Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Just passing on a warning, which I am sure most handloaders don't need to be told...

Was told Sportsman's Warehouse got in a large shipment of primers... Remington, Winchester and Federal... Called them and they said yeah they had plenty of them... I asked about Small Rifle, and they said, Yeah WE have PLENTY of those...

So I made a trip over... and the only Small Rifle they had was Remington 6 1/2 Small Rifle....I had them holding me two bricks of them, but passed on them when I found out they were not the 7 1/2s...

But in the meantime, this one Black Guy that works there was busy telling a guy what he needed for the new AR he had just purchased.... so he gives the guy the 2 bricks I had passed on, along with a couple of boxes of 55 grain bullets...

I told the customer those were NOT for the 223, and especially within an AR.... The Black Guy employee gets all pissed off, and tells the guy yeah they are, they say small rifle right on the box... and walks off....having the customer follow him to check out up front...

So I ask the one other guy ( who is more senior) behind the counter about the Small Rifle Primers... " do you guys knw the difference between Rem 6 1/2 and 7 1/2 primers?" He tells me he didn't know about the numbers, they were just for small rifles is all he knew, or anyone else back there on duty knew...

I explained to him that the 6 1/2s were for the Hornet, or the 218 Bee, lower pressure cartridges like that...and if they were used in a regular pressure 223 load, get ready to have it start piercing the primer....and gas in the face...
and especially if shot in an AR.....then mentioned the guy with the AR up front checking out with 2 bricks of them...

so he goes up to the front of the store, just as the guy is checked out and leaving.... he mentions it to the custgomer and the black pipes in.."oh that idiot back there doesn't have a clue what he is talking about..."...

and also not realizing or caring evidently I am over hearing him as I am walking to the front of the store...

Oh the customer will probably be back anyway, before he shoots the ammo he was going to load....I also noticed the two boxes of 55 grain bullets he picked up, were 6mm, not 22 caliber....

But sadly this guy behind the counter who thinks he knows so much, and customers evidently don't, is a pompous little Schitt anyway....but I am sure his minority status, affords him job security....as he is the only black guy they have in there... and ya don't see any asians or hispanics working in there either...

be careful out there folks...

GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
The shock here is that someone actually believed something a counter turkey had to say.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Oh the customer will probably be back anyway, before he shoots the ammo he was going to load....I also noticed the two boxes of 55 grain bullets he picked up, were 6mm, not 22 caliber...

This guy does not need to be reloading until he reads up or has someone to help him. Not the gun store employee either. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Don't shoot Remingtons myself, so I didn't know that either. Sure wouldn't be quick to discount anyone who could tell me something about reloading I didn't know though.
Common sense would tell you if Remington makes more than one small rifle primer, there must be a difference that requires knowing!

LOL
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I am always surprised at how few folks are aware of the differences between the 6-1/2's and 7-1/2's, even many who are otherwise knowledgeable reloaders. You would think that Remington would put a "caution" on the 6-1/2's to make folks more aware of the potential issues.

At one time they had a caution on their website, and I see that on Midway's site they have a caution.

At least you tried to do the right thing.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Trying to be Helpy Helperton in the gunstore is a waste of time.

Most of the hired help know even less than the customers.

W
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
W
Seafire, Thanks for the tip.. I have loaded since I was 15, and really never thought about the Rem. primers.. I don't know if I ever had any most of my small rifle stuff has been CCI..Learned something today!!

Molon Labe
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
Stuff like this reminds me of why I'm glad I know everything.

Travis

Originally Posted by Geno67
Trump being classless,tasteless and clueless as usual.
Originally Posted by Judman
Sorry, trump is a no tax payin pile of shiit.
Originally Posted by KSMITH
My young wife decided to play the field and had moved several dudes into my house
R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
6.5s have very thin cups, 7.5s have some of the toughest cups in the business. Good, if you have a sloppy firing pin fit.

Calling the 7.5s "Benchrest" primers is a misnomer, though, at least in my rifles. Only the .204s I have think they're okay, the .223s don't like 'em, nor does my .221 Fireball, it'll double group sizes with 7.5s instead of 205Ms.

I keep the 6.5s around because I load Hornets, too, but that's all I use them for.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JSTUART
The shock here is that someone actually believed something a counter turkey had to say.

