Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
This is just information from a Vegas TV station

http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25302186/an-abbreviated-look-at-rancher-cliven-bundys-family-history

LAS VEGAS -- It has been widely reported that Cliven Bundy�s family claims to have ranched in the Bunkerville area since the 1870s even though a federal judge held a different view of Bundy�s history.

Bundy repeated a similar claim Thursday when he told TheBlaze website: �My family has preemptive, adjudicated livestock water rights filed with the state of Nevada. They were established in 1877 when the first pioneers entered the valley. Among those first pioneers were my grandparents from my mother�s side. My father either bought or inherited his Nevada state livestock water rights and I, in turn, have done the same.�

Contrast that with the 1998 opinion from U.S. District Judge Johnnie Rawlinson in a case where it was determined Bundy wouldn�t be allowed to use federal land for his cattle because of failure to pay grazing fees to the Bureau of Land Management. Rawlinson wrote that it wasn�t until roughly 1954 that �Bundy or his father or both have grazed livestock on public lands owned by the United States and administered by the BLM.�

Clark County Recorder documents show the 160-acre Bunkerville ranch Bundy calls home was purchased by his parents, David and Bodel Bundy, from Raoul and Ruth Leavitt on Jan. 5, 1948. The purchase included the transfer to the Bundys of certain water rights, including water from the nearby Virgin River. Cliven Bundy was born in 1946.
Land Deed - showing sale of ranch to Cliven Bundy's parents

Although no Bundys lived in Bunkerville in 1930 or 1940, according to Census records for those years, Cliven Bundy�s mother Bodel and her parents, John and Christena Jensen, lived in neighboring Mesquite in the early 20th Century.

1940 Mesquite Census - showing Jensen family information

Census records from 1930 indicate that John was a Mesquite farmer originally from Utah whose parents were from Denmark. Those records state the farm was near Main Street and a bridge over the Virgin River.

Separate records from the website FamilySearch, which is sponsored by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, indicate that Christena Jensen was born in Nevada in 1901 and that Bodel Jensen was born in Nevada in 1924. Christena Jensen�s parents originally were from Utah. This is the side of the family where Cliven Bundy claims long-standing livestock water rights.

Federal grazing districts were established with passage by Congress of the Taylor Grazing Act of 1934. The Las Vegas area grazing district was established Nov. 3, 1936. The Bureau of Land Management was formed in 1946, the year Cliven Bundy was born.

County records show the earliest construction on Bundy�s ranch was in 1951. The land is zoned rural open land. Since 1994 the ranch has been jointly owned by the David A. and Bodel Bundy Trust and the Bundy Revocable Trust.

Census records show that Cliven Bundy�s paternal great-grandfather, Illinois native Abraham Bundy, lived in Littlefield Village in Mohave County, Ariz., as early as 1900. Abraham Bundy was credited in 1916 with establishment in Mohave County of Bundyville, otherwise known as Mt. Trumbull, according to a history of the Arizona Strip on the Northern Arizona University website.
1900 Arizona Census - showing Bundy family

Abraham Bundy�s children included Cliven Bundy�s paternal grandfather, Roy Bundy, who was born in Nebraska. Two of Roy Bundy�s children were born in Nevada around World War I but Roy Bundy and his family returned to Mt. Trumbull and lived there for many years.
1940 Arizona Census - showing Bundy family members

One of Roy Bundy�s sons was David A. Bundy, Cliven Bundy�s father. David Bundy, who was born in Arizona, lived in Mt. Trumbull until at least 1940, according to Census records.`

Originally Posted by jorgeI
...Actually Sycamore, you are sort of right....
BP-B2

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
http://www.8newsnow.com/story/25301551/bundys-ancestral-rights-come-under-scrutiny

LAS VEGAS -- Federal authorities remain silent about their next plans to confront Cliven Bundy at his Bunkerville ranch.

Both sides are fighting over history, with federal courts denying Bundy's claims of "ancestral rights" on the Virgin River valley. The I-Team dug into century-old records to examine Bundy's claims.

At the Bunkerville camp next to Cliven Bundy's ranch, there are constant reminders of history.

Revolutionary War flags, ancient Greek mottos and native American symbols, all mixing together to create a growing identity and narrative for protestors.

This land is unusually fertile and green for southern Nevada. Cliven Bundy grows melons there. They are said to be the best in the state.

His cattle, until recently, roamed freely on land managed by the federal Bureau of Land Management. Before the roundup that sparked protests, confrontations and gunmen taking a bridge, Bundy explained his "ancestral rights" to the I-Team.

"I've lived my lifetime here. My forefathers have been up and down the Virgin Valley here ever since 1877. All these rights that I claim, have been created through pre-emptive rights and beneficial use of the forage and the water and the access and range improvements," Bundy said.

Clark County property records show Cliven Bundy's parents moved from Bundyville, Arizona and bought the 160 acre ranch in 1948 from Raoul and Ruth Leavitt.

Water rights were transferred too, but only to the ranch, not the federally managed land surrounding it. Court records show Bundy family cattle didn't start grazing on that land until 1954.

The Bureau of Land Management was created 1946, the same year Cliven was born.

"My rights are before the BLM even existed, but my rights are created by beneficial use. Beneficial use means we created the forage and the water from the time the very first pioneers come here," Bundy said.

Early census records show Cliven's maternal grandmother, Christena Jensen, was born in Nevada in 1901. One genealogical researcher says records indicate Jensen helped settle Bunkerville some years later.

