-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
It has been years since I bought a tube and I honestly don't know what's out there.

I need a tube for a shotgun I'm purchasing this week; it's a Remington 870 12ga, with a 21" barrel, 3" chamber. I plan on using Remington Hevi-shot or Winchester XX with 4, 5, or 6 shot.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I really like the Indian Creek tubes in Remingtons...

Enjoying Each Sunrise...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would recommend a tight one smile

It�s a magazine not a clip......

Advice is seldom welcome, and those who need it the most, like it the least.�
- Lord Chesterfield. 1750
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Indian Creek, Kick's, Pure Gold or The Jellyhead should do really well for you.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by StudDuck
It has been years since I bought a tube and I honestly don't know what's out there.

I need a tube for a shotgun I'm purchasing this week; it's a Remington 870 12ga, with a 21" barrel, 3" chamber. I plan on using Remington Hevi-shot or Winchester XX with 4, 5, or 6 shot.

Like I said to Rooster. The Jelly Head is tough to beat. I'm sure you can spend quite a bit more money and get an Indian Creek tube, but for $50 it's awfully hard to beat the Primos choke.

Camp is where you make it.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i bought an Indian Creek tube for my Beretta last year so i could shoot hevi shot and my old stand by Comp-n-Choke do not reccomend hevishot through them. i have been very please with it and just this past Sun for grins i shot a Win turkey load 2 3/4" #4 shot through it and all i can say is wow!. in heavy shot i have 3" #6 or 5's can't recall at the moment.

Help keep our sport going. take a kid outdoors!
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Indian Creek makes very good chokes. If you purchase their BDS choke and are not satisfied with the results, IC will exchange the choke with a diff ED.

For a cheaper choke, I recommend the Primos Jelly Head .660 for your short barreled gun.

For an even cheaper choke that performs very well, search online for a Remington Ventilator .655 choke. They say lead only merely because they were made back when lead was the primary turkey load and they advised against shooting larger unbuffered steel shot through them. Buffered HTL turkey loads work quite well in the VL.

Good Luck

loder

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by Reloader7RM
Indian Creek makes very good chokes. If you purchase their BDS choke and are not satisfied with the results, IC will exchange the choke with a diff ED.

For a cheaper choke, I recommend the Primos Jelly Head .660 for your short barreled gun.

For an even cheaper choke that performs very well, search online for a Remington Ventilator .655 choke. They say lead only merely because they were made back when lead was the primary turkey load and they advised against shooting larger unbuffered steel shot through them. Buffered HTL turkey loads work quite well in the VL.

Good Luck

loder

This

Oh, and believe it or not, deer bite. Fairly hard.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You've got some good advice. My 870 has a 23" barrel with an Indian Creek .665. I shoot 3.5 hevi magblends. Its a stone cold killer. Shot one on Easter morning at 40 yards. He never even flinched after the shot. Just a whole lot of dead. That choke is somewhat pricey, but worth it IMO. Same with the shells. I only shoot 3-4 shells a year if I'm lucky tho. Ka boom

What happens when you get scared half to death...twice?
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sold on Indian Creek Tubes also. Amazing to say the least..

IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by gunnut308
I'm sold on Indian Creek Tubes also. Amazing to say the least..

Yep..

Golden............
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks all, I appreciate the advice.

24HCF in its entirety, is solely responsible for why my children do not have college funds, my mortgage isn't paid-off and why I will never retire early enough to enjoy the remainder of my life.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Find you an old Remington Super Full Straight rifled tube. I have patterned a bunch of tubes over the last 15 years and this thing flat out performs way over the rest. They aren't made any more but if you do a little research you may find one out there. The tube I have has been shot in about 6 different guns from 21" to 28" barrels with #4 and #5 shot from the 3 main ammo companies and I have never seen a bad pattern from it. If I needed anything more than a standard full choke where I hunt that would be my go to tube.

The last time that bear ate a lawyer he had the runs for 33 days!
G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Primos JellyHead in .665!

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
The bottom line is anyone here can give you their preference on tubes. They may or may not work. The hard truth is, inorder ti get the most from your turkey gun you are going to have to try a bunch of chokes and ammo combinations. Here is my method

Research tube reviews. If possible find reviews of the chokes you are interested that utilized the same model of gun you have. Old Gobbler turkey forum is a great source of information for this aspect.

Next, get a cabelas catalog or get on their webite and order the chokes you have natrowed the list down to from your research. Once you get the tubes get a supply of good, well reviewed Turkey loads( Researching Old Gobbler will give you a good idea of good performing loads), and head to the range with a 4x8 sheet of plywood, a couple rolls of butchers paper, a can of black spray paint, and a package of the turkey head tagets. Cover the plywood in paper(this makes it easier to see pattern density incase your poi is different from your poa on the target. Make a black mark approximately 3 inches around centered i. The firat half of the board. Do the same on the second half. Shoot one round of each turkey load you choes to try through the first choke tube you try. I between each shot draw a ten inch circle around the densest part of the pattern and count pellets notating results in a notebook. Do this with each load from each choke tube at 40 yards. When you find the densest one. Put up a turkey target and start adjusting your sights with that combination. Then simply return the rest of the chokes to Cabelas. Buy a supply of the chosen ammo and hunt

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

595 members (007FJ, 1minute, 10ring1, 1Longbow, 1lessdog, 10gaugeman, 63 invisible), 2,979 guests, and 1,151 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,190,526
Posts18,452,842
Members73,901
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.