To be fair, there are some guys manning the counter who know a thing or two but I'd have to agree that they are vastly outnumbered. The less knowlegable ones can be entertaining though. Next time you know you've got one, ask to see a scope. Increase the zoom all the way and fiddle with it a little more and hand it back. As he's about to it it back in the case remind him to turn the magnification back down to minimum, which will always prompt the question "why?" Try to keep a straight face and say "so you won't burn the optics out." Its usually good for a laugh.

Don't be the darkness.

America will perish while those who should be standing guard are satisfying their lusts.

IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by deflave
Stuff like this reminds me of why I'm glad I know everything.

Travis

Same-o here. It truly is more of a blessing than a curse...

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Ratsmacker: Way back when I first started attending and observing at Bench Rest Matches in the Pacific Northwest most of the competitors were using the Remington 7 1/2 "Bench Rest primers.
Lots of them won their matches.
I only use Remington 7 1/2's anymore in two of my three 17 Remington Varmint Rifles.
Not for accuracy reasons but mostly for reputed strength (safety) and I have several thousand on hand and need to use them.
Years ago during one of the first "component shortages" I bought a lifetime supply of Federal 205 M (match) primers and use them almost exclusively anymore - again not so much for improved accuracy reasons but for availability.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If that guy loads those 6 1/2's and gets slamfires in that AR, he will get a good idea of who he should have listened to. whistle

"Give a lazy man the toughest job, and he will find the easiest way to do it"
Seafire, you are racist!!! I fully understand the point about mis-informed salesman. I, however, don't see where the race of the Salesman was relevant. It, on the contrary, shows you already had a bias. I'm sure you've ran into quite a few white, gun store clerk equally ignorant. It is your element, within the second amendment fight, that discourage minority support. You probably aren't qualified to do whatever job you have and try and justify your lot in life on some misguided sense of unfairness. You most probably would have been more effective with that situation if you would have come across less pompous! For all the good people on this forum, let's not fall for his race-baiting! His agenda has nothing to do with helping some guy get the correct primers for his loads.

Last edited by Earl48; 04/24/14.
S
Seafire Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Well Earl... since I saw you email ( being a carbon copy of this post)...I had to smile...

but any opinion I have regarding your post, and PM.. is overridden by the simple fact of your status as a Marine.. plus the E 8 or E 9 rank....Anyone who is a Marine, has my utmost respect, and frankly I will not voice opposition to their opinions. as they have earned the right to have any opinion on any subject they damned well feel....

That said.. you were the only one, who noticed ( or at least had an issue,) that this persons race or ethnicity was even mentioned.... so the only person it was evidently relevant to was yourself...

Then you go on to make the following quote...

You probably aren't qualified to do whatever job you have and try and justify your lot in life on some misguided sense of unfairness.

Well while you criticize someone as a "racist", for mentioning someone's minority status, you then in turn make some stereotype assumptions about my personal life, which have racist overtones of opinions usually coming from minorities, who a chip on their shoulder about their skin color or ethnic background.....or the other source is from some White Liberal Academic Type who excels in pouring that type of crap into college kids heads...

I'm not going to question the integrity of a US Marine, period... I disagree with your assessment, but I honor you right to believe it...

but in the case of said employee, I am also going to submit to the forum floor, there are some people who wear their minority status as some sort of status symbol in this country...and they abuse the hell out of it, to those they work with, the customers they wait on, the management they work under....

So they are acknowledging their skin color Big Time.... so by someone else acknowledging it also ( such as on this thread).. what makes one a "racist" and the other one not?

The word racist is one of the most abused words in American Society....NOT everyone gets upset, when someone calls them one...because it is an assumption based on by someone with the preconceived notions like you mention....( I've dealt with this clown at the store for 3 plus years, so my opinion on him is not based on preconceived notions, its based on plenty of experience and observation of him dealing with other customers)

I can only assume this was an issue for you since I would guess you have a minority status yourself... which is not an issue with me....not everyone white is a fantastic person, and neither is everyone of color... it just varies on their skin color by pointing it out, whether it is politically correct to mention it or not?

would you have had an issue, if I was black and pointed out that the sales clerk was white?

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Gotta love when someone with 16 posts trolls a guy with over 17000.I don't care if you were a Marine or not Earl48 you are out of line here.

