Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
woo....who and i'm just getting into my time slots !!!>>>>>

Organizers on Monday at 5 p.m. hooked up the clock that will determine this year�s winner in Alaska�s richest guessing game.

Now it�s just a matter of time before a winner is decided in the annual lottery that is the 98th Nenana Ice Classic, a uniquely Alaskan contest in which thousands of residents around the state buy tickets to guess the exact date and time the Tanana River ice goes out in Nenana.

The clock is connected by a cable to a wooden tripod anchored in the Tanana River ice about 300 feet from shore. When the ice breaks up and the tripod moves or falls, the cable tightens and stops the clock on shore. The person(s) who guess the correct time will win or share in a jackpot that is expected to be somewhere in the neighborhood of $300,000.

As for when the ice will go out, Ice Classic manager Cherrie Forness said it�s anybody�s guess.

�The ice is pretty rotten now,� she said. �The ice looks thin and there are a few dark spots, so you know it�s rotting.�

The last time officials measured the ice, on April 14, it was still 36 1/2 inches thick, but it was deemed unsafe for another measurement last Thursday and will not be measured again before breakup, Forness said.

The Nenana River, which flows into the Tanana River about one-quarter of a mile downstream of where the tripod stands, has yet to go out but appears to be on the verge of doing so, she said. The Nenana River usually goes out five to seven days before the Tanana River breaks up, Forness said.

Longtime Ice Classic observer and helper Dennis Argall said there have been a couple of times when the Nenana and Tanana rivers went out at the same time, but Forness said that�s never happened in her 18 years at the helm of the event.

As is the case each year, a watchman went on duty when the clock was hooked up Monday and the clock will be under 24-hour guard until the ice goes out, Forness said.

Organizers will announce this year�s jackpot Thursday night, following a meeting of the board of directors. Last year�s jackpot was $318,500 and was won by a couple from Kenai, Warren and Yvonne Snow, who guessed the ice would go out at 2:40 p.m. on May 20. The ice actually went out at 2:41 p.m. but the Snows� guess was closest to the exact time and they were declared the sole winners of the jackpot.

Last year�s breakup was latest in the history of the 98-year-old event.

Ice Classic workers are still sorting tickets and entering guesses into a database, Forness said. There�s a good chance the ice will go out before the ticket sorting is done, so officials probably won�t know how many winners there are or who they are until well after the ice has gone out, she said.

I work harder than a ugly stripper....
GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
You can about hear it go from your house can't ya? smile

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hey >>> 738 am TODAY smile ! [Linked Image]

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
tomorrow 2:38

wink

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Running freshwater is another story I guess, but that would be another week at least if salt.

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
It's looking pretty gnarly in atv's pic. When can you get the boat in Klik?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Pretty sure we're going to get a May launch date this year; long time since we've had ice out so early - lots of color in it now.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ice went out, or so I heard

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Where is our man on the scene?

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle

--Pat Parelli

--ironbender
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
frown......

K
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
K
missed it by an hr and change!

kk alaska

Alaska 7 months of winter then 5 months of tourists
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
dang Kurt, soooo freakin close, but buying no cigars I reckon!

kind of a double loss for you, first the loot and then me as your new best friend

dang, just dang

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

576 members (11point, 007FJ, 12344mag, 160user, 10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 54 invisible), 2,941 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,354
Posts18,468,882
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.