One word spreading through Bundy supporters and his armed guards is that what the federal government is doing to Bundy is exactly what they did to native Americans.

"They are literally treating western United States citizens, ranchers, rural folks like this- are the modern day Indians. We're being driven off of our lands. We're being forced into reservations known as cities," Justin Giles, an Oathkeeper from Alaska, said.

The local Paiute Indians were forced into reservations by federal troops in 1875. Two years prior, the tribe was promised the same land Cliven Bundy now grows his melons ,and until recently, grazed his cattle.

The I-Team's research team has come up with an in-depth look at the genealogy and property records that form the basis of Cliven Bundy's claim of ancestral rights on the ranch land.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
County records show the earliest construction on Bundy�s ranch was in 1951.

1951 to 1993 is 42 years of ranching before the [bleep]. Pay us extra for turtle damage causes by your cows, they said. Bundy said [bleep] you. Why do the libby's want to make him look like a bad guy? Will he be easier to kill by you cacksuckers?

I think what we ought to do, is take back some of that oil and gas rich land we gave the tribes. Blame endangered turtles or some chit. grin

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Have you ever been to Bundyville? I have.

Sycamore

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
So you know as much as the blm I take it. Or do you work for blm? Would you like to shoot Bundy and his family for turtle damage? Or are you pissed they don't pay for land use like the navajo's?

Son of a liberal: " What did you do in the War On Terror, Daddy?"

Liberal father: " I fought the Americans, along with all the other liberals."

MOLON LABE

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Sycamore
Have you ever been to Bundyville? I have.

Sycamore

Biggest deer I've ever seen or will ever see was close to there

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From the deep recesses of my albums........here's a photo of the Mt. Trumbull schoolhouse from my muley trip there in 1994. The town, located in the Arizona Strip.......was originally named Bundyville for the regional family. It was changed at some point. Mt. Trumbull is also the present name of the large mountain thereby.

The remote schoolhouse (50+ miles from pavement) incredibly was burned to the ground by vandals in the late 1990's or early 2000's.....and was rebuilt by volunteers where it still stands today.

When I was there in the innocent days of 1994........the doors were unlocked and the folks had tables laid out full of photos of the school and the people and the area from yesteryear........for all of us trustworthy law-abiding folk to enjoy and to be fascinated with.

[Linked Image]

Confucius say: He who angers you.......controls you.

My Lifestance is one of Secular Humanism.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Here's the rebuilt schoolhouse taken on my scouting trip there during September 2012.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by watch4bear
So you know as much as the blm I take it. Or do you work for blm? Would you like to shoot Bundy and his family for turtle damage? Or are you pissed they don't pay for land use like the navajo's?

non-sequitur much? crazy

I just like the Bundy history, and the country they came to make their own.

Whitmore, Parashant, Andrus Canyons....you could spend a lot of weeks in there.

Whitmore Point, Kelly Point, Snap Point, Grand Gulch, Hidden, Pigeon and Last Chance Canyons.

I don't know Cliven, never met him. The Bundys I have met have been solid, resourceful, quiet, respectful and respectable.

They know that country and the mule deer out there pretty well, probably as well as anybody. And they love it better than anybody.

Sycamore

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Sycamore

County records show the earliest construction on Bundy�s ranch was in 1951. The land is zoned rural open land. Since 1994 the ranch has been jointly owned by the David A. and Bodel Bundy Trust and the Bundy Revocable Trust.

A trust fund baby to this day? No kidding? Sooooooo......just where in the world did he get his entitlement, freebie syndrome from?

IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
TuWeep Canyon.

[Linked Image]

TuWeep Overlook of Grand Canyon.

[Linked Image]

Snow on Mt Trumbull May 23, 2008.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Looking south into the Grand Canyon.

[Linked Image]

Fawkin' rub-a-dub-dub!

[Linked Image]

Mt Logan muleys.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Drinker on Mt Trumbull.

[Linked Image]

Flats in unit 13A where soooo many bigguns have been whacked.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Diamond Butte 13B.

[Linked Image]

Rub me please.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Ugly-a$$ scenery where I hunted in 13B November 2012.

[Linked Image]

Drink 'em up in 13B.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Cliffrose.....yummy.

[Linked Image]

Grassy Mtn in 13B.

[Linked Image]

Mt Dellenbaugh.

[Linked Image]

Seegmiller Mtn.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by StripBuckHunter
Looking south into the Grand Canyon.

[Linked Image]

Nice pics!

I was out at the end of Whitmore point last month. (center far right in this pic) We could see into Whitmore on one side and Parashant on the other.

Your pic is from around Mt Logan, looking south across Whitmore Canyon. Bar 10 Ranch and Pa's Pocket are out of sight below the rim, in Whitmore. Actually, Whitmore is the boundary between 13A and 13B in this area.

Great shots!

Sycamore

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

If he's lying about being there since 1877, it ain't helping his case.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
In my mind it is more about the disparate show of force than the actual issue. Why does the BLM have an interdiction team and german shepards?

I think it speaks in many more ways than the obvious.

Last edited by supercrewd; 04/23/14.

NRA Life Member
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Headed west, off the Uninkarets, toward the schoolhouse.

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
YB23

Who's Online Now
622 members (09wingates, 2003and2013, 007FJ, 160user, 10gaugeman, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,517 guests, and 1,156 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,187,599
Posts18,398,261
Members73,817
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.