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Earl48
Seafire, you are racist!!! I fully understand the point about mis-informed salesman. I, however, don't see where the race of the Salesman was relevant. It, on the contrary, shows you already had a bias. I'm sure you've ran into quite a few white, gun store clerk equally ignorant. It is your element, within the second amendment fight, that discourage minority support. You probably aren't qualified to do whatever job you have and try and justify your lot in life on some misguided sense of unfairness. You most probably would have been more effective with that situation if you would have come across less pompous! For all the good people on this forum, let's not fall for his race-baiting! His agenda has nothing to do with helping some guy get the correct primers for his loads.

Really? Wow...

There are 2 rules to success:

1. Never tell everything that you know.
Seafire, To answer your last question first; it would be irreverent to me the skin color of the clerk. My profession has afforded me the opportunity to interact with all races, creed and colors. In my world, they are just shades of Marine Corps green. Knuckleheads, ignorant, clueless, lazy, etc runs the gamut among them. I love 'em all, however I see no negative trend exclusive to any one race. All races have that element within it that we could do without. If you felt the clerk was giving the other customer dangerous advise, you should have voiced your concerns to the store management. I'm sure they would have intervene. If that clerk is a liability, I'm sure they would train him or release him. Contrary to what you may think, I don't think there is a minority quota at your local gun store. If they felt he was endangering customers, he'd be gone. You indicate you've dealt with this clerk for 3 years. Wow! You still shop there? Have you voiced your concerns to management? "but I am sure his minority status, affords him job security....as he is the only black guy they have in there... and ya don't see any asians or hispanics working in there either...". What does that mean? If the store is staffed by all white guys, service/advice would be perfect? Friend, I just recently returned from Afghanistan. I've seen too much and how all these young people come together when times get tough. Color didn't matter when a Taliban sniper was taking his best shots or you ran into an ambush and had to fight through it. Your comments reminded me of Lewis Calipini and Joshua Scott. Two Marines I knew very well! They were the best of friends. Died on the same day in Iraq. And just happen to be of different ethnic background. We, as a nation, is better than that. If you were specifically advising folks to not deal with that guy at that store, ok. However, that was not the case. I think, and you'll agree, his race added nothing to your post. It only suggested his race was indicative of the service rendered and that sentiment is racist. Semper Fidelis!

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by Earl48
Seafire, To answer your last question first; it would be irreverent to me the skin color of the clerk. My profession has afforded me the opportunity to interact with all races, creed and colors. In my world, they are just shades of Marine Corps green. Knuckleheads, ignorant, clueless, lazy, etc runs the gamut among them. I love 'em all, however I see no negative trend exclusive to any one race. All races have that element within it that we could do without. If you felt the clerk was giving the other customer dangerous advise, you should have voiced your concerns to the store management. I'm sure they would have intervene. If that clerk is a liability, I'm sure they would train him or release him. Contrary to what you may think, I don't think there is a minority quota at your local gun store. If they felt he was endangering customers, he'd be gone. You indicate you've dealt with this clerk for 3 years. Wow! You still shop there? Have you voiced your concerns to management? "but I am sure his minority status, affords him job security....as he is the only black guy they have in there... and ya don't see any asians or hispanics working in there either...". What does that mean? If the store is staffed by all white guys, service/advice would be perfect? Friend, I just recently returned from Afghanistan. I've seen too much and how all these young people come together when times get tough. Color didn't matter when a Taliban sniper was taking his best shots or you ran into an ambush and had to fight through it. Your comments reminded me of Lewis Calipini and Joshua Scott. Two Marines I knew very well! They were the best of friends. Died on the same day in Iraq. And just happen to be of different ethnic background. We, as a nation, is better than that. If you were specifically advising folks to not deal with that guy at that store, ok. However, that was not the case. I think, and you'll agree, his race added nothing to your post. It only suggested his race was indicative of the service rendered and that sentiment is racist. Semper Fidelis!

Yes we get it, your shyte doesn't stink...but what has any of that got to do with the original post?

And please don't dwell on the "black" bit as it wasn't used to denigrate the counter turkey...his lack of knowledge and pissy attitude were the articles being questioned.

These are my opinions, feel free to disagree.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I found the difference out the hard way. Bought a Remington 700 in 222 mag. from a guy. Lots of pierced primers. This was with a box of hand loads he gave me with the rifle. When asked he said he used 6 1/2 promers. I switched to 7 1/2 with my loads. End of problem.
I seems like the larger gun stores hire idiots. I have better luck at the smaller gun shops.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

332 members (160user, 1lesfox, 06hunter59, 10ring1, 16penny, 12344mag, 29 invisible), 1,716 guests, and 952 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,178
Posts18,465,550
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.