24hourcampfire.com
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
And, they all shot nice small groups, too.

My Browning 22 Lever action with Burris mini 2-7 gloss put ten rounds into a single ragged hole dead center on the 25 yard target, then after only one fouling/get the preservative oil out shot each, my Sako action 222 and 223 both put three shot triangle shaped groups into about 1/2 inch each exactly 1.5 inches high at 100 yards. PERFECT! and rewarding. Wood stocked guns, with really pretty wood at that, can and do shoot well and remain consistent if they are properly seasoned and dry wood to begin with, glass bedded to the action, free floated properly in the barrel channel, and well finished and sealed.

Always rewarding when these old war horses (Riihimaki and L-461) shoot perfectly at the beginning of the year. I use Moly coated bullets and have not done a thourough cleaning on either in many years. Doesn't look like I will clean them this year, either.

When varmint shooting times is winding down and I am getting ready for big game and ducks etc. I run a boresnake through them, then a wet patch with some Break Free CLP on it to preserve the barrels for the year and put them away at the back of the gun safe until the following spring.

I should have been shooting thiese rifles and blasting gophers by now, but have been busy with health issues, hospital stays etc. Now, however, it is time to go and kill some stuff!

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
BP-B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Safariman: Good for you on your Rifles "maintaining their zero" from year to year.
I always make notes in my handloading log on whether a Rifle maintains zero from year to year.
As I get older I rely less on memory and more on notations.
I have had several Varminters out this month so far myself.
One Rifle that surprised me and did loose "zero" was my "new" Kimber SVT in 17 Mach2.
The "zero" from last year drifted nearly 1 1/2" (at 100 yards) from its initial sight-in "zero" last March (2,013).
Anyway I have noted this drift in my loading log pages dedicated to this Rifle.
I was surprised because this heavy barrel Rifle appears to be bedded nicely and the barrel free floated in its handsome and very heavy laminated stock?
The Rifle has a Leupold 6.5x20 EFR scope on it with exposed target knobs and IIRC the last Hunt I had it on (August 2,013) I had along an out of state long time friend and hunting buddy who LOVES to play practical jokes on me!
I would not put it past this 65 year old juvenile delinquent to have "tweeked" my scope when I was not looking!!!
Anyway if the "drifting" happens again by next sight-in verification time I will have to do some trouble-shooting.
Speaking of Browning 22 lever guns I hosted two friends from out of state who came out to buy two Jeep S.U.V.'s for cheap (and NO sales tax) hereabouts.
While they were here one of my friends bought a used but minty BLR in 22 L.R. and we set about to test fire and sight check the cool little Rifle (I believe it was a carbine style - or shorter of the two offered models of BLR?).
Anyway they were here just before Christmas and the highs of the days were in the 20 below zero range!
So how do two "pussies" from the warm coast sight in their Rifle without getting cold - they just got all their gear and targets ready at my house and we jumped in one of the brand new Jeeps that was equipped with window sand bags and headed for the range. In this case the range was a large gravel pit with 100'+ high walls (no wind).
The pansies didn't even have to get out of the heated Jeep they just put the target up out the window and then backed up and shot from inside the rig!
I even shot the cool little lever gun a few times.
Rifle worked great and the shakedown shoot was completed before they drove back to the coast.
I also use a coating of Break-Free to protect or coat my bores when they are going into storage.
I like it.
Have a good spring/summer season.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Riihimaki .222 heavy barrel with a 6x Burris. I never have to adjust it. It is always right on the money and very accurate. I also have it sighted 1 1/2" high at 100yds. It is deadly on badgers. In it's past it has done in a lot of Alaskan seals. One of my favorite guns.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BRoper
I have a Riihimaki .222 heavy barrel with a 6x Burris. I never have to adjust it. It is always right on the money and very accurate. I also have it sighted 1 1/2" high at 100yds. It is deadly on badgers. In it's past it has done in a lot of Alaskan seals. One of my favorite guns.

As is my Riihimaki. I don't know who did the custom build on this rifle, but the stock and barrel are first rate, and then some. I have a Leupold Gloss 4.5-14x40AO scope on mine. It makes for a great walking varminter and coyote calling rifle. Sometimes doubling as the back up bench gophergitter when I need to let the barrel cool on my heavy barrel Sako L-461 in 223.

Here is my Riihimaki in my hands right after making one of its many kills, a now headless half grown Rockchuck.

[Linked Image]

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Safariman: What a graphic and cool picture!
Reminds me of some of the sensational days I have had Hunting Rock Chucks in Idaho in years past!
Keep up the good work.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks, it was a fun day. As soon as all of this rain and snow goes away (last gasp of winter, I hope) I am hoping to replicate it. Same rifle etc.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, mine is a heavy barrel. I'd like to find one with sporter weight barrel for a walking vaminter but will never get rid of the heavy barrel. Planning a rockchuck hunt soon. This week doesn't look good weather wise. The weather guessers are saying rain through saturday. Hopefully next week.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, mine is a heavy barrel. I'd like to find one with sporter weight barrel for a walking vaminter but will never get rid of the heavy barrel. Planning a rockchuck hunt soon. This week doesn't look good weather wise. The weather guessers are saying rain through saturday. Hopefully next week.

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Yep, same in my stomping grounds so I reserved a table at agun show to try and make a little cash. Soon, though...... SPLAT!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
440 members (160user, 10ring1, 1lesfox, 300jimmy, 257 mag, 1lessdog, 47 invisible), 2,157 guests, and 927 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,595
Posts18,398,070
Members73,815
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.