wife got 36 rifle Elk and 17 Sept. Archery Deer!

Congrats.

E
Campfire Oracle
Online Content
Campfire Oracle
E
Congrats to you SLM for your Antelope tag.

Congrats to all who drew tags. smile

Life Member SCI
Life Member DSC
Member New Mexico Shooting Sports Association

Take your responsibilities seriously, never yourself-Ken Howell

Proper bullet placement + sufficient penetration = quick, clean kill. Finn Aagard

Ken
P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by jmgraham1986

#2-16D 1st Rifle Bull
#3-15 3rd Archery ES

I probably shouldn't let this out, but I've taken three 300+ 6x6 bulls out of 5b, two more in the 270-280 range, and several raghorns. So don't bother applying for this crappy unit. grin

Also, I've been told that your 3rd choice is weighted exactly the same in the system as your first choice. In other words, the odds of drawing a decent hunt with your third choice are just as good as with your first or second. Maybe that's true, maybe it isn't.

Personally, I've gotten to the point where I'd rather stay home as opposed to hunting in a non-productive area in this state (and there's a number of those), particularly for deer. You'd be inclined to take any old elk tag, but the deer hunting in NM has deteriorated over the last 20 years to the point where it's not worth the effort and expense unless you can draw something decent.

Last edited by PrimeBeef; 04/24/14.
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

592 members (12344mag, 163bc, 1lessdog, 16penny, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 62 invisible), 2,072 guests, and 1,131 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,198
Posts18,465,952
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.