Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
224th Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I killed my bird today but want to put a red dot/eotech type site on my SBE. I will use it for coyote hunting also.any suggestions? Good or bad will be appreciated .
Thanks in advance.
224TH

Last edited by 224th; 04/20/14.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a Leupold Delta Point coming this week. I'll let you know how I like it.

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
224th Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
What size did you get? 3.5 or 7.5?
224TH

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It's the 3.5,

Want To Buy;
Form die for a 7mm Mashburn Super.
.284 Hornady AMax 162gr.
.224 Hornady AMax 75gr.
22-250 bushing die
Bushing die that will work with the 7mm Mashburn Super
A couple Glock 42 380ACP mags
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
It maybsound dumb but I have had excellent luck with a tru glo gobble stopper in my 835

The government plans these shootings by targeting kids from kindergarten that the government thinks they can control with drugs until the appropriate time--DerbyDude

Whatever. Tell the oompa loompa's hey for me. [/quote]. LtPPowell

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I have been running the Burris FF's on my guns. The customer service is great if you need it

I may not be smart but I can lift heavy objects

I have a shotgun so I have no need for a 30-06.....
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Well I don't like red dot's on my turkey gun but if I was going to do it, it would be an Eotech.

Camp is where you make it.
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Burris FFs are pretty darn nice for turkey guns. I'm running 3 of those now and thinking of going with either the Leupold DP2 or the new Refield Accelerator on the next. The Redfield is similar to the Burris FF3.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aimpoint 9000SC. Darn near bulletproof.

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I put a EoTech EXPS2 on my 870 for turkey, I like that it's a true reflex sight and you don't need to center the dot in the scope which is nice when having to shoot in ackward positions.

IC B3

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Ok, honest question here. Why do you feel the need for a red-dot of scope on your turkey gun? You're shooting a shotgun, at a bird from 50 yards on it.

I have bad eyes and don't really have any issues with it.

To each his own as far as I'm concerned. Have at it. I just never understood it. I have tried it, and decided it isn't for me. It's another item added to the gun to break or malfunction.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I think a lot depends on the country you are hunting in. Out here in CA we hunt steep and heavy timbered and brush country. The scope is very handi for shooting in this type of terrain and both my Daughter and Granddaughters shoot scoped guns. I have in the past but since losing the sight in my shooting eye I have gone to a Burris FF 3 this year and have been very happy with it. Bottom line is to each his or hers own.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I REALLY like the Burris Speed Bead. Can use it for anything that I use a shotgun for. It mounts out of the way.

[Linked Image]

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
T,

It's a night and day difference, I'll never go back to a bead. I turkey hunt with handloads in guns/chokes that give extremely tight patterns at close range, so being off the slightest amount with the bead or even open sights can cause a clean miss. With a reflex you're not adding anymore weight than an extra shell and the ease of just putting the dot on his head to shoot is worth it. You can have the dot anywhere on the screen as there is no paralax, which allows you to shoot in very awkward positions. With todays loads and chokes giving very tight patterns, it's very easy to not have your head down on the stock for a bead or open sight causing one to shoot high. Even though I've killed pile of toms, I still get very nervous and shaky when one comes in. The red dot makes it SO much easier to hit them when the tom fever sets in.

My Dad looks at it like you, it's a shotgun, the bead is all I need. Well, a few years back he wanted to start using my handloads and a good choke, so he could kill a bit farther when toms hung up. Even though his gun shoots dead on with the bead if you hold steady, he's missed several birds since moving to the tighter loads. He's sort of considering mounting a red dot after missing a large 3yo tom at 30yds a couple weeks back. I'm going to try to get him to just run one of my rigs so equiped next year if I can get him away from his trusty Browning. If he likes it, I'll set up his gun for a reflex. I'm convinced that he'll increase his hit %.

Everyone has to go with what works for them.

loder

224th Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
The main reason I want one is to make it easier to see. I will use it on my shotgun for turkeys and coyotes my pistol for playing and deer hunting and my AR for close in work.I have used clamp on sights and they work great but want something to put my pattern dead center. I don't really need it BUT I want it.
224TH

[Linked Image]

Last edited by 224th; 04/23/14.
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Why do you feel the need for a red-dot of scope on your turkey gun? You're shooting a shotgun, at a bird from 50 yards on it.

Well first of all because it has been my experience that most shotguns do not throw the center of their patterns perfectly to point of aim with the factory bead sight. I used to use adjustable open sights to correct this but my eyes aren't what they used to be and even at my best I never shot the open sights as accurately as I do the red dot. My gun throws a pretty tight pattern and it's pretty important to hold true on gobblers that manage to get in close. Also no matter what funky position I have to shoot from that red dot is consistent. If the dots on his head that sucker is dead. I am right handed and on two different occasions since I started using a red dot I have had to switch over and shoot left handed on birds that slipped in on the wrong side of me. Killed them both. Probably wasn't beautiful shooting form in either case but it didn't matter. Red dot on the head, bird was dead. There is no magnification so your field of view is not restricted especially if you use one of the reflex types. Heck I know people who have a Burris Speed Bead on their dove gun.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Sakoluvr
I REALLY like the Burris Speed Bead. Can use it for anything that I use a shotgun for. It mounts out of the way.

[Linked Image]

I tried the speed bead for the first time this season and like it as well. You can turn it off and still use the normal bead with it still mounted.

I'm a big fan of a red dot or scope on a turkey gun because of the distorted positions I'll often shoot from. I usually take a bird or buck every year shooting left handed because of the direction it comes from....it's tough to do that and get lined up right with just a bead.

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I guess the biggest problem I have with them is it's something else to bump. I'd not rule one out completely, especially the EoTech or the Speed Bead. I had a Bushnell red/green dot scope before and I just couldn't get used to it. It was clunky, and I just never did trust it.

I'm willing to try it with one of the two mentioned above, but I'd have to try someone elses first. I've eaten too many purchases. grin

T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by JCMCUBIC

I tried the speed bead for the first time this season and like it as well. You can turn it off and still use the normal bead with it still mounted.

That is a nice thing to know. At least if something happened to the sight, your hunt isn't done for the day.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I have had it on my Benelli SBE for around 5 years and would replace it without hesitation. I store an extra battery under the magazine cap. I wrap it in masking tape to prevent any battery drain, and it sits in there just fine.

I also love being able to grab the gun around the receiver without a "scope" getting in the way. Don't need to have your gun drilled/tapped for a mount either.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

639 members (160user, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 1973cb450, 70 invisible), 2,952 guests, and 1,215 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,263
Posts18,467,116
Members73,925
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.