Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
since ive been a Canon guy im thinking a Rebel T3i or T5 but since im more or less in the position of starting over if Nikon or Olympus or someone else in this price range that is significantly better im not against changing.....want the ability to shoot video like the T3i and T5 will

Last edited by rattler; 04/22/14.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
GB1

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
You'd be hard pressed to pass up a used D90 on ebay with 5000 or less actuations. ;-)

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
If video is an important factor look at the Sony A58. It's translucent mirror will AF with continuous tracking AF in both stills and Video. The T5i will do that with 3 lenses and the T3I with none. T5I is way out of the price range.
Next week the Olympus EPL5 is on promo with a 2 lens kit 14-42 and 40-150 for 499.99. It is amazing. Video as good as Sony and substantially smaller.
In addition to the great price members of the fire get a free case, 2 UV filters to protect the lenses, a 2 pack of class 10 16 gig cards and an extra battery.
Feel free to e-mail me or PM me with any questions

Joel Paymer
Camera Land
720 Old Bethpage Road
Old Bethpage, NY 11804
www.cameralandny.com
516-217-1000
[email protected]
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
or that... ^^

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
hadnt thought of that style of camera.....its an idea, however i was hoping to have it in my hands for the trip to Texas and i leave Friday and was planning on just stopping various places on the way and picking up something....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ordered the Olympus EPL5.....havent used a 4/3 before but got to thinking i usually wind up hauling my lil point and shoot more than the DSLR cause of wieght so maybe with the traveling im gonna do the Olympus was gonna be a better plan.....

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you didn't have to shoot video, I'd say a used Canon 40d.

"A man may not care for golf and still be human, but the man who does not like to see, hunt, photograph or otherwise outwit birds or animals is hardly normal. He is supercivilized, and I for one do not know how to deal with him." ~ Aldo Leopold
rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
ive messed with 40D's a fair bit, the paper has two of them and a 70D.....the Olympus showed up today and looks like its gonna be a nice comprimise between a small camera easy to pack around while traveling and being able to swap lenses for versatility....only thing i dont like so far is no built in flash but overall im impressed especially the quality of the kit lenses it comes with over the quality of the kit lenses that usually come with the low end DSLR's i was looking at.....need a good macro lens and it will be a darn good setup for me....

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Musta been a tough workout putting it together.. a whole bottle of gatorade sacrificed to make it happen. ;-)

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
grin found out in the list of assets we are splitting up the wife is insisting i take the Go-Pro which i found interesting as she was the one that really wanted to get it.....spent the morning figuring out how to use my smart phone as a remote to run it MUCH easier than the over simplified remote it comes with.....between the Go-Pro and the Olympus i should be able to document my time in Australia without much of a hiccup laugh

IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I think you'll really enjoy that camera. I went mirrorless about a year and a half ago (picked up a Nikon V1 with three lenses and a Canon EOS M with two lenses) and I really like having fully capable cameras that aren't bulky or heavy.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
thats pretty well what sold me, all the control you have with a DSLR and less bulk......got to the point i wasnt hauling anything but my point and shoot during hunting season cause the 40D or 70D was like packing another gun.....glad it was brought up when i asked cause i hadnt thought about the 4/3's

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The lack of good, aggressive, marketing of mirrorless cameras in the US is the only thing holding them back from greater popularity, in my opinion.

rattler Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
well im gonna use the hell out of it over the next few months so should be able to give a good run down of my likes and dislikes of it over a DSLR or P&S then......but i do really like what i see so far.....some of the reviews i saw said it was "over complicated" but after looking over pictures it didnt look any different than the 70D i had been using, guessing they meant for people stepping up from basic point and shoots.....and like i said the lack of a built in flash kinda sucks but until i use the setup that came with it for awhile i wont know for sure whether its really a big deal or not....

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

591 members (257 mag, 270cowboy, 10gaugemag, 1minute, 22magnut, 260Remguy, 70 invisible), 2,160 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,295
Posts18,448,991
Members73,900
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.